The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Hope im wrong but have a feeling Bellew will knock Cleverly out tonight. Cleverly has looked poor in his last two fights since Kolavev and his best friend with little boxing experience is training him which doesnt sound ideal. At evens a Bellew win is a great bet.

The Undercard is bordering on a disgrace considering its PPV. Not a single 50/50 fight or even 60/40 for that matter. Mismatchs and uninspiring fights but im sure the casual no nothings will lap it up.

Any views on Maclin from last week? I watched it at my old mans...he was totally outclassed in my view

Jobber to the stars, isn't he?  The kind of guy who gets title shots but loses them.  Still, the bloke is a bluenose and a plastic paddy, I'll shed no tears. 

For such a limited boxer he's had a good career. Arguably robbed in the Sturm fight and had the opportunity to share the ring with Martinez (and gave him a good fight) and Golovkin. But yeah, never really anything more than a B level contender in what has been a middleweight division lacking strength in depth. 

It doesn't take a lot of imagination does it...

You can't give an answer can you! There is not many options and if you're going to be a smart arse at least answer the question and name me some opponents he can REALISTICALLY fight....

You're being the smart arse, if you think Algieri is the only option for Pacquiao you need to have your head checked. This is just a crude fight organised by Arum in order to try and get Pacquiao his first knock out since Cotto.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

You're being the smart arse, if you think Algieri is the only option for Pacquiao you need to have your head checked. This is just a crude fight organised by Arum in order to try and get Pacquiao his first knock out since Cotto.

You should be a politician Dr Know-it-all. You keep avoiding the question. Who else right now can Pacman REALISTICALLY fight?? FFS not hard is it to name some names if you keep saying there are loads of names out there.

So Pacquiao shows that Algieri didn't belong on the same card as him let alone share the same ring, pretty embarrassing stuff, Algieri fought too tall, he should have fought a little lower and use the jab to create the distance but instead offered very little other than running and then getting beat up whenever he did engage. This clip here is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in boxing:

I managed to download most of the Bellew - Cleverly 2 card and watch it. Suffice to say it must be the worst UK PPV in history. Bellew for what its worth clearly won the fight by both being the aggressor throughout and for landing the cleaner, harder shots, especially to the body. In fact the body work was hardly picked up by senile old Jim Watt. But then, Bellew did look extremely basic and inaccurate whenever he'd head hunt, he's just a shite boxer and Cleverly, well, he's a bum and should retire. He wasn't ever good enough to hang with the best at light heavy-weight and at crusier he doesn't carry the weight well at all. His jab is not authoritative at all and he couldn't crack an egg as far as his punching power is concerned. On top of that he clearly gassed later on. His career is over unless he's content to slug it out for a British title. 

DeGale stole the card, very impressive, I think he's the real deal and one of the best talents in the supermiddle weight division. 

However this card did show all that's wrong with British boxing. The referee Howard Foster once again distinguished himself for his sheer incompetence, his stoppage of Periban was a disgrace. This was the same guy who called a halt to the Grove Froch 1 fight. Also, Terry O'Conner, another incompetent ref who likes to stop fights early some how managed to score the Bellew Cleverly fight to Cleverly. It's about time the BBoBC retired these buffoons. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

He flattened Sprott in about 90 seconds.   Controlled the ring for a minute, trapped Sprott in the corner and unloaded.  Ref stopped it.  

Joshua is fighting again in January. The plan seems to be just to keep him active at the moment, fighting every six weeks or so until he gets 15-20 wins under his belt and then start moving up in class. It's a pretty standard tactic to develop a prospect, I do wonder how many people will get annoyed he isn't fighting Klitschko with one hand tied behind his back by next summer.   I think Joshua beats Price easily so I'd like to see a domestic fight with Fury or Chisora by this time next year and a move up to world level in 2016.  Joshua vs Wilder could be a great fight in 12-18 months time. 

They can't really rush Joshua, that must have been his 10th pro fight, and based on what I've seen in the amateurs he does have quite a few weakness, he relied on an absolute robbery to get past Savon and Dillian Whyte seemingly had his number (I'd love to see these two fight in the pros). Also, we don't know if he has a chin, he really needs a good chin check. 

Joshua is still learning his trade and his promoter needs to get the trade off between getting him opponents who will test him and force him to improve and not throwing him in at the deep end (like they did with Price). Fury and Chisora would be too much for him, even in a years time IMO. 

I think they should get him in with more durable and live opponents next year. Someone like Kevin Johnson would be a good shout. He is crafty and has never been stopped but isn't overly aggressive and doesn't really have a lot of punching power for a heavyweight. He should be able to push Joshua for at least a few rounds and maybe even the distance if he turns up in reasonable shape. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'd assume there would have been a bit more pressure to push Price because of his age (he's 31) while Joshua definitely has time on his side. 

Perhaps, but 31 isn't old for the modern day heavyweight, if that was the case then they unnecessarily rushed him and as a result ended up destroying him. 

Alarm bells should have rang after the Matt Skelton fight. Skelton managed to get inside on Price and land some shots, Price looked utterly clueless and not only did he show that he has no inside game, but that he can't tie up his man on the inside. They should have made the adjustments in training, and give him more time to develop that side of his game, rather than throwing him in with a vet like Tony Thompson. 

I'm sure this will get taken down before the day is out, but 720p 60 fps if you full screen this in Chrome:

http://youtu.be/ZXnWdsjWeE8

Pacman was excellent on Saturday. His opponent was no mug coming off an excellent win against Provodkinov but yet Pacman beat him with ease and without getting out of second gear. You know right now im leaning to Pacman beating Mayweather if it ever happens.

Â