Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, TomC said:

That's what is commonly meant, but I think  you can make a pretty good argument that France is a little lower than the other 4, and that Portugal and Holland are at the same general level as France.

France is highly inflated by PSG. Take them out and their league is no better than Portugal or Netherlands.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

They will all at some point move onto a top club, but then it’s too late for us to get them. We can either get someone boring and safe, that still could go wrong, or we go for someone up and coming.

Yes. Maybe. Or they won't. That's the question, except instead of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, we face relegation.

26 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Steve Bruce has managed over a thousand matches. Experienced and available 

Talk about a straw man! Is anyone here advocating for experience alone as a standard? Not me. Advocating for experience doesn't mean advocating for that alone as a criterion, does it? 

13 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

With our current position and the general gloom surrounding we may end up having to choose between inexperienced, or tried and found not that good.

Emery is the only one I see now who is both experienced, proven to be really good and hasn't turned us down yet.

Obviously, I want it all, that's all. Who don't? Grace and experience. Beauty and wisdom.
giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just now, duke313 said:

That’s out of date by almost a year and half. Portugal are ranked 7th now.

So you saying last season Portugal was a top 5 league?

I guess the emergency of the mighty Lorient as put the french farmers league in the top 5 leagues

Just now, duke313 said:

France is highly inflated by PSG. Take them out and their league is no better than Portugal or Netherlands.

More competition in the Portuguese and Netherlands for sure!
Benfica and Porto. Pretty amazing Sporting was to compete with those sides and even out beat them to the Title! Stuff of legends

But people just dont want to give credit where credit is due 

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Well you are wrong. But i'm happy for you. 

Yes, according to the UEFA coefficients right now it might be. My definition however is the big 5 are the big 5 countries. Portugal and Netherlands are also considered quality leagues too. 

Really considering coachers from abroad for Premier League these days you need coaches who've qualified for Europe at least which passes my 2nd test. 

Just now, messi11 said:

More competition in the Portuguese and Netherlands for sure!
Benfica and Porto. Pretty amazing Sporting was to compete with those sides and even out beat them to the Title! Stuff of legends

But people just dont want to give credit where credit is due 

It’s the same for Gallardo, Argentina have a ‘Big 5’. Must be one of the best leagues in the world 🤣

Just now, CVByrne said:

Yes, according to the UEFA coefficients right now it might be. My definition however is the big 5 are the big 5 countries. Portugal and Netherlands are also considered quality leagues too. 

Really considering coachers from abroad for Premier League these days you need coaches who've qualified for Europe at least which passes my 2nd test. 

To be fair didn't you think we gonna finish 4th with Gerrard?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That’s out of date by almost a year and half. Portugal are ranked 7th now.

If you average the coefficients over last decade I'm sure on average the top 5 leagues are the big 5 countries I listed. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

If you average the coefficients over last decade I'm sure on average the top 5 leagues are the big 5 countries I listed. 

You’re probably right. Likely Portugal is 6th if you do that. Good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Shows how stupid you are that you think that. But your name is your name on here. messi11 

Page 4 of this thread you compared Gerrard to Mikel Arteta, so i listened to you, chilled out and was expecting 4th with Gerrard by the end of the season.

On 06/08/2022 at 18:13, CVByrne said:

Hilarious overreacting

Didn't Arsenal get hammered by Brentford last season on opening day and should have had 4th wrapped up come the end of the season

People need to chill out. Seriously 

Edited by messi11
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yes. Maybe. Or they won't. That's the question, except instead of slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, we face relegation.

Talk about a straw man! Is anyone here advocating for experience alone as a standard? Not me. Advocating for experience doesn't mean advocating for that alone as a criterion, does it? 

Obviously, I want it all, that's all. Who don't? Grace and experience. Beauty and wisdom.
giphy.gif

Amorim's lack of experience is a worry, no doubt. Not so much the fact he hasn't worked in England yet, more that he's only been a manager for 3 years. On the plus side, at least he's worked in a relatively big league -- even if Portugal's league is only 6th in Europe it's still reasonably big. Smith had never worked in a big league before VIlla, nor had Gerrard. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Amorim's lack of experience is a worry, no doubt. Not so much the fact he hasn't worked in England yet, more that he's only been a manager for 3 years. On the plus side, at least he's worked in a relatively big league -- even if Portugal's league is only 6th in Europe it's still reasonably big. Smith had never worked in a big league before VIlla, nor had Gerrard. 

Is comparable to Gerrard in that way, only three years experience. But if we go for Amorim it’ll be because we think he’s a good coach, and not because he’s Purslow’s mate.