Curtis Davies - Special praise for a special player.

blandy

Roonst 83 writes

Curtis Davies is fast becoming one of my favourite players at our club, after seeing him being interview quite a few times now, it is clear that he is one of few young english premier league stars who can actually articulate himself well in an interview (take note Gabby) - he is an honest and very professional individual and is a great asset for Aston Villa Football Club.

Since joining villa on a loan-to-permanent deal at the beginning of last season, it is fair to say that Curtis Davies hasn’t had the best of luck after he was initially ruled out of playing when he'd first joined by a slight hamstring injury and then when he did finally get his chance in a league cup game at home to Leicester City, he endured a disappointing debut in which he confessed to playing (and this comment will stick by him forever and a day now) as "a pub footballer".

However after seeing him through (slightly blurry eyes after a pint or few) on a post Christmas afternoon game in Wigan. Davies' premier league debut showed us much more about what was to come from him with a sound performance in atrocious conditions on the pitch/farm at the JJB stadium - added by the fact he got us back into the game with a great header from a corner. From then he was a regular fixture, taking the unfortunate Zat Knight's place, at the heart of villa's defence - and his performances showed how mature this young man is. We looked solid. But then, as bad luck would have it, Davies suffered a ruptured achilles tendon in our fantastic display at the emirates in March - and this ultimately ended his season.

However after being told that he was unlikely to feature for villa again until October 2008, Davies has shown yet another quality to his game. Where it may have been easy for a player with a long term injury to take it steady, relax over the summer and gradually ease himself back in, this was not how Davies' mind works. The sheer determination that this man has shown in getting back to fitness so soon (much ahead of schedule) after that horrible Achilles tendon injury at the emirates deserves huge praise both to himself and the physio team at the villa.

On being quizzed by the media regarding the new signing and added competition in Carlos Cuellar, Davies displays great level-headiness in stating that "competition can only be good for the team". This man relishes a challenge and probably prefers playing that way; he has after all overcome quite some huge obstacles through his attitude in getting back to playing so soon. He is dead right when he says this - we would have looked too thin on the ground defensively with only on reserve centre back in Zat - Cuellar comes on a good reputation, as did Curtis - and I’m hoping both will prove to be great assets for our club.

Davies strikes me a being very similar to Rio Ferdinand, in that not only is his arial ability one of his strengths but also his ground play, with the ball - he is comfortable with the ball, can play abit without making stupid mistakes, and of course he is damn fine at making a challenge - as we saw against Manchester city on Sunday.

I’m sure it won’t be long before Davies is being called up (once again) by Fabio Capello. And hopefully lady luck will stay on his side with injuries.

Everything about this player is professional, you wont hear of him being 'off his face' on broad street on a Friday or indeed Saturday night after a game. He is focused, speaks clearly of his goals and ambitions - and after being reportedly chased by Man Utd and Arsenal whilst playing for WBA he could easily have got caught up with the hype as many have before- he didn’t.

This man is one for the future and I for one am looking forward to seeing how he develops as a player at the heart of our defence. He (like others) would make a great captain at our club, something which I’m sure he is very capable of in years to come.

We now just need to correct that awful statistic that villa have never kept a clean sheet in a game when Davies has played. Ironic seeing as we always look far more solid with him in the team partnering Laursen, in my opinion of course. Let’s hope we put that right sooner rather than later, starting, preferably this Saturday with our battle away at Stoke.

UTV

Jonjo

Yes I agree 110% roonst83, I think Martin has signed a very good player who will become an England regular. He also talks a good game, says good things about our club and comes over as a pro who young lads would do well to model themselves on behaviour wise. I have a sneaking feeling we may be watching a future Villa captain here and possibly a future England one. One small point, Curtis is clearly very comfortable and confident when talking to the press. Not every player is a "wordsmith" and as you point out Gabby is the reverse of the coin. But, much respect to them both for being so willing to face the cameras and I think this shows how much playing for us and doing well for us means to them both. I just think Gabby does his talking best with his goals. :winkold:

One small point, Curtis is clearly very comfortable and confident when talking to the press. Not every player is a "wordsmith" and as you point out Gabby is the reverse of the coin. But, much respect to them both for being so willing to face the cameras and I think this shows how much playing for us and doing well for us means to them both. I just think Gabby does his talking best with his goals. :winkold:

absolutly, i agree - wasnt meaning to give gabby a hard time over his interview techniques - you either have it or you dont i feel - and as you rightly say Gabby is best doing his talking on the pitch. We all have strengths and weaknesses i guess, but it does make me smile when i hear Gabby's interviews.

Â