Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but it's true Lee, if people really cared that we are run by a sick old man, that Leicester can buy Fryatt, or Pompey their players or the fact we have such a small sqaud then they would do something.

Or sit on their hands and do jack shit except snipe and criticise

but it's true Lee, if people really cared that we are run by a sick old man, that Leicester can buy Fryatt, or Pompey their players or the fact we have such a small sqaud then they would do something.

Or sit on their hands and do jack shit except snipe and criticise

So when's the new protest?

An article from an Irish Newspaper with the Comers older brother:

(pdf of page available if anyone wants it)

Galway brothers may reconsider Aston Villa takeover as bid appears to fall through

BY MARY O'CONNOR

The brother of the two multi-millionaire Glenamaddy men who are believed to have pulled out of a € 96 million deal to take over English premiership soccer club Aston Villa says he feels they may yet reconsider their decision.

Billy Comer, the older brother of Luke and Brian, who lives in Shannaugh outside Glenamaddy and who is in regular contact with them, says he would be very saddened if the takeover was called off.

His comments came in the wake of reports yesterday which said the deal appeared to have fallen through after the Comer brothers, who live in Hertfordshire and who were leading a consortium, decided not to proceed with the move which would have seen Doug Ellis, the 82-year-old current Villa chairman and major shareholder in the club, relinquish control of the Birmingham side. The report says the Comers - property magnates who own a property company worth € 1.5 billion - were attracted to Villa because of the prospect of developing land owned by it within the club's grounds.

Billy Comer, who stayed with Luke at his home in Dunboyne, Co Meath on Friday night, says they discussed the proposed takeover.

"Villa came up in conversation. He wasn't saying much about it [the proposed deal] I kinda felt it wasn't as concrete as it should be but I was of the opinion it was still on."

He says he was disappointed and surprised by reports in the media midweek that the takeover by a consortium led by his brothers seemed to be off. (At the time of going to press club sources had not confirmed that the deal was not going ahead.) However, he believes the talks could be back on again.

"It's news to me that they have pulled out and if it's the case it is disappointing. Everything seemed very promising. The talks have been going on since November. So much negotiation went on. I was sure it [the deal] was going to happen at Christmas. I felt it was just around the corner. It could be back on again."

He believes octogenarian Doug Ellis - who visits Galway regularly to fish on the Salmon Weir and to meet former Villa player Eamonn Deacy - and who is noted for his shrewd approach to financial matters - may have been a "stumbling block".

"Maybe Doug Ellis didn't want them to develop as much land as they wanted. That might have been the problem."

He says it would be a great pity for Galway if the deal does not go ahead as expected.

"It would be great for Galway and the area [Glenamaddy] if it went ahead. All the locals want it to happen. There are an awful lot of Irish in Birmingham. There are relations of Carmel [his wife] there. They are hoping it will happen."

He says his brothers, Luke (47) and Brian (45), who started out working as plasterers before moving to England in the mid 1980s, would have viewed the deal as a "big thing, a big step" and would not rush into it.

"They were checking out everything. They wouldn't rush into it. They are very successful and worked hard and were determined to get where they are today."

If the Villa takeover is off the table, Billy says there may be another club that would attract their interest.

"It's a pity if it [Villa] doesn't happen. But you'd never know there might be even another club."

While the Comer brothers attend premiership matches regularly, they do not support any particular club. Their great love has always been Gaelic football, he says. Brian played for the Galway minors in 1976 but broke his wrist in a Connacht final against Mayo. He won an All Ireland medal with the Galway Vocational Schools in 1976.

East Galway TD Paul Connaughton, who knows the brothers well, says if the deal went ahead, it would be like something out of a fairytale.

"It would be great if somebody from north Galway could be up with the likes of Alex Ferguson. It's about as near as any of us would get to such an empire. It brings out shades of people who did well in England. If the deal went ahead, no doubt they would turn it into a successful club and a successful business venture.

"They [the Comers] have the talent and they did it the hard way. They were in England since they were young. Their success is built on hard work and decency. Some people get rich by dominating people, by being pushy, the Comers are not like that, they are fair people."

He believes octogenarian Doug Ellis - who visits Galway regularly to fish on the Salmon Weir and to meet former Villa player Eamonn Deacy - and who is noted for his shrewd approach to financial matters - may have been a "stumbling block".

"Maybe Doug Ellis didn't want them to develop as much land as they wanted. That might have been the problem."

git orrrrrf moiyyy laaaaaaaand....

:lol:

Those three words in bold sum it all up for me.

Why am I not fecking suprised?

:evil:

To be fair I think Ellis has every right to make sure he get's the best deal possible for himself as well. I think he wants to sell and I think he will sell. But he is dealing with people more than capable of paying £64m for the club. Why would he give a £10m (15%) discount to people reported to be worth £1bn just to speed up negotiations a bit? It's not a charity, and I don't think it will influence how much money that would be made available for team strengthening.

To be fair I think Ellis has every right to make sure he get's the best deal possible for himself as well. I think he wants to sell and I think he will sell. But he is dealing with people more than capable of paying £64m for the club. Why would he give a £10m (15%) discount to people reported to be worth £1bn just to speed up negotiations a bit? It's not a charity, and I don't think it will influence how much money that would be made available for team strengthening.

do you. :shock: :?

i think he's under immense pressure from others to sell.

If it was down to him, he'd stay until he's carried out in box, as he's said before ........

It's not a charity, and I don't think it will influence how much money that would be made available for team strengthening.

Agreed, and if the 10 mill had any influence on transfers, is that the kind of owners we would like? I would like people that are ready to invest in the club, not Ellis clones.

It's not a charity, and I don't think it will influence how much money that would be made available for team strengthening.

Agreed, and if the 10 mill had any influence on transfers, is that the kind of owners we would like? I would like people that are ready to invest in the club, not Ellis clones.

It works the other way around too, you know. As said before, even if they can afford they won't be paying a price they don't think mathces the value. You wouldn't do it, I wouldn't do it. It's hard to say whom of them is right or wrong though.

It works the other way around too, you know. As said before, even if they can afford they won't be paying a price they don't think mathces the value. You wouldn't do it, I wouldn't do it. It's hard to say whom of them is right or wrong though.

I think this is right, the problem is valuation and the two sides disagree and it is probably down to "who blinks first".

Unfortunately, I don't think Ellis is going to, unless the likes of Petchy put some pressure on.

It works the other way around too, you know. As said before, even if they can afford they won't be paying a price they don't think mathces the value. You wouldn't do it, I wouldn't do it.

Which is probably why the deal hasn't been completed yet. Since they're still negotiating, it's likely that both parties still feel they can reach an agreement. Otherwise one of the parties would have walked away by now.

do you. :shock: :?

i think he's under immense pressure from others to sell.

If it was down to him, he'd stay until he's carried out in box, as he's said before ........

I agree Jon with you I think his faamily are driving this because frankly I don't think they want teh hassle of selling them when he dies ...

Bob the difference to Ellis is worth only about £3m, if he just holding out for that after aall the money he has took out of the club then it confirms he doesn't give a shit about the club.

I disagree Ian. £3m might not seem like a lot for money to you. But if I were Ellis I would spend an additional couple of months trying to get as much of those £3m as possible. And why shouldn't he? The Comers don't need any charity. Anyway, it's not only Ellis who owns shares. The board has a responsibilty to get the best deal possible for all shareholders, not only Ellis.

And I don't think it's about the money only. You can argue that Ellis wont have time to spend all his money anyway. But I believe that Ellis sees himself as a successfull businessman and selfmade millionaire. If he get an extra £3m it will not change how he would be able to spend the rest of his life. But his ego would benefit from it.

He would obviously also be able to leave more money to his family when he dies. But as I have said, it's more about pride than hard cash. And I disagree also that he doesn't give a shit about the club. He does, but what Ellis thinks is the best for the club might be very different from what we as fans would want. If he were only in it for the money he would have sold the club a long time ago. People bought shares at £11 each not so long ago remember.