The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

He only really ran for like 2 rounds, the rest of the time he was moving to create angles, pot shotting very well and then stepping in with combinations. 

I felt for a lot of the fight Canelo looked sloppy and was made to miss by wide margins. Lara was the ring general for most of the fight. See ring generalship isn't about plodding forward it's about getting your opponent to fight your fight and I felt Lara did that for a lot of it.

That said Lara should have been a bit more active and should have sat down on his punches in a controlled way more often. Whilst watching I felt he was going to lose on the cards because of Canelo being the cash cow and the nature of Lara's style. 

Lara got jobbed on the cards last night, Lara controlled most of the fight and landed the better shots, I hate Canelo but then they were never going to let the cash cow lose to a Cuban who couldn't draw flies to shit.

Sorry but you was watching another fight if you think lara was robbed. Alvarez imo won by 2 rounds. It was close but I dont see an argument for lara winning. From boxnation and reading the boxing websites, not a single expert had lara winning the fight. Im not an alverez fan at all but that was the best he has fought in a while. It was good to see him busy for a change. Not a great fight though and if you know the result I wouldnt be in a rush to watch it.

I saw Eddie Hearn is trying to make out that it would be good for Froch to fight DeGale next. Is anyone really buying that except for James DeGale?!

Froch needs to do one big fight in Vegas and call it a day before his chin gives up and he gets hurt. Fighing DeGale leaves him exposed to another potential Groves fight 1, although less likely as DeGale is probably on par with Groves if not slightly worse.

Here's hoping Hearn gets back in his box real soon.

On a sidenote is the winner of Fury v Chisora guaranteed a shot at Klitschko or do they just hope so?

Busy? He threw about the same amount of punches as Lara and landed less than Lara.

I don't know what fight you was watching, seems like you allowed the box nation 'experts' to form your opinion for you.

Lara fought like a chump. It wasnt boxing, it was running. His negative tactics reminded me of dirrell. Throwing a jab then running away. Punch stats mean nothing. Although it was one of alverez's better performances it shows how average he is by allowing the fight to become so close. Seems to me you was watching the fight with you anti alverez glasses on. Can accept you saying lara won, but a robbery?!?! Come on man.

It was a close fight, Lara did spend a lot of time 'running' but people don't accept that as an effective game plan anymore, its effective but boring to watch so people will always go for the come forward fighter.

For what it's worth I had Alvarez winning as well

Been watching a load of David Haye's early fights of late, including his pro debut.   That was against one of the great journeymen of British boxing, Tony Booth.   

:lol: 

• Like 1

Watched a few older fights myself recently.

Including Calzaghe vs Roy Jones and Bellew v Stevenson.

After seeing both Clev and Bellew fight the other night im definitely leaning towards Bellew to win that one.

Also - did anyone see the press conference between Chisora and Fury on youtube? Fury is such a idiot its unbelievable, i hope Chisora smashes him up and i will be putting some hard earned on it.

Edited by AVFCDAN

It's all pantomime, especially where Fury is concerned.  On the odd occasion where Fury is on camera out of character he seems like a pretty affable kind of guy, Chisora knows that and he won't take any of the pre fight bullshit personally. It's just a way to generate column inches. 

I agree with you but i'm not sure its actually being shown in the UK?

Its about half an hour long and fury doesn't stop swearing the whole time, i was waiting for the inevitable racist comments to come flying but he managed to stop short of that.

I'm sure at some point somebody commented that's why this isn't being shown in the uk

Yeah, but they know the most engaged fans will see it on social media.   Youtube videos often get more views than television broadcasts these days. 

I haven't seen the press conference but I remember watching interviews with both of them before the fight was made and there wasn't any bad blood and both had quite a bit of respect for each other.

English boxing is starting to annoy me a little just lately, the only way they can generate publicity for a fight is if the two involved turn it into a grudge match and pretend they hate each other

Haye - Chisora

Haye - Fury

Fury - Chisora

Froch - Groves - part 1

Froch - Groves - part 2

Cleverley - Bellew

now they are trying to build up Froch and DeGale so you can guarantee that will turn into another ''we hate each other and always have done and always will do''

I know that it happens in boxing all over the world, trying to build up hype for the fights and trying to psyche your opponent out and get under his skin but it just seems that other countries do it a hell of a lot better than us without it turning into a full on comedy

The fury v chisora press conference is MUST watch. So funny. Its boxing not tiddlywinks, don't see why people get so offended.

There is no way chisora wins this. He has very little power to trouble fury despite his dodgy chin. Fury will use his longer reach to his advantage by leading with his jab. Fury has improved greatly since the first encounter and fit Derek or not cant see how he wins this.

Â