Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

I just don't think you should completely write off his bid just for saying ''We are not American, and want to fly the flag."

I dont think he is trying to be xenophobic just that this is an English club competing in an English sport and that could give them an advantage one he would like to remind the fans of. As I've said I'm not saying I want Padfeild to win, but I don't see why people are so whole-heartly behind one bid as a pose to another when not much is known about one if not either.

Because, as I've said before and will continue to say..... It isn't just about one comment from Padfield or AV06. I've said my various reasons are in this thread and others.

Its a combination of things that have made me very wary.

To put it simply - I do not want someone in control of AVFC who are happy to resort to some of the comments and tactics we've seen over the past couple of days.

I'm standing right beside you on this one Runetune. 8)

Shoulder to shoulder :P

Notice, :P I didn't stay standing right 'behind' you.

Looks like your moral high ground on Padfield's xenophobia just collapsed, mind..

:? Just trying to lighten the mood icklevillan. If I've offended, Im genuinely sorry.

Would have thought someone from California would have known better. Never been to Venice Beach, clearly ;):P

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't think you should completely write off his bid just for saying ''We are not American, and want to fly the flag."

I dont think he is trying to be xenophobic just that this is an English club competing in an English sport and that could give them an advantage one he would like to remind the fans of. As I've said I'm not saying I want Padfeild to win, but I don't see why people are so whole-heartly behind one bid as a pose to another when not much is known about one if not either.

Because, as I've said before and will continue to say..... It isn't just about one comment from Padfield or AV06. I've said my various reasons are in this thread and others.

Its a combination of things that have made me very wary.

To put it simply - I do not want someone in control of AVFC who are happy to resort to some of the comments and tactics we've seen over the past couple of days.

I'm standing right beside you on this one Runetune. 8)

Shoulder to shoulder :P

Notice, :P I didn't stay standing right 'behind' you.

Looks like your moral high ground on Padfield's xenophobia just collapsed, mind..

:? Just trying to lighten the mood icklevillan. If I've offended, Im genuinely sorry.

Would have thought someone from California would have known better. Never been to Venice Beach, clearly ;):P

I guess, being from California, one gets very tired of the rampant political correctness. Still no excuse. I think I need to be sentenced to sensitivity training courses. :bang:

PS, we'd better get back on topic before the mods chastise us. :winkold:

Could most of the last three pages been conducted by PM?

And why is it necessary to quote the whole post in each reply? - Laziness?

I'm with you. Sorry it got out of hand. :oops: Damn, that's two apologies on one thread. I'll have to lay low for a while. :bang:

OK but having been away from the PC for 2 hours and come back to find it has grown so much I thought something had happened.

Can't we have a sticky 'I love the Septics' thread? :)

Did you mean 'septics' or 'sceptics' mate?

But seriously, I would say that most Americans, at least in my circle of influence really LOVE the English, but worry that the English don't love us back. It's almost as if we Americans have an inferiority complex. You guys (the English) are basically our parent country.

There's definitely a strong anglophilia that persists in the US to this day, moreso if you add the more celtic affinities in, so I guess that a general "british isles-philia" fits better. Perhaps it's oedipalesque; I know that I generally give substantial extra points for any accent from the Isles (cf. Keira Knightley, Elizabeth Hurley, Rosamund Pike, etc.)... :D

There's definitely a strong anglophilia that persists in the US to this day, moreso if you add the more celtic affinities in, so I guess that a general "british isles-philia" fits better. Perhaps it's oedipalesque; I know that I generally give substantial extra points for any accent from the Isles (cf. Keira Knightley, Elizabeth Hurley, Rosamund Pike, etc.)...

Try being irish. Jeesh, the american folks love us! They all claim to be irish. :lol: I work for a joint irish-american Software company and they think we're great

ON TOPIC: The faster the shareholders get their forms in the better isn't that right? The quicker they are in the better chance he could get over 90% and take us of the market. correct?

I do not want Padfield.

His interview on Five Live, he sounded like a bumbling idiot with no grasp of the English game. Again, it matters little, he won't be involved in the day to day running of the club.

My impression was that he could have been talking about anything - a food processing plant, a farm, a manufacturer of radiators. He was discussing a potential business investment which would make money, and that's about as far as it went for him. I got no sense of understanding what is different about this particular kind of business.

If that's the person they chose to front up the bid and impress people, then I have to say it didn't do anything for me.

There seems a striking similarity of actions between the Padfield fronted AV06 and Neville's consortium.

Neville offered to walk away if Lerner paid him some money. Padfield was quoted as saying AV06 would walk away if Lerner invested £30m in team building straight away.

Both consortiums are fronted by individuals with consortium members remaining anonymous.

Padfield and Neville rubishing Lerner's bid and the man himself and trying to stir up unrest with the fans. The main vehicle for there announcements being the local Evening Mail. For a financial package of in excess of £100m I think I would be going to the nationals or TV to break the story, not a grubby local reporter (Mods. am I allowed to say this?).

Neither seem to be able to get to the point of putting a bid together. Almost like they are waiting for backers to come in and support them i.e. they hadn't got backers of sufficient financial standing before they announced they were going to bid. They just seem to be stalling all the time.

The first point above is the one that is really puzzling me. Are AV06 using it as a PR exercise to say to the fans "look we are doing this in the best interest of the club" and try and get the fans on their side. Or is somebody just trying to get more money out of Lerner.

I think if we end up with AV06 we will have more 'players' in the consortium than Chelsea have in their squad!

With regards to the magic 10 days does anybody know when it started. Everybody seems to think it will end at close of the SE next Wednesday. I initially thought this myself but have thought about it again.

Was it from when the announcement was made to the SE or was it when Ellis and Petchy accepted Lerner's offer (I know the offer is to buy the club but these two are the key). If so, when did he make the offer and they accept. It was obviously after close of the SE on the Friday and before Monday morning as it was all done and dusted for when it opened at 7am. The rumours were going around about the bid at about 1am Monday morning.

It is stated in the announcement that another bidder will have to exceed Lerner's offer by 5% but it has been discussed on here that it also has to be a bid that is acceptable to Doug Ellis so that he can recommend it to the shareholders. Where has this come from. If this is the case, is the 10 day deadline for submitting the bid, having it vetted by Rothchilds or approved by Ellis.

I am getting totally confused and concerned that I do not understand the situation.

I just have a feeling, no one has seen or heard from still since he was at Villa park!

And that padfield has Swedish backers in his consortium! You know little things like that maybe its my imagination running over time!

Just ignore me!

Didn't 'British Bull Dog' Padfield have the 'Great' Danes! :lol:

It was reported in the press that Still was seen leaving Villa Park but wasn't this before Padfield's statement that nobody from AV06 had spoken to Doug Ellis.

RANDY LERNER has inched closer towards completing the £62.6million takeover of Aston Villa — as rival consortium AV06 face a rap across the knuckles from the Takeover Panel.

AV06, fronted by judge Nicholas Padfield, announced on Tuesday that they would be mounting a £70m counter-bid.

But to go public with an intention is against the complicated Stock Exchange rules. Now some investors may decide to hang on to their holdings, hoping to rake in even more money.

That could slam the brakes on Lerner’s buy-out — delaying it until after the transfer window closes.

AV06 have nearly run out of time to make an unconditional offer for the club.

If they fail to approach the brokers Rothschild today, then Lerner can put the champagne on ice. The American billionaire’s bid was accepted by Villa chairman Doug Ellis on Monday.

Fellow majority shareholder Jack Petchey also agreed to sell his 20 per cent, giving Lerner 56 per cent of the club.

He can complete the takeover 21 days from his offer — and sooner if shareholders agree to sell immediately.

clicky

Hmmm....

Where have they got that info from, that if AV06 don't approach Rothschild on Thursday then they've run out of time? Is this some sort of internal Rothschild deadline which they've set so they can properly consider any other bids before the 10 days are up?