LC: Sunderland A 2009/10/27 Reactions and Ratings

LancsVillan

We have plenty of non-average, flair players (the same ones that were described not so long ago as 'counter attacking on toast' along with additions Delph and Downing) it's just that they're not playing as such at the moment.

We are clearly in bad form at the minute, but are still getting results more often than not. Sign of a good side that.

Pride of Brum makes a good point. If we are that average, then surely MON is a genius to be getting wins at Anfield, at home to Chelsea and, odd blip aside, steering us to a good league postion and into the QF's of the league cup

We are really solid at the back but we cant seem to get into full flow going forward. Another tough away game at Everton on Saturday despite them being in bad form.

Who ever we face in the Quarters it is going to be tough. Hopefully we can get Portsmouth or any game at home.

Our style of play at the moment is as good as it gets with the average players we have. If you want to see quality football, then go and watch Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and even Wigan who are all playing the game the right way. We are a team of grafters without flair. I'm afraid we will all just have to get used to it!

We were very lucky last night!

As I see it we weren't lucky yesterday, we had Brad Guzan. Saving 4 out of 5 penalties ain't lucky. And signing a goalkepper who saves goals ain't lucky. The opponents missing clear cut chances, if Sunderland did that, ain't lucky. So, in what way were we lucky last night?

We are really solid at the back but we cant seem to get into full flow going forward. Another tough away game at Everton on Saturday despite them being in bad form.

Who ever we face in the Quarters it is going to be tough. Hopefully we can get Portsmouth or any game at home.

We are not in bad form. Our style of play at the moment is as good as it gets with the average players we have. If you want to see quality football, then go and watch Man U, Arsenal, Spurs and even Wigan who are all playing the game the right way. We are a team of grafters without flair. I'm afraid we will all just have to get used to it!

We were very lucky last night!

So what about the the 07/08 season when we produced brilliant football and scored 71 goals, our midfield and attack then was:

Carew Gabby

Young Coker Barry Petrov.

So stop thinking this is the best we got because you know players like Young and Carew can give so much more than they are giving right now,

I've never come across such opinions that piss me off than yours, constantly putting down the team when clearly isn't the case and the thing is aswell is that you slate O'Neill, yet you call his team average, so which one is it, because if he's managing an average team, being 3 points of 3rd is a hell of an effort.

I don't really care AP if my opinions do piss you off. I am stating what i see. We are playing poor, poor football and it has continued from last season. We find it difficult to string two passess together and resort to hoofball when under pressure. We are too reliant on set pieces for our goals and we were found out in Europe for it.

Our manager has in large, bought midfielders who are grafters, rather than technically gifted midfielders that we need to be successful. We are too one dimensional in our play and just too predicable. Thats why we struggle to score from open play!

If you disagree with my posts then that is fine. If my posts however piss you off, then simply don't read, or reply to them!

Our manager has in large, bought midfielders who are grafters, rather than technically gifted midfielders that we need to be successful

I don't think you can describe young, downing, delph, milner and petrov as just grafters.

You mention that we don't play football the right way, surely football is all about results and you play to get the right result. The fact we have finished 6th the last 2 seasons and are looking to challenge the top 4 again would suggest we do play football the right way.

Our manager has in large, bought midfielders who are grafters, rather than technically gifted midfielders that we need to be successful

I don't think you can describe young, downing, delph, milner and petrov as just grafters.

You mention that we don't play football the right way, surely football is all about results and you play to get the right result. The fact we have finished 6th the last 2 seasons and are looking to challenge the top 4 again would suggest we do play football the right way.

Not an ounce of technical ability between them, all of them are water carriers. Sting knows his football.

Young has been playing poorly for some time now, actually coinciding with him being doubled teamed. At the moment, he has no answers.

Milner and Petrov haven't shown me one piece of play yet which has got me off my seat, asking how did they do that?

Downing hasn't played for Villa yet, so lets see how he does.

Delph however, was one of my transfer window picks and will be a excellent player for us, when he is put into the right formation to suit him. I actually think Delph in time will become our new midfield enforcer when Reo-Coker leaves!

Not an ounce of technical ability between them, all of them are water carriers. Sting knows his football.

Thanks for that. :winkold:

Have we been playing well this season?

Will we get to 4th playing well all season or playing badly?

Lack of chances created is a worry, but with Downing due back in a couple of months I don't think we'll have that problem second half of the season. Hopefully Ash will get some confidence from that game too, sounds like he was putting some good crosses in again and scoring the winning penalty can only ever help confidence.

Full marks to our defence though, Collins and Dunne really are a brick wall to get through.

I'd say that we've played some good games, some bad games, and some average. If anything will get us 4th it's winning games. So far we've won more than twice as many as we've lost. Still, we're not that far into the season for such a stat to being taken seriously, IMO. But we're doing good enough so far. We haven't been as bad as some will try to put it.

I'd say that we've played some good games, some bad games, and some average. If anything will get us 4th it's winning games. So far we've won more than twice as many as we've lost. Still, we're not that far into the season for such a stat to being taken seriously, IMO. But we're doing good enough so far. We haven't been as bad as some will try to put it.

Indeed true, how many outfield goals have we scored though?

Are we going to carry on scoring so little when teams figure out how to stop us scoring....dont give away a set piece!?

I'd say that we've played some good games, some bad games, and some average.

I don't know, you Swedes, coming over here, infected our frothing, bile-filled threads with your reasonable, sensible views.

Young has been playing poorly for some time now, actually coinciding with him being doubled teamed. At the moment, he has no answers.

Milner and Petrov haven't shown me one piece of play yet which has got me off my seat, asking how did they do that?

Downing hasn't played for Villa yet, so lets see how he does.

Delph however, was one of my transfer window picks and will be a excellent player for us, when he is put into the right formation to suit him. I actually think Delph in time will become our new midfield enforcer when Reo-Coker leaves!

Young has been poor recently, doesn't mean he was signed as a grafter which was your point.

Milner and petov might not do wow things like ronaldo but they've shown they have technical ability and are not just grafters.

You don't have to have seen downing play in a villa shirt to know he is more than just a grafter.

We haven't been playing well all season, we've been very good in some games, average in some and poor in some. The rest of the teams challenging for that 4th spot have been the same so i certainly don't see us out the running from what i've seen this season from us and the likes of arsenal, liverpool, man city, spurs and everton.

Are we going to carry on scoring so little when teams figure out how to stop us scoring....dont give away a set piece!?

Last season didn't you keep going on about to stop villa all you have to do is stop young? Now it's don't give away set pieces, maybe we aren't as one dimensional as some try to make out.

Indeed true, how many outfield goals have we scored though?

Was searching through my head thinking that it can't have been that many from set pieces but realised that it is. :lol: 3 against Liverpool, 2 against Chelsea, 1 against citeh, and then I stoped counting. :P Yes, it's a weakness that almost only score on set pieces, but two things:

1) They will give away more set pieces cause it's a big part of the game. Either that or they'll let us run through their defences hoping we'll miss anyway and I don't think we will miss all chances we get.

2) We may look like an easy side to defend against in open play but one have to remember that two of our best attacking players, Young and Carew, have been out of form and when they come back it'll only make us better. And add Downing to that and I think it looks a lot brighter than it seems to be right now. Can we win as much as we have without them being in form or playing, imagine how it can be when they're in form and back from injuries. And maybe Delph too.

I'd say that we've played some good games, some bad games, and some average.

I don't know, you Swedes, coming over here, infected our frothing, bile-filled threads with your reasonable, sensible views.

:lol: Sorry, but Sweden is here known as the land of "lagom", which don't even have a proper translation in english but should be something like "in between", which means that we seldom have extreme views of things. :lol: In between ain't really proper either, but it works sometimes. If true it says a lot about us that we're the only ones to even have that word in our language.

Great result. One I did not expect. Glad to progress in this competition. I had a feeling Arsenal might win this, now I fancy us but I guess that's being in the quarters for you

Brilliant to see a totally crestfallen Bruce during his interview. Tosser