Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

its had more effect on him than any other protests it appears, as he is now actively looking to sell, whereas before he always maintained he would leave in a box..

even if that outward expression of his desire to sell means that buyers come along and possibly force the issue, the boycott has had at least a very small part to play in that...

whether thats due to money, or because its damaging his ego of this myth about him being a good businessman, etc, is debatable and irrelivent, but it appears to be having an effect of some kind...

but we can only do our small part and hope for the best for the long term....

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its had more effect on him than any other protests it appears, as he is now actively looking to sell, whereas before he always maintained he would leave in a box..

even if that outward expression of his desire to sell means that buyers come along and possibly force the issue, the boycott has had at least a very small part to play in that...

whether thats due to money, or because its damaging his ego of this myth about him being a good businessman, etc, is debatable and irrelivent, but it appears to be having an effect of some kind...

but we can only do our small part and hope for the best for the long term....

PP - we have been in a lot worse scenarios than this - he is selling 'cos he is dying and he wants a return for his family - nothing more - nothing less.

The dying in a box thing was fine whilst he was fine and dandy - things have changed - a lot.

Your stance, "THE" boycott, has **** all to do with it. It never has - as for the long term - we all live and hope, but I was wary of the Comers - I still am.

This F**kin takeover isn't going to happen with doug involved. F**kin fed up with Ellis. Villa is his Buckingham palace, he's happy just sitting on his throne, king of the castle...and **** spending money on players.

Come On Villa fans 'Lets be having you!' :) Lets show this **** that we f**king disgusted with the way he runs this club further and further into obscurity.

Cant even have a loan signing...bollocks! Who knows one small loan signing to help out the defense during this transfer window could be the difference between premiership or championship football next season! How bloody ridiculous is it if we were to go down because we wouldn't pay out a small fee to bring a defender in.

Surely, some pressure must brought upon Ellis to take some action by the fans...pound signs, red cards what ever...support the club and pressure ellis to take some action...or give him another heart attck in the process anyway! :)

pissed off rant over

Cant even have a loan signing...bollocks! Who knows one small loan signing to help out the defense during this transfer window could be the difference between premiership or championship football next season! How bloody ridiculous is it if we were to go down because we wouldn't pay out a small fee to bring a defender in.

What I find ridiculous is how Doug has slowly over the years worn us down to his level. We started off begging for major mega millions signings ie Vieri (remember that link!!!) Juninho etc, then moved down to more realistic wants, your dublins, stones, alpays etc to the last couple of seasons of any signings we can get our hands on, djemba x2s, bersons, phillips, bergers and now to top it all off he's now got us begging for loan signings FFS and i'm sure if we do now get a CB on loan then it'll job well done Ellis, sound financial ship, no debt etc.

Bollocks in five years he has lowered our expectations from signing world class superstars such as juninho to loan signings a la cole, bakke, milner. It has become a fcuking joke.

I'm planning on writing to doug very shortly and enclosing a number of local old peoples nhs hospices, lets see how he feels about scrimping and saving on his own fcuking retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PP - we have been in a lot worse scenarios than this - he is selling 'cos he is dying and he wants a return for his family - nothing more - nothing less.

The dying in a box thing was fine whilst he was fine and dandy - things have changed - a lot.

Your stance, "THE" boycott, has **** all to do with it. It never has - as for the long term - we all live and hope, but I was wary of the Comers - I still am.

just because we have been in a worse position, doesnt mean we have to like and accept our position now...

selling because he is dying might be the case, but his investment will decrease if average gates are low... either when hes dead or alive...

the leaving in a box statement was what he said himself.. if thats not now the case, then something must have happened, as hes known he was ill, with one thing or another, for a long time... he always maintained he would only leave in a box and only recently has that stance changed...

and whether the boycott has anything to do with his new stance, no one will ever know... i would like to think it has and evidence suggests it has, but no one can be sure either way...

but as i said, i have to try and do something, no matter how small it is...

just because we have been in a worse position, doesnt mean we have to like and accept our position now...

Never said that - was just answering your question.

selling because he is dying might be the case, but his investment will decrease if average gates are low... either when hes dead or alive...

We don't know that for sure, to be fair (sound like potato head) - the club is valued by the sellers as it is. The Comers knew that a long time ago.

the leaving in a box statement was what he said himself.. if thats not now the case, then something must have happened, as hes known he was ill, with one thing or another, for a long time... he always maintained he would only leave in a box and only recently has that stance changed..

That is not the case is it - things have changed - or he wouldn't be selling

and whether the boycott has anything to do with his new stance, no one will ever know... i would like to think it has and evidence suggests it has, but no one can be sure either way...

There are no missing 1000's - I have got to know lots of Villa Fans over my lifetime - whilst some moan about the footy like they always do, I have yet to meet ANYONE that has stated that the reason they don't go is down purely to Doug Ellis. (Present company accepted). I hope there are 1000's that will come back, but as we are a "fickle lot" according to some, I would say that they pick and chose anyway.

but as i said, i have to try and do something, no matter how small it is...

If that makes you feel better then fine - I feel better by going. That's the choice we have

There are no missing 1000's - I have got to know lots of Villa Fans over my lifetime - whilst some moan about the footy like they always do, I have yet to meet ANYONE that has stated that the reason they don't go is down purely to Doug Ellis. (Present company accepted). I hope there are 1000's that will come back, but as we are a "fickle lot" according to some, I would say that they pick and chose anyway.

Guys, great discussion here, and I'm pleased to see it hasn't got personal. That's why I come to VT.

Anyway, my point of contention on the "missing thousands" is that maybe people don't directly say "it's because of Ellis", but ultimately it is. I remember the last 4 or 5 games of the 92/3 season (that long ago!) under Ron and there was hardly room to breathe, and this against teams like Oldham and Man City.

Inadvertently it IS because of Ellis. It's because under Ellis there's no hope, and if there's no hope, there's no point. When he goes people WILL return. Because their hope will have returned too.

The missing 1000's again isn't a black and white. Now I know a lot of people who no longer have a season ticket for various reasons including if the company (and yes it is a company) dont spend money then why should I invest. Lee I can give you names and phone numbers if you like.

I suspect that the apathy (seems to be wrod of the day) shown by the fans for attendance is as a result of the apathy shown by the club with its thinking and the way its run. That doesnt stop your love, for want of a better word, for AVFC nor can it stop the excellent memories that the club has given over the years. But a fan base and going back to business, your customer base is something that you have to work on at all times. That includes short term and long term planning. Its not just about lowering prices of tickets, which Villa are good at to be fair, its about marketing a product that will appeal. There are a million and 1 different ways we can spend our monies these days and even things like SKY will pull on potential attendance figures. Villa seem to have no idea on how we react to these challenges.

The business model is poor IMO, hence the lack of monies now being available for the manager after many years of premiership football and the TV monies. That is why the club needs the structural changes that people (VFC?) have called for for so long

Unless I'm very much mistaken, our biggest attendance of the season by far was against Liverpool.

This game was very soon after the takeover story broke.

I suspect this is because people thought Doug might be going/gone for this game.

The missing thousands coming back maybe?

there are missing thousands and its growing all the time...

our average attendances are down by quite a bit....

and lee, i know quite a few villa fans myself... both in the flesh and on the net and a lot of them are taking the same stance as me, for the exact reasons i am taking the stance....

so it works both ways..

there ARE villa fans staying away due to ellis and like NV says, whether thats a concious decision or a sub concious decision, is debatable, but from my discussions with villa fans, a lot have made the consious decision to boycott the games and will come back once ellis is gone...

im not saying we are better or worse fans for taking this action and i respect the fact that you arent either, but we make our choices and live with the consequences.. both good and bad...

I (as people on here know.)dont go to villa park anymore because of one reason. Doug Ellis.

The mans name can make my blood boil. i have last seasons kit with Ellis 666 on the back and i wear it with pride.

Everything about him makes me angry.

The myth he keeps up financially sound winds me up because i cant remember the last time we recorded a profit.

I think that ticket sales will go up when he leaves and the ""hidden" thousands will re-emerge. BUT we are over lookign the most worrying thing our douglARSE has done to our club.

Killing the number of children who are villa fans.

I honestly cant believe the lack of children i see in villa tops these days. I remember been at school and there been competition as soon as the kit was out. who was first to have it. who got there favourite Number/name on the back.

Now there is worrying amounts of kids in blues tops. Children dotn know any better than to beleive the bull sh*t spewed by the board over at small heath. especially when the Birmingham (City FC) Evening Mail will run any story of them declaring themsleves the worlds greatest and attempting to sign Owen etc. etc.

The kids in blues tops thing is just a small number compared to the amount of kids who are Man U, Arsenal and Chelski fans now.

The straw that broke my back was going to villa park to watch us play small heath last season. i realised that we had become a shadow of ourselves both as a club and a football team. and both come from Doug Ellis.

His managerial appointments have all suffered with him as a ball and chain around their ankles. and his cost sutting over the past three to four years has seen us slip to where we are.

Icant wait to stand in the holte again. But i wont put money in the managements pockets whilst we slowly die.

Up the villa.

If the takeover ever happens the wave of relief and optimism will be a joy to behold.

Wouldnt it be great to have someone in charge who could maybe inspire us to believe that we all going to embrace a new dawn together instead of someone who has slowly and sureley sucked the life force of belief and hope from villa loving being.

I'm not criticising those who are sincere in saying the one reason they stay away from VP is Doug Ellis. Its their choice afterall.

What I am criticising is the fact they believe that staying away will have any impact whatsoever on the boardroom.

Attendances are down this season no question. However, Doug's response will be to simply blame our league position and fire the manager at the end of the season.

As someone far more eloquent than I once said, when Doug goes, the missing thousands will merely think of another convenient excuse to stay away.