The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I remember randomly walking past Paul Smith and Buddy McGirt (The trainer) from the contender once up brum it was next to the alpha tower (opposite snobs) he must have had a fight nearby

Didn't say anything to him obviously but i recognized him 

Haha just googled it was back in 2008 he had a fight up brum against Steven Bendall from Coventry small world

Edited by AshVilla

Didn't see the fight but have been following it on Twitter. Boxing Guru was giving the fight to AA, called him the winner and then there was a shitstorm from about ten others saying Smith was robbed. Seems weird from my point of view.

• Like 1

Completely agree with the above, I said at the end that I thought it was 50:50, but that Abraham would shade it by 2/3 rounds as it was on his home soil. I cannot understand how one judge gave it by 10 rounds though?? That guy should take up a new profession.... 

Unfortunately I don't think Smith will get a rematch either.

Afterwards someone (I think it was Joe Gallagher) said "let's break the bank and get the rematch in liverpool" he must have smoked more crack that the judges if he believes that will ever happen.

I recon that there should be some sort of rule that forces you off your home turf every now and again, say Mayweather can have 3 fights in Vegas then he has to move away from the MGM for the 4th fight.

Man City don't get to play all of their 38 games at home just because they are champions do they, I know it will never happen but it would be nice to see boxers get the home advantage removed every now and again

Abraham has only ever fought outside Germany 5 times in his career and he has lost the last 3 times, so I can see why he and his team would rather stay in Germany.

I like your idea about forcing them off their home turf leemond, but unfortunately it will never happen. A mutual venue is not financially beneficial for either fighter or the promoters, and if you were the champion at the time would you want to risk your belts fighting at a venue where you may not have the majority of the support or the officials on your side? Somebody like Mayweather would get away with it, as his support would follow him to every corner of the planet, but at the next level down you are essentially penalizing the champion. It is the officials that need looking at, not the boxers themselves.

It was close, I think you could make the case for Smith winning, the scores were ridiculously wide, I felt the fight had a lot of close rounds, and it's clear the judges gave Abraham the benefit of the doubt in all of those close rounds, something you would perhaps expect give he is the draw and the 'hometown' fighter. 

Abraham is pretty shot, and was never that good in his prime, the fact that these two were slugging it out over a world title tells you something about the state of a sport that allows there to be four recognised world titles titles. Neither are world class fighters and both would get thoroughly out classed by the divisions top fighters.

I do feel sorry for Smith as he seems like a nice bloke but let's not pretend that he would have been anything other than a paper champion if he would have won the fight. 

Quite an interesting fight showcasing Artur Beterbiev took place last night. He beat the dog shit out of Tavoris Cloud in two rounds. Yes Cloud is pretty poor, but he is quite a durable guy and did hold a belt for a couple of years, whilst Beterbiev only had 5 pro fights before this fight. Beterbiev has a good amateur background and appears to have very heavy hands, and like Kovalev, combines this with high volume. One to keep tabs on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySTo0FcUik

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Cleverley v Bellew is on sky box office!!!

What a crock of shit, first off they want something stupid like £30 a month just to get sky sports (you can't just have sky sports 1 now either you need the entire package) and then on top of that they expect you to fork out £18 or whatever to watch stuff on box office.

It's infuriating and this is why I much prefer box nation to sky sports, Cleverley v Bellew isn't even a big fight in my eyes

Its not just PPV for the main fight though its for the event as a whole. As well as Cleverly v Bellew you have Joshua v Sprott which is a decent step up for Joshua, James Degale is on the bill against an unnamed top 5 fighter, Quiqq is defending his pretend world title against a world ranked opponent, and crolla v kevin mitchell is also rumoured.

The best PPV held 4 years ago contained no main event and took place in Brum...the magnificent seven.

Â