The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

gotta admit that I didn't even know there was a fight tonight

heavyweight boxing is dour and needs a massive shakeup, I struggle to think that there is such a lack of quality out there that the only heavyweight fight out there that the majority of casual boxing fans want is Price and Fury.

What are your thoughts Dr P, could the division explode into life when the brothers finally call it a day? I honestly dont know because I haven't paid much attention to the division for a fair few years now.

Basically the division isn't going to explode at all, but will probably become very popular in this country again when Price and Fury get some titles.

At the end of the day the talent pool isn't there, there really isn't any talent coming through with genuine boxing ability and with mass appeal. It is the most boring division in all of boxing, it downright sucks. When the K-bros go you'll have more champions but when they are squaring off in dull, boring fights my question is who cares?

The K-bros are highly skilled and way better than the rest but are boring to watch, I don't see it exploding into to life when they go. In many ways they are keeping the division going and keeping a lot of money in the division. Without them there will be no money, the German networks will not pick up non-Klitschko fights and the likes of HBO and Showtime scarcely bother with the division either.

Price, Fury and Deontay Wilder might be about the pick of the lot coming through but they all have their flaws and are untested at the top level.

In other news it looks like Gavin Rees will be taking on Adrian Broner early next year, Rees will get massacred in that one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting fight just made, Ricky Burns vs Miguel Vazquez.

Now my provisional prediction is that Vazquez will jab Burns to death and not get much fire power coming back (given he is extremely elusive). So I expect Vazquez to win at a canter.

That said the fight is at the Wembley Arena so the score cards may mysteriously be closer, with the potential for a robbery. That aside, Vazquez is far too good for Burns, outside of Broner he's the best lightweight out there. It's nice to see Burns taking on a top level opponent for once.

my phone hasn't stopped getting **** updates about this all day

the full bill is

Ricky Burns V Vasquez

Cleverley V Krasniqi

George Groves V Mohamed Ali NDiaye

Dereck Chisora V TBA

Liam Walsh V Logan McGuinness

This is the type of fight that I have been waiting for Burns to have as well, I have said in his previous fights that I dont think he is as good as he has looked in his last few outings if that makes sense.

there is a couple of decent fights coming up in the next few weeks as well, thank god Xmas is out of the way so we can get back to watching the boxing

Burns is extremely overrated but at least he is fighting someone that is not only world level but also at the elite end of his division. I'd be amazed if he won that because although Vazquez has one of the most crowd un-pleasing styles in boxing, he is extremely effective, has a great jab and is very had to catch because he is on the move for 12, and I doubt Burns has the power to slow him down.

Also it's funny to see Cleverley fighting yet another nobody, he's the biggest paper champion in boxing.

It's the Frank Warren way. Talk about the big fights, defend against bums. Warren called out Carl Froch for Clev over Xmas, but he wants the fight to be at 175. Why the **** would Carl Froch go to 175 to fight a man who is nowhere near him in terms of class? That fight happens at 168 or it doesnt happen, and at 168 Clev doesnt make it past the third round.

Just another way for Warren to keep his fighter's name in the news without having to do anything to back it up.

may 25th

Carl Froch v Mikkel Kessler

all agreed, the deal has been done

I cant help but think that Kessler has left it too late now, I know he has been plagued by injuries but where he has only had 3 fights since he fought Froch (and lets be honest he didn't look great against Allan Green and Magee was a bit of a joke fight) Froch has had 5 fights against big names (Abraham, Johnson, Ward, Bute and Mack) and since he lost to Ward he looks like he has made great strides and his confidence is absolutely sky high

I just cant see Kessler winning this one, if it wasn't for injuries and if the fight would have took place earlier then I would probably have gone for Kessler but I think the tide has turned now

may 25th

Carl Froch v Mikkel Kessler

all agreed, the deal has been done

I cant help but think that Kessler has left it too late now, I know he has been plagued by injuries but where he has only had 3 fights since he fought Froch (and lets be honest he didn't look great against Allan Green and Magee was a bit of a joke fight) Froch has had 5 fights against big names (Abraham, Johnson, Ward, Bute and Mack) and since he lost to Ward he looks like he has made great strides and his confidence is absolutely sky high

I just cant see Kessler winning this one, if it wasn't for injuries and if the fight would have took place earlier then I would probably have gone for Kessler but I think the tide has turned now

I felt the first fight was extremely close, I actually scored it to Froch by a point when I first watched it.

IMO Froch has actually improved since that fight and Kessler has clearly declined. I think Kessler is now slower and I think his ability to take the punch has waned a bit (a shot Allan Green dropped him two fights ago).

I think Froch is nailed on to win and would given consider betting on a win via stoppage, as a result of unanswered punches against the ropes.

Agreed. I felt Kessler got a hometown decision against Froch, but then one fight earlier Froch arguably got a hometown decision against Dirrell and as neither result could be called a robbery I accepted it as part of the swings and roundabouts of boxing.

I'm not sure Kessler is as shot as people seem to think, maybe he isnt the fighter he was three years ago and I dont think there is any doubt that Froch has improved over that time and I would make him a strong favourite in this one, especially with it being in the UK. I think Froch has now reached a level where he can get the same kind of support in London or Manchester as he has always been able to call on in Nottingham too. I'm half tempted to get a ticket to this one.

the last Froch fight was charging something like £80 to sit rite up in the gods I think because I took a look at the tickets for that one.

I dont think that anyone can really say how ''shot'' Kessler is or not until he has a real good test, until then its pretty much just speculation from both sides isn't it

he's shot - he has looked well off his old standards in his last 2 fights

he's not shot - he has been shaking off the ring rust after being out of action for so long and will come good again

either way I recon Froch has improved enough to see him off

I don't think he's 'shot' but just not what he was, he has declined but still good enough to be a player in the division (which he still is of course). Froch definitely should beat him but it'll be a war while it lasts. I'm looking forward to it. Kessler is limited but has that come forward style and power at the weight.

In terms of the first fight I agree with Rev that basically if you score a fight by a point to someone then you can't really complain if the fight is given a draw or as a win to the other guy, such are the fine margins. I do think a couple of the score cards were BS though, one was 117-111! And yeah Dirrell was robbed in his fight with Froch, it wasn't even close IMO.

I don't think he's 'shot' but just not what he was, he has declined but still good enough to be a player in the division (which he still is of course). Froch definitely should beat him but it'll be a war while it lasts. I'm looking forward to it. Kessler is limited but has that come forward style and power at the weight.

To be honest I used 'shot' in response to the rev's post, if you search Kesslers name in this topic I cant find a single post which describes him in that way but does question how close he is or will be able to get to his old standards

There's a nice card this weekend guys.

HBO has Mikey Garcia vs Orlando Salido as the headline in a featherweight title fight. Both are pretty much the top guys in the division and I reckon could be a really good fire fight whilst it lasts. I backing Salido in this one.

Also on the undercard is the return of everyone's favourite middleweight, triple G Gennady Golovkin, he takes on Gabe Rosado. Rosado sounds really up for it so will hopefully take the action to Golovkin, but GGG surely takes this by KO.

Well Garcia beat the shit out of Salido, he really looks a star in the making. I personally felt that Salido had the experience and craft to get on Garcia's inside and cause damage. However Garcia's power and frankly his skill level were too much for a genuine world level operator like Salido. So massive respect, he looks to me like he could become one of the sports pound for pound stars as he has the frame to go up to lightweight and perhaps junior welter.

Golovkin looked quite good in his bout as well although Rosado was very game and surprisingly took the punch well, especially given he jumped up from junior middleweight. Golovkin doesn't move his head much and so is there to hit, definite chink in an otherwise impressive amour.

Nice find Dr! I've never seen the full fight before, I didn't think the footage existed tbh. I've seen/heard/read more interviews with Pele Reid about that fight than I've seen fights of his.

That is some premium material for winding up the Klitschko evangelicals. Hopefully Fury gets his grubby hands on it!

Edited by ArteSuave

Â