The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Seems I picked a bad time to fall to sleep.  Mind you, the fight was kinda dull and it seems the decision was the most interesting thing about the entire night. 

Bellew sucked, he didn't use his jab and was swinging wildly most of the night, almost all of his work was ineffective aggression.

Chilemba really picked it up as the fight went on after a slow start and showed that he was not only the superior technician but also the more intelligent boxer, he was landing the cleaner shots and some nice counter punches. I didn't give Bellew any of the rounds from 7-12, Chilemba took over the fight. Overall I felt he won something like 115-113

I thought the commentary was a **** disgrace, disgustingly biased.

Rios-Alvarado, great fight, can't wait for the 3rd! Alvarado did a great job of using his superior boxing skills and also hurt Rios bad a couple of times. Rios just trades on his chin too much...

Oh and Golovkin's KO of Ishida was pretty damn brutal...

So Rigondeux vs Donaire is just over a week away, it's the biggest fight of the year in the sense of the two very best in their division going head-to-head.

HBO have made a 'greatest hits' for Donaire that is worth checking, although his best win to date, against Vic Darchynian is not there since Showtime own the footage. 

Best left hook in the sport.

• Like 1

Rigondeaux has moved to the Blackzillians (All Star MMA Team) and it's not a late April fools joke.

They have world leading sub grapplers, wrestlers, kickboxers and obviously mixed martial artists so I suppose for them adding a boxer of his calibre makes sense, not sure if it's good for him though (fight/career wise, financially he'll be earning cash money and all expenses will be paid).

The blackzillians lol I'm not onto MMA but they sound awesome

Sounds like David Haye is fighting Pulev, not a bad fight for him but I would have preferred him to have took on Povetkin.

Whoever he is fighting I will be backing the other guy any way

The blackzillians lol I'm not onto MMA but they sound awesome

Sounds like David Haye is fighting Pulev, not a bad fight for him but I would have preferred him to have took on Povetkin.

Whoever he is fighting I will be backing the other guy any way

They're not as "awesome" as they sound. One of the worst teams in the UFC.  

They're not as "awesome" as they sound. One of the worst teams in the UFC.  

Far from it IMO. They're the newest major camp and for the quality of fighters they've got their results have been shite, but they still have fighters challenging in the top 10 of every division. They're like Chelsea this season, team of stars that have been questionably managed and underperformed as a result, but nowhere near being the worst.

The only reason I worry for Rigondeaux is that most boxers of his level have an entire camps dancing to their tune and at BZ he's not king almighty. The facilities there are as good as anything in the world but I'm not sure it'll feel the same as training in a pure boxing gym. His new/old trainer Diaz is the new boxing coach for the team so Pangloss you're right about him being there to improve the others' boxing.

Edited by ArteSuave

I just heard that Carl "The Truth" Williams died today after losing his battle with cancer of the throat.   RIP big man. 

Nothing all that interesting but its something to read

Mayweather: Be smart and use your head

FLOYD MAYWEATHER insists more boxers should follow his lead and use their ring smarts instead of going to war every time they fight.

Unbeaten Mayweather, 36, returns to the ring on May 4 against Robert Guerrero looking for the 44th victory of his glittering career.

But Money openly admits he would not be where he is today if he had allowed himself to be dragged into toe-to-toe wars more often.

He said: “My mindset has always been to be the best. I would rather be known as a smart fighter.

“If you go back and look at my interviews from when I was young, I always said the less you get hit, the longer you are going to be able to stay in the game.

“Going to toe-to-toe just because you can say you did it is not cool to me.

“Sure I have done it in some of my fights, like the Miguel Cotto fight, but there is also a limit. I couldn’t have done that in all of my 43 fights. There is a limit.

“I say to the young fighters that some things just aren’t cool. They think taking a lot of punishment and going toe-to-toe in every fight is cool? That’s not cool.

“Or to be able to say they got locked up. That’s not cool either. I know I have made mistakes but I can wake up every morning and say I have been honest admitting that.”

guerrrero_1706972a.jpg
UP NEXT ... Robert Guerrero is in Floyd Mayweather's sights

Love him or loathe him, the fact is you cannot ignore Mayweather’s achievements.

And as he prepares to defend the WBC welterweight title against Guerrero at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, it is obvious the support of his team and family kept him focused during his spell behind bars.

The brash American added: “The young fighters should make sure they have a good team around them. People that are going to keep it real with you and can help you make the right decision.

“There are limits to everything you do. Even though I might seem edgier at times, I have limits too.

“I am older now and I understand it better. Things can come to a young, good fighter so fast they can get caught up in a bad situation.

“I am going to continue to mentor the young, up-and-coming fighters. I will try to be the best mentor I can for some of these young fighters.

“For young people I say work hard and dedicate yourself to your life. Be respectful to your parents and go to school because education is important. Never compromise to be the best that you can be.”

floyd2_1706975a.jpg
THE TRAPPINGS OF SUCCESS ... Floyd Mayweather lives life to the full

The showdown with Guerrero is the first part of Mayweather’s money-spinning six-fight deal with American TV giant Showtime.

But the Vegas resident insists what you see is exactly what you get him with him — this is no act simply put on for the cameras in the build-up to another big fight.

He said: “The person you meet now is the same person you are going to meet down the road.

“I don’t care what car I am driving or jewellery I am wearing. I stay who I am regardless of what you think I might be or who you think I am.”

And, of course, the fact Mayweather has not been involved in too many tear-ups will allow him to do the one thing he craves the most — enjoy his retirement with all his faculties in place.

Speaking at a basketball tournament in Atlanta, the five-weight world champ added: “I want to be able to get around and be sharp when my career is over.

“I want to be like Rafael Garcia who is here with me today. He’s almost 90, hanging with us, still jogging, driving and wearing sunglasses.

“I want to be like that when I am older. I want to be able to hang out with my grandkids and be the patriarch of my family.”

Edited by leemond2008

Really looking forward to Donaire vs Rigo tonight, it's very difficult to call IMO.

Donaire struggles more against boxers who do not come forward, just see his fight with Omar Narvaez, even against Nishioka he struggled to land effectively until Nishioka came out of his shell.

Rigo will be elusive, moving a lot, showing a lot of lateral movement, but also has the handspeed and accuracy to counter brilliantly unlike a lot of Donaire's other cautious opponents.

Rigo on the other hand has one question mark, his chin, it hasn't been tested much in the pro-game, yet he was hurt quite bad in his fight with Marroquin. Worryingly for Rigo this was off of a left hook, Donaire money punch.

So I expect a cat-and-mouse game for the most part, I quite like Rigo over the distance with Donaire having a chance via KO.

I fancy Donaire to do it, he just has to be careful with standing off and looking for the big punch, if he takes to long to get into them then he could lose too many rounds.

That said though if he does stand off and manages to counter with the left hook it could be game over for Rigo. It will be a cracking fight either way, they will either end up going for it or it will be a tactical masterclass.

I'll be staying up for it anyway really excited for this one, potentially the fight of the year

Does Rigo have enough of a pedigree to step in with Donaire though, he has never been in with anyone of his class and is still actually quite a rookie in the pro's ain't he (only had 11 fights) I know all about his 400 amateurs and am aware of just how good he is but I just doubt if he is better than Donaire

Â