Barbados

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Finally booked it. Going march 2023 with the mrs cant bloody wait.

Anyone have any recommendations of things to do or see? Any general advice greatly appreciated!

We did a Catamaran trip, where you get to see sea turtles, snorkel with fish at a reef and eat and drink nice things.

Go up into the sort of botanic gardens area - it's stunning, go to the Ship pub/outdoor nightclub at St Laurence gap, Can't think of the name of the club in Bridgetown, but it'll come to me - that was good too.

Take the yellow party buses rather than the Blue municipal buses - same price, but more fun.

It's a top place to go. I'll try and remember more things. Helicopter tour of the islands was OK, as was a jeep safari.

I spent a lot of my time water-skiing in the daytime. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blandy said:

We did a Catamaran trip, where you get to see sea turtles, snorkel with fish at a reef and eat and drink nice things.

Go up into the sort of botanic gardens area - it's stunning, go to the Ship pub/outdoor nightclub at St Laurence gap, Can't think of the name of the club in Bridgetown, but it'll come to me - that was good too.

Take the yellow party buses rather than the Blue municipal buses - same price, but more fun.

It's a top place to go. I'll try and remember more things. Helicopter tour of the islands was OK, as was a jeep safari.

Thanks Pete.  I definitely want to do the turtles as that looks incredible. One other thing ive seen out there is going in a submarine. Omg that would be awesome definitely doing that.

I think my hotel is by the laurence gap. Ive seen this a few times is that the main town centre?

Yellow buses ooooh i need to look into this.

Ill probably gove the helicopter a miss as im not great with heights and last time i did helicopter for hoover dam i was sick dont fancy that again!

I wanted to swim with dolphins but i dont think they do it there anymore.i think the animals are treated badly hence why whoch is fair enough i dont want to see animal cruelty

Definitely do the catamaran trip.  The one I went on stopped round near a shipwreck where there were loads of fish and turtles and included food and rum punch.  Just a great lazy day out.  The hotel was so good and fun that we didn't go out that much other than that.

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think my hotel is by the laurence gap. I've seen this a few times is that the main town centre?

It's quite a small island and the buses go round and round the outside of it. St Lawrence gap is not far from Bridgetown, the Capital, but nowhere is far from anywhere really maybe 30km max. North of Bridgetown is holetown and speightstown and up to the top tip of the island - most of the towns are small, not much more than villages.

St Lawrence gap has beach, bars, accomo places etc and is (or was) lively but not raucous, at least that was the case when I went, which was quite a while ago now. ALl the places have leaflets and stuff for going on trips or whatever - you can work all that out when you get there.

On 18/07/2022 at 15:41, blandy said:

I think we did the same stuff :)

the caves and botanical garden area were really stunning as you say 

the catamaran trip is still the source of merriment  in our house as I took my very young daughter (at that time ) in the water in a rubber ring and a sea turtle came up and bumped into her … when we got back to the boat she told the guide “ a tortoise bit my butt “ … sometimes i wish they’d never grown up :)

• Haha 2

On 18/07/2022 at 18:04, blandy said:

It's quite a small island and the buses go round and round the outside of it. St Lawrence gap is not far from Bridgetown, the Capital, but nowhere is far from anywhere really maybe 30km max. North of Bridgetown is holetown and speightstown and up to the top tip of the island - most of the towns are small, not much more than villages.

St Lawrence gap has beach, bars, accomo places etc and is (or was) lively but not raucous, at least that was the case when I went, which was quite a while ago now. ALl the places have leaflets and stuff for going on trips or whatever - you can work all that out when you get there.

I heard bridgetown is abit dodge and has ive rthe years had issues with gangs violence. So i might have to give that oart a miss. I think guided tours are best bet. Did you book them over in the uk or when you was over there?

On 20/07/2022 at 19:57, Demitri_C said:

I heard bridgetown is abit dodge and has ive rthe years had issues with gangs violence. So i might have to give that oart a miss. I think guided tours are best bet. Did you book them over in the uk or when you was over there?

Booked when there. It’s really easy. Bridgetown is like anywhere else, Dem. The only thing we were warned about there was leaving the Harbour lights nightclub, “well refreshed” at whatever time of night, keep your wits about you in the badly lit road walking to the main square where the buses run from. In the daytime it’s absolutely fine.

Oistins fish fry every Friday. All manner of fresh fish cooked in front of you with a side of macaroni and cheese. 

I went 14 years ago. It seemed everything came with a side of macaroni and cheese. 

Also the boom box minivans. Transport you all around the island accompanied by ear splitting reggae. Wonderful.

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2022 at 19:51, AVFC_Hitz said:

Oistins fish fry every Friday. All manner of fresh fish cooked in front of you with a side of macaroni and cheese. 

I went 14 years ago. It seemed everything came with a side of macaroni and cheese. 

Also the boom box minivans. Transport you all around the island accompanied by ear splitting reggae. Wonderful.

Sounds great thank you.i love seafood.im so excited for this trip. Always wanted to do carribbean

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
Â