Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

ANd then what happens when MON walks out and it's obvious why? What will the pressure on the man be like then having just lost the services of , arguably, the best manager we have had in almost 30 years?

Pressure means nothing to Doug - its never bothered him before.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANd then what happens when MON walks out and it's obvious why? What will the pressure on the man be like then having just lost the services of , arguably, the best manager we have had in almost 30 years?

Pressure means nothing to Doug - its never bothered him before.

Fans gets annoyed, and it dies away after a week.

Like normal.

I would hope O'Neill would leave as soon as he found out the takeover wasn't going to happen!

That would screw over Doug good and proper :D

So if we as mere men of the terraces suspect this would happen, is it not reasonable to assume that the great Ellis himself will also realise it?

I would hope O'Neill would leave as soon as he found out the takeover wasn't going to happen!

So if we as mere men of the terraces suspect this would happen, is it not reasonable to assume that the great Ellis himself will also realise it?

I think so.

We've waited thirty so years to get rid of Ellis. Personally, I don't mind waiting another week, month, whatever...

Doubt it, the blokes ego is massive and along with the fact he is always right and everyone else is wrong!

I think he could realistically believe he can do a good job and still stay in power.

this is why i was hoping for an appointment AFTER a new board had took over.

With the most of the fans the Apathy Blanket is snugly on. Some think that the thin bare injury prone squad we had last week has turned in to a bunch of super-heroes.

Im still worrying.

Doubt it, the blokes ego is massive and along with the fact he is always right and everyone else is wrong!

If that was the case and Ellis did not give a **** about fans or their opinion, or the pressure he would get, then why appoint MON to just get the fans back on side? Why not just appoint a crap cheaper Sounessesque alternative?

I don't think either Lerner, or any of his people have publicly said a dicky bird have they? There's not even been any "sources close to.." type stuff reported, really.

Publically is the key word here IMO

There hasn't been any management of fan opinion by Lerner, unless you count complete silence. Or am i missing something, Pete?

Maybe then the fans who make the claims about what Ellis said to Lerner and vice versa are making it up? Interestingly these are the same fans who knew the bid was coming in advance of it being in the media. The same fans who have "allowed" the rumours of transfer budgets to be made general "knowledge"

Now I know that possibly these people wont like to think they have had their opinion "managed", but sometimes thats life, there's nothing sinister in it just a guy going about his business is a very professional way.

People who have met or dealt with Lerner have a very high opinion of him. That good word spreads. But it's not IMO "management" of his image or whatever, it's simply a reflection of his (as you say) professional and thorough approach and good nature.

There's no "I know best" more like "let's find out what's what, from the best people to ask and then go from there".

It's been reported by PM on the bbc that Larner met O'Neill and O'Neill is very impressed with him. Did Lerner "manage" his image with MO'N, or is it simply a case of O'Neill finding him to be excellent (or whatever) and then telling PM this?

We're kind of going over the same stuff, but I think it's important to understand whether he is an arch/skilled manipulator, or a "straight guy"

I believe it's the second of these.

I believe it's the second of these.

sure, me too

However, it is important, i think, to accept that just because one of his associates says that "such and such is true" is not the same as saying that it *is* true, especially when there is no possible way of ever knowing or hearing an account from the other side. For example, I am sure that if you asked Pat Murphy (who is close with Ellis I believe) what he felt happened in that meeting, you would get a different response.

all businesses seek to manipulate their customer's opinion of them, there is nothing wrong with it. Some people are terrible at it (Ellis for example, as his spin is too transparent), others are clearly very good at it. This doesnt make them arch manipulators, it makes them good at PR.

It would be my experience that people will paint a certain picture that suits the image they wish to portray, either of themsleves, or of an event. Without the balance of hearing the other side, it is difficult to be sure 100%.

To be honest, I am not convinced that the meeting last week was as black and white as it has been protrayed to me. This doesnt mean that i think lerner is a bad guy, far from it, but in general it pays not to be trusting until you have seen, first hand, that such trust is well placed.

Always look for the motivation.

£12m in debt, but Villa sale still on Aug 9 2006

By John Revill, Business Staff

The battle to buy Aston Villa Football Club is still on, despite new figures showing it turned a cash surplus into £12 million debt last season.

Calls for chairman Doug Ellis to step down and sell the club intensified last night as its annual financial report revealed losses trebled during its year of turmoil.

But the poor returns on and off the pitch have not deterred potential bidders, including American billionaire Randy Lerner and Michael Neville, while new manager Martin O'Neill has been promised some transfer funds.

Mr Ellis, who owns a 39 per cent stake, admitted the 2005/06 season had been a "huge disappointment" but said the board had supported former manager David O'Leary with transfer funds and a 20 per cent increase in wages, amounting to a total of £18.2 million.

"This investment was not reflected in the performances on the field," said the 82-year-old chairman.

According to the preliminary results for the year ending May 31:

* Villa's slump to 16th in the Premiership was blamed for a £600,000 surplus in 2005 turning into a £12.1 million debt.

* Attendances down by 8.7 per cent.

Pre-tax losses increasing £2.6 million to £8.2 million, while revenue decreased from £51.6 million to £49 million.

* The wage bill rising by £5.2 million to £38.3 million, representing "an unhealthy" 78.1 per cent of revenue. Jonathan Fear, chairman of the Aston Villa Shareholders' Association, said the figures were not a surprise but showed why Mr Ellis should give way to new owners with fresh ideas.

"There are far more deep-rooted problems than what happened on the pitch. David O'Leary and Doug Ellis were a recipe for disaster and a lot of fans have voted with their feet," he said.

"They didn't like the product on and off the pitch and stayed away."

Villa non-executive director Steve Kind said the club had not tried to "gloss over" its disappointing season.

"Our performance on the field of play is what dictates the financial performance of the club, and we had a poor season."

Despite the downturn, Mr Kind said money would be made available to Martin O'Neill for players, although this would only be a small amount in the short term, and he did not believe the financial downturn would deter the six consortia vying for control of Villa.

A source close to Randy Lerner said the bid was very much still on the table.

He said: "There has been much publicity recently saying that Lerner has lost interest in Villa, but that has been a smoke-screen instigated by the consortium as it does not like doing its business in the media.

Michael Neville said the financial results would not affect his indicative bid.

In his statement accompanying the report, Mr Ellis said the club was determined to balance its costs, which could include more players being drafted in from the youth academy rather than multi-million pound transfers. Villa's shares closed unchanged at 501.5p last night

link

sorry, i dont know how to shorten links :oops:

EDIT: Then please learn ;)

If that was the case and Ellis did not give a **** about fans or their opinion, or the pressure he would get, then why appoint MON to just get the fans back on side? Why not just appoint a crap cheaper Sounessesque alternative?

Your right Doug doesn't give a **** about the fans, he gives a **** about his ego and getting lots of praise.

He could appoint someone crap but then he would ignore all the fans because he is right, see last 20 yrs for proof of Doug doing what he wants!