The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

From the undercard last night:

http://youtu.be/r_UvZbU_oow

Gabino Saenz (prospect) vs Dominic Coca (journeyman) 

Saw a blog post calling the referee a disgrace for not stopping it sooner.  I can't see anything wrong myself. What do you guys think?

He was getting staggered about all over the place and he is a journeyman so yes it was correct, if he was, for instance, a world champion then no.

In terms of Khan-Mayweather, well I just can't wait for that, as it will end in a KO win for Mayweather.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Here's a thing I need to share with an appreciative audience, my wife has never heard of Mike Tyson.  She's not thick or anything, but she's genuinely never heard of Mike Tyson.  She's 28 years old. 

I still like him. :)

Anyway, saw this on /r/boxing, thought I'd post it here.  Some bloke has taken the highest ranked fighters on Boxrec for every weight division:

• Minimumweight: Ricardo Lopez
  • Light Flyweight: Humberto Gonzalez
  • Flyweight: Pascual Perez
  • Super Flyweight: Gilberto Roman
  • Bantamweight: Eder Jofre
  • Super Bantamweight: Marco Antonio Barrera
  • Featherweight: Willie Pep
  • Super Featherweight: Azumah Nelson
  • Lightweight: Tony Canzoneri
  • Light Welterweight: Julio Cesar Chavez
  • Welterweight: Jimmy McLarnin
  • Light Middleweight: Tommy Hearns
  • Middleweight: Sugar Ray Robinson
  • Super Middleweight: Joe Calzaghe
  • Light Heavyweight: Archie Moore
  • Cruiserweight: Antonio Tarver
  • Heavyweight: Muhammad Ali

I'm pretty sure it's retired fighters only, hence no Floyd Mayweather jr.  Cruiserweight is a joke though, surely Evander is the king there? It's a new division so tough to score but Evander Holyfield is a hall of famer.   I'd have David Haye ahead of Tarver too. 

Lightweight is another one.  Canzoneri is way before my time, but to have him ahead of Roberto Duran?  

Edited by The_Rev

Mayweather shouldn't be on that list regardless, he's not the greatest of all time in any weight class.

I definitely don't agree with McLarin at welterweight, Ray Robinson has to go there as he is the best of all time at that weight with honorable mentions to Henry Armstrong and Ray Leonard.

Tarver at cruiserweight is a stupid retarded joke. Firstly his only notable wins are at Lightheavy, secondly Holyfield is clearly the best ever at that weight. 

Carlos Monzon is the best middleweight of all time and I'd put Pacquiao as the top super featherweight.

Sounds like Khan has got his shot at Mayweather May 3rd apparently.

Beat ya to it my friend ;-)

Has khan even done enough in his career to earn a shot Mayweather?

Ive always thought khan's style would cause Mayweather problems with the sheer volume of punches he throws and the fact floyd isn't a big puncher. However anyone who saw khan's last fight will realise what a joke this fight is. The guy is finished at the top level at 27 and I'm serious. A light punching average fighter like diaz was rocking him every time he caught him. Khan's punch resistance has GONE and he had changed his style in that he throws no where near the same volume of punches he used too. He lost his speed as well. I just don't get how he has declined so badly at such a young age.

Joke fight. If garcia knocked khan out and is undefeated then it should be him or at least Bradley. I guess after his last so called tough fight that actually wasn't, floyd deserves an easy and entertaining fight.

Everyone says how great Khans speed is but in his last few fights his punching has been incredibly one dimensional, left right left right run away before you get tapped on the chin, there was no variety in the punches at all from what I remember.

The other thing that people are saying is about Floyd's lack of power but he isn't paper fisted by a longshot he has always had enough power to keep people from charging in like a bull in a china shop, sure he doesn't swing like Tyson but he certainly has a fair bit of pop when he does throw...it's just that he doesn't often have to throw.

I for one am glad that they look like they are going to fight just to see Khan get the schooling of a lifetime, however just imagine (please just try) if Khan won, I recon I would throw myself under a bus you would never hear the end of the annoying word removed.

That is my only fear if anyone was going to fluke a victory against mayweather it would be the most hated boxer in the UK

Yes, because he is an entertaining fighter who pulls good PPV numbers.  He is popular in the US and in the UK.   He has no chance of beating Floyd, but lets face it, neither does anybody else and Floyd has to fight somebody. 

Yes, because he is an entertaining fighter who pulls good PPV numbers.  He is popular in the US and in the UK.   He has no chance of beating Floyd, but lets face it, neither does anybody else and Floyd has to fight somebody.

Fair point. I think this fight could end khan's career in the same way it did Hatton.

Garcia - I'll have one more fight at 140

Fresh off his victory against Lucas Matthysse, Danny Garcia, the current WBA, WBC and Transnational junior welterweight champion, spoke to the press briefly and reveled his desire to get back into the ring plus commented on a possible fight against Floyd Mayweather Junior.

Speaking on how he defeated Lucas Matthysse and the rumors about a rematch:

Hard work, good training camp and good sparring partners. Even though I’m a younger fighter, I have more experience than him in a championship fight and fought good opposition before so I think that played a big part. Just the hard work and the confidence. I’m not really interested in a rematch. He wasn’t the champion.

On working with his father Angel Garcia:

We’ve always been elite. (We have) good chemistry and we know how to win.

Having always been considered an underdog or being overlooked, Garcia had the following to say:

Fights of that magnitude (Mat give that extra push, cause I always work hard. It’s in my soul and it brings out the best in me these kind of fights. It’s not about being the underdog or the guy that’s picked to win, fights of that magnitude just bring out the best in me.

Garcia is also open to a potential fight with Floyd Mayweather:

That means a lot. Floyd’s been a champion for 17 years, I’ve been a champion for 2 years. Just for people to put my name in the same category as him, being in a potential with him means a lot.

With the contenders at 140 drying up, Garcia claimed he could do one more fight before moving up:

I’ve definitely proved myself as champion at 140. I can fight the fights I want at 140 but there’s really not a lot of fights in that weight class for me. It’s going to be a tough decision, I fought hard for them (sic) belts. I’m getting to that point where maybe I will move up, maybe I won’t but if anything I’ll do one more fight at 140

Speaking about his exposure since being the main support to the Mayweather-Alvarez fight, Garcia claims that it’s changed his life:

Everywhere I go people know who I am. I can walk in the mall no more! My life changed overnight. I’m just blessed and am ready to do bigger and better things.

When asked by FightNews about a possible rematch with Khan:

He hasn’t been looking that spectacular in his last fight. He’s a good fighter, definitely the fastest fighter I’ve ever fought but as far as me fighting him to get to Mayweather, nah.

In closing, Garcia would return to the ring in a heartbeat if needed:

I didn’t really take no punishment (in the last fight), if they booked me for a fight tomorrow, I’d be ready.

- Fightnews

Garcia has grown on me to be honest, I still think he is a gobs**te but he has certainly improved over the last few fights, he looks like he has more to him than just that left hook which he was relying on in his earlier fights.

To be fair, it's his dad who talks all the smack and that might be a deliberate ploy to keep Danny in the news while keeping the pressure off him. He has to be a candidate for fighter of the year.

I don't think it worked in the build up to his fight against Mathyse though, although he done a great job in the ring (albeit that Mathyse was pretty **** up for a large period of the fight) quite a few people commented that his dad's approach looked to be distracting Garcia and actually putting more pressure on him rather than detracting it.

Yeah I wouldn't argue as candidate for FOTY

Well there's a huge fight tonight with Wladimir vs Povetkin. Most people are picking Wlad, understandable, but I think this could actually be quite interesting. The reason is because Povetkin is a very good inside fighter, Wlad is a terrible inside fighter, all he does on the inside is clinch, so if Povetkin can get past the jab and evade the clinch we could have an upset on the cards because we know that Wladimir cannot take much punishment with that 'chin' of his.

Still, I expect Wladimir to win, possibly by stoppage, but I'll be watching the first 3 rounds very closely to see if Povetkin is able to do the thing I think he's capable of. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Â