Giants News

kkr

Nope, looking forward to this weekend and a chance to claim back sole possession of our division. Should be a great game and a W against the eagles after what they just did would be huge. Exciting times moving into the second half of our schedule.

Yet Another Parallel to 2007

Exit 172 : 3:09 pm

We all know how both the 2007 and 2010 Giants started 1-2, causing Coughlin's job security to come into question in the media.

We also know that both the 2007 and 2010 Giants came home in Week 4 to play on Sunday Night Football and registered double-digit sacks en route to winning with almost identical scores (16-3 and 17-3, respectively).

We also know that Kiwi (sadly) was sent to IR in the middle of both the 2007 and 2010 seasons.

Well, here's the latest parallel (which I haven't seen discussed):

- In 2007, the 6-2 Giants came home in Week 10 to play the Cowboys, and lost 31-20.

- In 2010, the 6-2 Giants came home in Week 10 to play the Cowboys, and lost 33-20.

We're still on pace for a Lombardi!

Refs were shit, offense only showed up for 1 half, defense were pretty toss as well. Only when they got in the redzone and it nullified their speed did we really seem to do anything. Tuck and Cofield an hold their heads high, that's about it.

MikeGarafolo- WR Hakeem Nicks is getting checked out today after limping off the field late last night. Rumblings aren't so hot, folks. Stay tuned. #nyg

MikeGarafolo- And no, I don't know Nicks' specific injury just yet. Hang tight. #nyg

Apparently could be 3 weeks.

Obviously it's terrible news, but it could be a blessing. Wth smith AND Nicks out, Eli's going to have to trust the other receivers more including Boss who I like alot), This was something we were forced to do in the 2007 post-season with no Shockey, when a couple of guys called Steve Smih and David Tyree showed up.

Coughlin says Beckum will line up at WR at times, Antrel Rolle said he'd be happy to play WR too.

Depth chart in training camp/pre- season:

Nicks

Smith

Manningham

Hixon

Barden

Cruz

Hagan

Moss

Raynaud

Calhoun

Depth chart now:

Manningham

Hagan

Calhoun

I've never, ever, seen a team hit so hard at one position before!

Plax needs to file another work release request!

Toomer just ran the NYC marathon, give him a call too.

Word is former 15th overall selection Mark Clayton, currently of UFL, is in for a tryout. He was good his rookie year, 1.3k yards 7TDs but injury and poor play doomed him from there.

Whoever we get though will not learn the playbook in 1-3 weeks so there will be no immediate impact, unless the guys we sign are known for wearing #81 and #17! I'd love to get #17 onto this team again now, he would plug right back in and be a beast still I reckon.

6 injuries at WR though is a joke. Time for the D to carry us in the next two home games. Diehl could be back this week though and if that's the case I'd happily run the ball 40times the next two weeks, especially out of 2TE packages.

Toomer or Plax would be idea right about now. I think we could do with Toomer a little more as Manningham has a similar skill-set to Plax. I'd hardly complain if it was #17 that came back though.

Haven't seen Clayton for a while, but better than nothing I suppose!

Bradshaw demoted, Jacobs to start this weekend. Coughlin said it was due to fumbles, about time I say. We need to go old school and run Jacobs up the middle pounding the D and popping off play action to the TEs down the seem and use the backs a lot more in the passing/screen game.

link

Jaguars' Garrard avoids knockout, but still 'pretty banged up' by Giants

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 10:14 AM, November 29, 2010

The Giants didn't officially get Quarterback Victim No. 6 yesterday, but they might have notched an asterisk.

The Jaguars' David Garrard was in visible pain with a heavily swollen left wrist as he stood in the locker room after a bruising final drive that sealed a 24-20 loss to Big Blue at New Meadowlands Stadium.

Technically, Garrard wasn't the sixth opposing passer to be knocked out of a game this season by the Giants' ravenous defense. But that could have been because the hit by Jason Pierre-Paul that injured Garrard came on the Jaguars' next-to-last play.

Considering Garrard fumbled on the next snap, needed nearly 30 minutes of treatment and X-rays and held his left arm in the locker room as if it were in a cast, it was tough to envision him going back out had the Jaguars gotten another possession.

Call it a TKO for Perry Fewell's defense: "It feels like I hurt everything," Garrard said, wincing as he spoke. "I'm pretty banged up."

The physical pain only added to the mental anguish Garrard felt after watching the Jaguars blow a 17-6 halftime lead and end their three-game win streak.

Jacksonville had owned the Giants' defense in shocking fashion in the first half, running for 145 yards and controlling the clock nearly 19 minutes while Garrard completed 11-of-16 passes for 91 yards and scrambled for a 5-yard touchdown.

Despite starting a pair of backup offensive tackles that included ex-Giant Guy Whimper, because of injury, the Jaguars kept the Giants' pass rush at bay early with maximum-protection blocking schemes, three-step drops and screen passes.

But Fewell dialed up the blitzes in the second half, with the result being sacks of Garrard on each of the Jaguars' final three plays. The last sack on a blitz by cornerback Terrell Thomas forced a fumble that Antrelle Rolle recovered with 1:25 left to seal the outcome.

"Towards the end, I should have just cut my losses and thrown the ball away to just try to get to the next down," Garrard said. "We were in a position that you don't want to be in, where you're relying on just throwing the ball every time. That's really falling into their hands."

Garrard also played into the Giants' hands -- literally -- with his first pass of the second half, a toss to the left side that bounced off Mike Sims-Walker into the hands of Thomas.

That play changed the momentum dramatically, as Jacksonville was outscored 18-3 the rest of the way.

It obviously wasn't how Garrard wanted his reunion with Tom Coughlin to go. Garrard, drafted by Coughlin to the Jaguars in 2002, had sent his old coach a Thanksgiving text last week and sought him out after the game yesterday to express his thanks for Coughlin bringing him into the league.

Coughlin's defense, in turn, might have thanked Garrard with a broken wrist.

"We just didn't continue to execute like we should have," Garrard said. "It's disappointing."

Â