World of Warcraft

The_Rev

I am getting back into it - my mage dinged 44 last night. I had enough gold from my druid to allow my mage to dual spec both Frost and Arcane. While frost is good for surability, arcane gives you nice little spells/tricks to beat players in pvp (such as silencing etc).

Anyone recommend any other MMORPG - LOTRO? Warhammer?

Guild Wars is superb if you are looking for a more "skill" based MMO. Ive not played it for quite a few years but I think its still one of the top "skill" based MMO's. Very low level cap which you can get to in a few weeks of casual play, you don't need to grind for good armour (although you will for the best, which isnt a whole lot better) and its far more PvP oreientated that WoW.

Only draw back is the lack of grinding for things you actually have to do, therefore making you run out of things to do after a while.

Its also much cheaper, no fee's after you buy the game, but you will want to by teh expansion packs they bring out about once a year.

Its jsut a very underrated game that only isnt bigger than WoW imo becuase it rewards skill more than it does time spent in the game.

How massive is massive? You could say the same about most "MMOs", including WoW for all of TBC. I havent played it for yonks, but I do remember there was one PvP environment that involved 24 - 32 players.

You couldn't say the same for WoW at all. There are thousands of players playing in the same persistent world in WoW - that is an MMO.

Guild Wars is just a CORPG. It's a great game but by your definition, Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast and Counterstrike are also MMOs.

Guild wars is definitely not an MMO. Its a cooperative online game with pretty lobbies. Its no more an MMO than pretty much any Xbox Live game. The only difference is that instead of a name on a list in the lobby like you get on the Xbox, you have an avatar that can run around in a relatively small area.

It's hardly worth getting into a discussion about. WoW and GW are the same genre of game, and very similar in many ways. Anyone looking to play an MMO game is not going to rule that out just because many people say its not a MMO. Its in the same category as Lineage, WoW, Warhammer et all.

If he is looking for a good MMO, Guildwars would be a good choice, regardless of wither its techincaly a MMO or not.

its not an MMO when 90% of the game is instanced.

Is it a MMO when 90% of your time is spent in an instance? (at end game level that is)

And I think you'll find that instances in WoW take up a suprising amount of the game area aswel.

Its probably about the same size as the non-instanced areas.

To continue this pointless debate slightly further, Guild Wars just inst an MMO in the way WoW is. You never meet anybody out and about in the open, because everywhere is instanced. Whats the point in that? For me, a MMO has to be an online world, Guild Wars definitely is not an online world.

Not even Arenanet consider Guild Wars an MMO and they made the game.

People who say it is an MMO are either misinformed as to what defines an MMO or are simply referring to it as an MMO for the sake of the misinformed and broad categorisation (in the case of awards). In reality, it's a CORPG (Competitive Online Role Playing Game).

Or in other words, it's an "up to" 8 player co-op RPG with an advanced avatar lobby system and 32 player competitive combat.

A persistent world allowing thousands of players to play and interact simultaneously in non-instanced content is the fundamental attribute of an MMO and GW does not have that regardless of the gameplay similarities between it and MMOs. As such, telling people it's a straight up MMO is just mis-selling it.

To continue this pointless debate slightly further...

It's what the internet is all about.

No, its what discussions are all about. If you think they are pointless dont start and continue them.

Would I be right or wrong, after someone asking for a good MMO to play, to point them in the direction of Guild Wars?

To continue this pointless debate slightly further...

It's what the internet is all about.

No, its what discussions are all about. If you think they are pointless dont start and continue them.

Would I be write or wrong, after someone asking for a good MMO to play, to point them in the direction of Guild Wars?

Being butthurt is also what the internet is all about.

Â