We all want a new signing but who should they replace?

paddy

Who would you drop from the first team to accomodate a new signing?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you drop from the first team to accomodate a new signing?

• Sorenson
    • Delaney
    • Laursen
    • Samuel
    • Solano
    • McCann
    • Hitzlsperger
    • Barry
    • Vassell
    • Angel

We all want a new signing (or 4) but who should they replace? assuming we want them to play in the first team, it's obvious we need more squad depth, but that's cover, who should go in the first team? I know there's a lot of similar threads to this but at no point have i seen anyone say who they would drop to accomodate all these signings everyone wants, our first team isn't really week, we've just got no strength in depth

i'm guessing the winner of this poll will be vassell, but we shall see

there appears to be a limit on the number of options you can give on the poll so i removed mellberg, seemed logical as surely no-one wants him replaced, if you do just say, but it won't fit in the poll

WE CAN'T BUY 6 QUALITY PLAYERS, ASSUMING WE CAN ONLY BUY ONE WHO WOULD THEY REPLACE, obviously listing others you think could be replaced is fine but this poll is assuming we're only going to sign one more first team regular so as not to make the poll too complicated

Who voted for Nobby?....Bit harsh, he needs time to settle.

who do you think? as only me and you have written anything on this thread and you know who you voted for?

it's not i don't like nobby, i like all the players in our team, and i wouldn't say we're desperate to replace any of them, solano is 31(?) and has only got a few years left in him, plus he's often away on international duty and injured, so i think we could do with a top quality right winger, he's a very good player don't get me wrong, but we could do better

and vass is 23... i still rather have someone else, i wouldn't object to playing vass right wing but it wouldn't bring the best out of him and i don't think it will happen, this isn't me saying i would drop solano now, its just if we had the chance i'd sign a replacement

Well on last years performances those who didn't make it were Alpay, Dublin, Crouch, Allback, johnsen, Whittingham, Ridgewell, Moore, Moore.

Those that only just made it where Delaney, Solano, Barry, Hendry, MacCann, DLC, Hiltz, and Vassell

Which if I'm not forgetting anyone leaves Mellberg, Sorensen, Samuel and Angel who I'm sure must be first picks.

Any of the others would be imo potential to be replaced, as some of them have been.

Can't say about Laursen based on 3 Euro 2004 matches apart from he's better than anyone else we have in that position Mellberg excepted.

avfcinwales, come on then I'll play ball on this. What is 'it' in your eyes as from what I saw last season Liam, Whitts, both Moores, MD(injury permitting), Nobby ditto, GB, Gav, Daruis and Hitz certainly had the 'It' I was looking for

IT in my eyes being the ability to play in the prem and compete in it. All of these proved themselves to be worthy of wearing the shirt and competing in it. They all show a desire and all of them have certainly improved from wher they were at the start of last season. As has the team's ability overall.

get vassell out now, dont need him in the side. Dont want to wind anyone up but i really dont like vassell in the team, lazy and overated. Id have him with angel than allback and moore and moore but thats not saying much. Now as a super sub, thats a different matter!!

Who is stupid enough to vote for Nolberto Solano? He is our best winger, our first "true" winger in a long time.

You call call Barry a winger, all though he isn't a typical winger however. He doesn't raid three guys, clicking some "Ronaldo-tricks" whilst setting up an attacker geniously. Barry has a good passing foot, but he isn't a typical winger, as he has played both left back, defender central and midfielder as well as winger.

Solano made a huge impact last year. Creating something I thought didn't exist at Villa Park! Now he is starting a new season, and I am thrilled!

I went for Daz Vaz. I like him, but out of all of those lot Id say that he is the one I would drop first - so long as we got somebody that is at least equal talent to him, so Baros would be a good example.

VASSELL OUT?

He is our jewell, he is our untouchable, our prove of the youth academy really working!

He is our only England international!

Yeah he was a little bit unlucky last season, missing a lot of opportunities, but he makes it up with his uncredible pace. I'd reckon he will score a lot of goals this season, and I'm looking forward to it!

He is such a fast guy, probably the speediest in the PL.

Stefan Moore is too old to be a major talent, remember that he is 20, turning 21 in september. If he doesn't get the chance this season, he will maybe make a move to Derby or something within a couple of seasons. MAYBE he is the player to watch this season? I think he will be the surprise-player :)

Luke Moore is too young, forget him being our main striker this year. He is not the Rooney type of guy. Abobe all, Villa isn't an Everton type of crap team with lousy strikers, means we can't afford to let him play a lot.

Well as I said Norway, im not calling for Vassell out - just saying that out of all those lot he would be a bit more replacable. We do need to get a 3rd striker, to keep competition tight in order to avoid any sort of complacency - because as ive said many times, the front 2 pick themselves.

Bloody hell Norway your a bit mad aren't you! Vassell the jewel, Barry is the bloody JEWEL!!! and didn't you see his Maradona spin Vs. Spurs it worked aswell! I don't like Ronaldo OTT tricks anyway!

You call call Barry a winger, all though he isn't a typical winger however. He doesn't raid three guys, clicking some "Ronaldo-tricks" whilst setting up an attacker geniously. Barry has a good passing foot, but he isn't a typical winger, as he has played both left back, defender central and midfielder as well as winger. Solano made a huge impact last year. Creating something I thought didn't exist at Villa Park! Now he is starting a new season, and I am thrilled!

back up sunshine :

1. who ever called / calls Barry a winger ?, he's a left-sided midfielder. a bloody good one at that. and possibly (check the results for yourself) the reason we improved last season as soon as we put him back out left rather than in the middle where he was out of his depth

2. "Solano made a huge impact" - did he really ?, how many of his games did you watch ?. i was at the games and i think you may be wrong squire. he did ok, nothing more nothing less. had a few really good games and a few really average games, and then missed a lot of games. hardly what anyone would call a 'huge' impact

To play devils advocate, why is the nature of this thread so negative?

Why is it a case of "who has to go?"

Why pick on someone as "not good enough?"

Why don't you get behind the team etc. etc.

We'll finish 4th etc. etc.

Why invite people to complain?

All this negative stuff is boring. We have a great team blah blah

----

Funny isn't it how an innocent question or viewpoint can be picked on and slagged off.

What I'd like to see is players at least as good as those all on the list brought in to the SQUAD, to give competition for places, choice to the manager, cover for injury, players who can come of the bench desperate to claim a place in the team. No "guaranteed picks" because of lack of cover.

Take players on their merits and form and recognise that they are ALL good players.

We're still light in left backs - just the one. ball winning midfielders, right sided mid, maybe a centre back and perhaps, if we want to have a go for top 6 or 7 again, then another forward.

I'm not having a go at you andy-s, just making a plea for tolerance of other people's views.

I love Barry as well, and I rate him very high. He is one of my fav players. But a left midfielder is supposed to enforce a couple of defenders, and then he is called a winger. Barry is great, but not international class just yet. If he was so good as you rate him, why isn't he in the England team? Grip and Eriksson obviously think that he is missing something in his game. Im sounding awfully like a Blue Nose, but stop thinking of Villa players like they are Real Madrid players, because they are clearly not.

I am also referring to DOL who mentioned Solano who made a huge impact on the Villa side during his couple of games last season. As far as I can remember, he is the manager isn't he? Which means that he's got such more skills than you do to judge a player. He said this last year, after the games were completed.

Guest RantinRob

why isn't he in the England team?

england team is really media-picked, which is why im not too keen on them - how else would donkskey get in the team??

He won't now he plays for scum heath alliance :wink: