Giants News

kkr

OMG HUGE, HUGE NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEW ORLEANS -- Jeremy Shockey was traded to the Saints for two draft picks Monday, giving New Orleans a disgruntled star tight end who watched from the sideline while injured as the New York Giants surged to the Super Bowl title.

The Giants will get second- and fifth-round picks in the 2009 draft. The deal must be approved by the league and is contingent on Shockey passing a physical.

The deal reunites Shockey with Saints coach Sean Payton, who was the Giants' offensive coordinator in 2002, when Shockey was Rookie of the Year.

"I have had a relationship with coach Payton and I appreciate what he has done as a head coach," Shockey said in a statement released by the Saints. "The Saints have a lot of weapons starting with Drew Brees and I look forward to joining my teammates at training camp. This will be a fun year."

The Saints report to training camp in Jackson, Miss., on Wednesday with several other tight ends on the roster, including last year's starter, Eric Johnson, along with Billy Miller and Mark Campbell.

Shockey, a four-time Pro Bowl selection who spent six seasons with the Giants, broke his leg against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 16.

He is known for his pass-catching ability more than his blocking, and was unhappy even before the injury. Once hurt, he didn't like the fact that much was made of the Giants winning with rookie Kevin Boss in his place.

"Jeremy brought great energy to the game every time he stepped on the field," Giants team president John Mara said. "He had a close relationship with my father from the time we drafted him, and I had a couple of long conversations with Jeremy this spring and summer. From those conversations, it was apparent to me that a fresh start was the best thing for us and for Jeremy."

The Giants, a proven winner without Shockey in the lineup, cut ties with a player who provided plenty of excitement on the field and plenty of distractions off it -- throwing a cup of ice in the stands during a playoff game in San Francisco, criticizing Giants fans for leaving a game early, or skipping voluntary team workouts in favor an offseason program run by his agent.

The Giants also unload the remainder of a five-year, $31.2 million contract extension that Shockey signed in 2005.

Shockey had 371 catches for 4,228 yards and 27 touchdowns with the Giants. He was drafted out of Miami with the 14th overall pick in the 2002 draft.

The Saints have been seeking a tight end who is more of a downfield threat than Johnson, who caught 48 passes for 378 yards last year as a starter.

Coughlin called the departing tight end "an outstanding football player who plays the game full speed and plays the game the way it was meant to be played."

"I wish him the best," the coach added.

The Giants still have five tight ends, including Boss, who started the last six games of last season. The others are rookie Eric Butler, Jerome Collins, Darcy Johnson and Michael Matthews.

"We have five young kids who are all vying for the position," Coughlin said. "The tight end position will be a very competitive position in training camp."

"Jeremy is a player that we are excited to have on our roster. He is someone I am familiar with as a player," Payton said. "He brings a skill set to the position that I feel will be a tremendous benefit to our offense."

The Saints' offense has been among the best in the NFL during Payton's first two seasons as coach, with Brees eclipsing 4,000 yards passing in each of them.

The hope in New Orleans is that Shockey's addition as a receiving threat, when combined with receiver Marcus Colston and Reggie Bush coming out of the backfield or lining up in the slot, will give Brees the options he needs to move the ball, no matter what defenses attempt.

Shockey's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, called last season a difficult one for his client, who was looking for a change of scenery.

"He's been one of the most successful tight ends in NFL history, but now I think he's going to be more prolific in the Saints' offense," Rosenhaus said. "I don't think Jeremy could ask for a better situation."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

link

I don't know what i think about the trade. He used to be a favourite player of mine but this past year and offseason and especially with the Super Bowl run without him also it seemed as though he became distant from the team and wanted out.

We did better without him and it was very much the case of him being too much of a distraction wit Eli arguably performing better when he wasn't demanding the ball and flappin his arms around in frustration when it didn't come his way.

Having said that he always did play hard, made great plays and was a nightmare matchup for opposition Safeties so that will be missed for sure.

His replacement Kevin Boss did well in his absence last year though with great chemistry between him and Eli especially during the post season.

He also moaned about having to block too often which is a joke because he is actually quite good at it and out of the elite pass catching TE's in the league i'd say he was by far the best blocker. If he doesn't want to do that then fine goodbye you're not worth the roster spot.

Trading him for a 2nd and a 5th is an ok deal but the thing that concerns me is that he has gone to an NFC rival, one with an elite QB and running game and one with a coach who utilised him and made him a monster in his first few seasons as a Giant, so that is very concerning!

Goodbye and worst of luck i guess!

Adam Schefter reported that we almost traded him to the Phins in exchange for Jason Taylor, that would have been a good trade with Taylor stepping into Strahans shoes and providing that veteran leadership. We have plenty other leaders though so no biggie and also a 2nd and 5th will give us plenty of options in next years draft.

JULY 21, 2008

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Super Bowl Giants today unveiled their own version of a summer blockbuster, trading tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans in exchange for the Saints’ second and fifth-round draft choices in 2009. The trade is contingent upon Shockey passing a physical exam.

“Jeremy Shockey was a great competitor and contributor during his years with the Giants,” general manager Jerry Reese said. “We wish him well in New Orleans.”

“Jeremy is a very talented football player who always played with great enthusiasm and great effort,” head coach Tom Coughlin said. “He was excited about playing. Jeremy always enjoyed being a physical football player and a tough football player.

“He’s an outstanding football player who plays the game full speed and plays the game the way it was meant to be played. He is a physical blocker who is a gifted athlete with the ball in his hands after receiving the ball down the field. I wish him the best.”

Shockey’s departure leaves the Giants with five tight ends, including second-year pro Kevin Boss, who started the final six games in 2007, including all four playoff contests. The other contenders are Michael Matthews, Darcy Johnson, Jerome Collins and rookie Eric Butler.

“We have five young kids who are all vying for the position,” Coughlin said. “The tight end position will be a very competitive position in training camp."

Shockey is the second high-profile player to leave the Giants in as many months. In June, seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end Michael Strahan retired.

“Jeremy brought great energy to the game every time he stepped on the field," said team president John Mara. "He had a close relationship with my father from the time we drafted him, and I had a couple of long conversations with Jeremy this spring and summer. From those conversations, it was apparent to me that a fresh start was the best thing for us and for Jeremy."

“I really appreciate the effort that Jeremy gave on behalf of our organization," said chairman Steve Tisch. "We had a special relationship, and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Shockey joined the Giants as a first-round draft choice in 2002. He played in 83 regular season games with 82 starts and started all three postseason games in which he has played. His career receptions place him fourth on the Giants’ career list and first among tight ends. The 371 catches leave him second among active tight ends behind Kansas City’s Tony Gonzalez (who has 820 receptions).

Shockey had 4,228 receiving yards (12th in team history) and 27 touchdowns, putting him in a tie with Earnest Gray, Chris Calloway and Ike Hilliard for 11th place on the franchise’s career list.

In postseason play, he had 13 catches for 143 yards and one score.

Shockey was selected to the Pro Bowl four times in his six seasons with the Giants.

In 2007, he started each of the first 14 games before suffering a fractured left fibula vs. Washington on Dec. 16. The injury required surgery and sidelined him for the remainder of the season and the entire postseason. Boss stepped into the starting lineup for the Giants’ run to the NFL championship.

Despite the injury, Shockey finished third on the team with 57 catches for 619 yards. He had at least four catches in a game eight times last season. Shockey’s three touchdown receptions tied Amani Toomer for second on the Giants, behind Plaxico Burress.

Shockey had a career-high 12 receptions and tied a career best with 129 yards vs. Dallas in Giants Stadium last Nov. 11. It was the sixth time in his career he had at least 10 catches in a game. His previous best single-game total was 11 receptions, which he had twice: Nov. 17, 2002 vs. Washington and Oct. 5, 2003 vs. Miami. He had previously gained 129 yards (on just five catches) at Dallas on Oct. 16, 2005.

In 2006, Shockey started all 15 regular season games in which he played and the NFC Wild Card Game. He was inactive for the regular season finale at Washington on Dec. 30 with an ankle injury. That year, Shockey led the Giants with 66 receptions, the second-highest total of his career. They accounted for 623 yards and seven touchdowns, the latter figure tying the career high he set in 2005.

Shockey quickly became a favorite of the Giants Stadium crowds as a rookie in 2002. That year, he was voted the Pepsi Rookie of the Year in balloting by NFL fans and selected first-team All-Pro by the Associated Press, Sports Illustrated, College & Pro Football Newsweekly and Football Digest. Shockey was voted to NFL All-Rookie team and the All-NFC team by Pro Football Weekly

His rookie totals were 74 receptions for 894 yards and two touchdowns. The 74 catches was the fifth-highest total in Giants history, a team record for both rookies (shattering the mark of 48 set by Bobby Johnson in 1984) and tight ends (eclipsing the 66 passes Mark Bavaro caught in 1986). The 74 receptions were the second-most ever for an NFL rookie tight end (Philadelphia’s Keith Jackson had 81 catches in 1988).

In New Orleans, Shockey will be reunited with Saints head coach Sean Payton, who was the Giants’ offensive coordinator in Shockey’s rookie season in 2002.

*The Giants also announced the signing of second-round draft choice Terrell Thomas, the cornerback from Southern California.

Thomas, 6-0 and 199 pounds, was taken by the Giants with the 63rd overall selection of the draft. At USC, Thomas played in 39 games with 28 starts. He recorded 109 tackles (78 solo), four sacks for minus 47 yards and 7.5 stops for losses totaling 61 yards. Thomas forced three fumbles and recovered three others, converting one recovery into a touchdown. He had 22 pass deflections and eight interceptions for 80 yards in returns.

The Giants have signed six of their seven draft choices. The lone unsigned draftee is safety Kenny Phillips, the first-round selection from Miami.

The players are scheduled to report to training camp at the University at Albany on Thursday.

*The Giants also added two offensive linemen to their roster, Shane Olivea of Ohio State and Jonathan Palmer of Auburn.

*The team waived three offensive linemen today: Brandon Torrey, Dylan Thiry and Andrew Bain.

link

Earlier this evening, Brian Bassett of The Jets Blog noted that the New Orleans Saints traded a second-round pick in 2009 to the Giants in the Jeremy Shockey deal, but the pick also could potentially belong to the New York Jets.

An ESPN report had this to say about how the Saints and Jets deal went down earlier this offseason…

Jonathan Vilma, was traded to the New Orleans Saints on Friday for a conditional fourth-round choice. The Jets could receive a second- or third-round pick in 2009 depending on how much Vilma plays and if he signs a contract extension. Talks have not started on a contract extension for Vilma, who is entering the final year of his rookie deal.

According to Newsday’s Tom Rock, the Jets will receive the Saints second-round pick in 2009 if Jonathan Vilma signs a contract extension and plays more than 85% of the defensive snaps and for the team this upcoming season. If the criteria is not met, the Jets will then receive a third-round pick and the Giants will get their original second and fifth-round picks. Now if the Jets do receive the Saints second-round pick in 2009, the original Shockey trade changes and the Giants will then receive a 2010 first-round draft pick, rather than a second and fifth-round pick in 2009.

Rock’s source tells him…

“That’s not going to happen because the Saints hold all the cards, and they’re not going to just give away that first rounder when they really don’t have to.”

It’s been speculated that Vilma, a fellow University of Miami product, was one of the players who was in Shockey’s ear, trying to lure him to the Saints during this summer. If that’s the case (and we’re not saying it is since that would probably be some type of tampering), Vilma may have recruited his way out of a new contract in New Orleans — at least until after free agency opens up.

Many have called the Shockey trade a win-win deal. The only loser appears to be the Jets, who will undoubtedly see their potential second-round price tag for Vilma shrink to a third.

To sum it all up, the Giants fans want to see linebacker Jonathan Vilma play 85% of the snaps and sign a contract extension this season. If that happens, the Jets will then receive the 2009 second-round pick, leading to the Giants receiving the Saints first-round pick.

Hopefully a 1st and 5th in 2010 then!

The Giants New York Giants could not make it work with Jeremy Shockey Jeremy Shockey , but they will have all seven of their draft picks signed and ready to report to Albany tomorrow for the start of training camp.

The club yesterday agreed with first-round pick Kenny Phillips to a five-year deal that could be worth more than $11 million, assuring the rookie will be in camp and ready to compete for the starting free safety spot vacated when Gibril Wilson Gibril Wilson signed with the Raiders.

Phillips was the last draft pick to sign. He was impressive during the spring, making an immediate impression during the rookie mini-camp. The Giants rated him as the best safety in the entire draft and were thrilled he was sitting there for them with the 31st overall pick. At present, second-year Michael Johnson is listed as the starting free safety on the depth chart but that could and likely will change once Phillips gets acclimated to the NFL game.

The competition for the starting strong safety spot also figures to be hot and heavy, with returning James Butler pushed by veteran Sammy Knight.

link

Good, all draft picks signed and camp starts today, the season will be here soon!

WOOOOOOOOO!

I am disappointed we let Shockey go, and I'm not entirely happy with what we get in return. But I'm glad we didn't trade him for Jason Taylor, that guy doesn't have many years left in him, and when he retires, it'd be almost as if we gave Shockey away.

I hope Boss steps up. He was good last season, but not good enough to fill in for SHockey!

I can't wait to see him at Wembley, I think I shall be supporting the Saints in that one!

Camp is well under way and heres a few notes -

ALBANY - Rookie safety Kenny Phillips, the first-round pick from Miami, made an impact in yesterday's morning practice with some hits that probably were a bit too physical in nature.

Phillips clocked running back Reuben Droughns Reuben Droughns on one play, sending Droughns to the grass. Phillips, realizing his overzealous mistake, immediately reached down to help up Droughns. A few of the veteran players on offense made sure Phillips knew he needed to tone it down a bit.

A few minutes later, though, Phillips couldn't help himself when he popped receiver Brandon London Brandon London in the chops after London made an over-the-shoulder catch on a lob from Anthony Wright Anthony Wright .

RT Shane Olivea, signed prior to camp after he asked for his release from the Chargers, is attempting a comeback from a serious problem. He was addicted to pain medication and checked himself into the Betty Ford Center.

"It was the best thing that ever happened to me," said Olivea, a Long Island native who attended Lawrence High School. "I have a new outlook on life and every day is a present and a blessing."

After missing the first five practices, QB David Carr passed his physical, was removed from the non-football injury list and last night made his training camp debut in the first full-pad session of camp.

"He's danced around on the sideline just about enough," Tom Coughlin said.

Carr was sidelined with a sore foot. Anthony Wright received loads of work in the morning, including several reps with the starting offense, and threw the ball fairly well, other than an errant toss that was intercepted by CB Corey Webster.

Rookie WR Mario Manninghan left the morning practice after the individual period because of quad soreness but is not expected to miss much time.

TE Kevin Boss started the morning session in style, tipping the ball to himself for a catch over the middle vs. S James Butler.

LB Mathias Kiwanuka was impressive in pass coverage when he made a good, deep drop to deflect a pass intended for TE Eric Butler.

"That was his fifth straight good practice," Coughlin said. "You saw him 35 yards down the field knocking a ball down. That is pretty good. Of course, he has got those 27 foot arms."

Kiwanuka wasn't completely satisfied.

"I thought I was going to pick it," he said. "When it was in the air I thought I was going to the house. For today, I'm OK with getting my hands on it. For tomorrow I'm going to have to pick it off."

link

Here's what we have for today, die-hard Blue fans:

- Rookie wideout Mario Manningham was back in action today, beating CB Geoffery Pope on an intermediate route - he may have pushed off a bit on the play. However, three receivers sat out today's practice - Amani Toomer, Plaxico Burress, and Steve Smith. Smith and Toomer were out with "soreness".

- WR Sinorice Moss continues to struggle, dropping two more passes in today's session - although one came on a tough ball from Manning.

- QB David Carr is on the bad end as well, as he continues to look leave the pocket prematurely, and continues to misfire on some routine completions. He also threw an interception to safety Sammy Knight on a crossing pattern.

- A little anxiousness from DEs Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora, as both had plays where they jumped offsides prior to the snap.

- QB Anthony Wright had his best day so far, looking much sharper on his intermediate throws and hitting on a couple of nice throws to receivers Michael Jennings and Brandon London. He did later botch an exchange from center, however.

A bit of a sloppy practice today, featuring a lot of yelling by the coaches. Two practices tomorrow.

-- H.Kiswani

Kenny Phillips: The Giants New Hit-Machine!

If you've read ANY coverage of today's training camp, which incidentally was the hottest day thus far, you've no doubt seen the stories of Kenny Phillips appearing to be the human wrecking ball that the Giants have waited for as a S for a long time. I'm not selling Gibril Wilson short, he could definitely lay someone out if needed, but it appears that Phillips is a born freight train.

However, being the team player (and rookie) that he is, Phillips is not going around knocking his teammates into last season. There's an etiquette, even when battling it out for a starting spot, to taking care of your fellow players...and he's been doing just that.

According to Ralph Vacchiano who pulled these quotes, Phillips said:

“It’s crazy...Sometimes I see the ball in the air and I’m running full speed and at the last minute I’m like, ‘No, don’t do it.’ I find myself kind of moving out of the way. It’s kind of weird.”

The Giants have had some concerning areas in the defensive secondary for a long time now. In fact, 2007 was the first season I remember where I didn't cringe during every single pass. Towards the end of the season, Corey Webster, Aaron Ross, Gibril Wilson...even R.W. McQuarters seemed to all just click.

However, now the Giants have a guy who's more on par with a Steve Attwater (yeah, I said it) or Roy Williams...only it seems Phillips not only hits hard, but can play well as a coverage guy who knows the game, how to read QBs, etc. In fact, Phillips shared:

“If you knock a guy out, that just scares him for the next time he comes across the middle. That’s when you get that interception. So most of the time when you see me, I’m probably going to try to take the big hit first and get the interception later.”

The best part about it? This guy isn't intimidated. All reports indicate that Phillips is hungry for the chance to get out there and pop some real opponents that won't get him in trouble if he puts them out of the game. So Giants fans, get ready!! We have a Safety that is ready to go out there and scare the living...(remember the kids, Sean)...snot...out of his opponents.

Get ready to see a Big Blue safety on as many highlight reels as he can possibly get himself on. Hunting season is about to begin!

link

Looks like Phillips is everything we need at Safety and that he is holding back from really letting fly on some receivers! Cant wait to see him play for real!

2008 Training Camp: July 30 AM Practice Report

Here are your tidbits from today's AM practice:

- WR Steve Smith didn't practice again this morning. CB Sam Madison was on the sidelines as well but is expected to practice in the evening session.

- The team did some punt return work today, with WR Domenick Hixon, CB R.W McQuarters, and WR Michael Jennings all taking part. Hixon has been getting most of the reps there, and it's becoming apparent that he's a favorite to stick at wideout this season. Hixon later added a couple of impressive catches working with Eli Manning - including a touchdown in red zone drills.

- Some of our readers have been asking about undrafted DE Wallace Gilberry - he notched his second and third "potential sacks" of training camp today, exploding past backup tackle Guy Whimper on one of them. He's been a little more active than 6th round pick DE Robert Henderson to this point. He's put himself in real contention for a roster spot.

- WR D.J Hall made a nice play on a ball over the middle from David Carr.

- We got a Danny Clark sighting - the linebacker showed some athleticism in coverage sticking with RB Brandon Jacobs to break up a quick underneath pass from Manning.

- QB David Carr continues to struggle. I don't know what's the deal with him and the exchange from center - but he's really struggled with that since coming back from the injury, and he needs to stop flushing the pocket so quickly. From all accounts, Carr is looking like a longshot to make the roster. For those who loved Carr's acquisition in March, should I say I told you so? Don't worry, I won't.

- Nice break on the football by S Kenny Phillips, almost intercepting a pass from David Carr - intended for rookie Mario Manningham.

Check back with us later tonight, for the evening report.

2008 Training Camp: July 30 PM Practice Report

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for:

- On the injury front, DE Justin Tuck and WR Mario Manningham both did not participate in the evening practices. Reports are that Tuck had "soreness" and Manningham is still dealing with a quad problem. Each player's ailments appear to be minor and should be back tomorrow. In addition, WR Plaxico Burress, WR Steve Smith, WR David Tyree, Gerris Wilkinson, Danny Clark and OL Adam Koets also did not practice

- The Giants announced that they have re-signed Safety, Craig Dahl. Dahl had limited playing time in 2007 before tearing his ACL in the season finale against the Patriots. As a result, the Giants have parted ways with Terrance Stringer.

- Backup QB, David Carr, has officially been cleared after passing a physical performed by the Giants medical staff. According to comments reported by USA Today, Carr acknowledges his sub-par performances thus far and realizes what challenges lie ahead. He recently shared:

"It's been rough, there have been some ups and some downs - mostly downs - but I still know I can play and still have confidence in what I can do. Throwing a football is still throwing a football, and I've been doing that my whole life. I just got to get out there and make some plays and I'll feel better."

However, Carr's words seemed to pick him up as he came to life in the evening practice, blasting out a handful of solid passes, including a rope to WR Brandon London.

- Reports reflect that QB Eli Manning has had a hot-and-cold camp performance thus far. His earlier passes went well with what Garafolo describes as a near "perfect" throw to Kevin Boss for a touchdown. However, he threw two INTs immediately after in larger drills.

- WR Michael Jennings had a tough practice after dropping a few adequately placed throws, one that ended up in the hands of CB R.W. McQuarters who was a few steps behind Jennings when the ball arrived.

- Runners beware. Apparently there is something in the water in Albany that is causing the likes of RB Derrick Ward and RB Danny Ware to drop a few balls today. What's worse? At one point, Ward even managed to fumble a ball a good ways down the field.

- It's that Tynes of year again! Garafolo reported today that K Lawrence Tynes managed to drill kicks from 30, 36 (twice) and 41 yards out...however, botched attempts from 33 and 45 yards out.

link

Giants Training Camp Report - 31 July 08

Hello from Camp, everyone. I'm sorry I haven't been available the past month or so but I've had some personal and work issues that have precluded me from contributing. I will be at camp through Sunday morning, and will try to report as much as I can until then.

Today, I spoke to a friend with the team and asked his opinion on a nugget I got that suggested that this was "Camp Quiet". I was quickly given a resounding, NO, it's NOT! Apparently, after the first few practices, the coaches were upset over the seemingly large amount of penalties along with the alarming number of dropped balls by backs and receivers. Referees have been brought in to tackle the penalty issues. As for the dropsies, it seems Jennings and Moss and to a lesser extent the backs are the main culprits. London, Hixon, and Smith are all flashing BIG time right now. Especially Hixon, who has caught everything thrown his way.

According to a team official, practices have seen an average of 1,000 more fans in attendence per session. The fans' perspective, however, has been diminished somewhat due to tightened security and higher fences further from the field. Today, though, it was a great day for the fans as practice was moved to the stadium field because of an intense rainstorm (no thunder or lightning) about 30 mins before practice start time.

Today, Justin Tuck, Adam Koets,, and Steve Smith were all back in pads and practicing. Mario Manningham and Gerris Wilkinson were still on the bikes, and Plaxico Burres was taking throws...some quite hard....effortlessly on the sideline from a variety of different angles. I didn't see (or look for, for that matter) DavidTyree.

Last night, I met Mario Manningham's grandfather (along with Mario for about 2 minutes before he had to get back for curfew) in the lounge of the hotel we're staying in. Mario's grandfather was staying at our hotel. and is a gracious man who had a lot to say about his grandson. Mario is a very humble and shy guy. His grandfather says he gets mistaken for aloof because he's so humble. He's NOT aloof. He also said his quad is a little sore but really is 'fine' and will be back shortly. Mario thinks he can practice now, but coaches are keeping him out as precaution (maybe they learned a lesson from the MOSS situation from a couple years ago?!?!?)

As reported earlier, it is BELIEVED that Gerris Wilkinson is nearly ready to go, and we could expect to see him early next week. Canny Clark looked good in his place today, and Chase Blackburn has been getting a lot of time with the one's at WIL and looked good, too. Remember, however, that it's very difficult to analyze weakside play in camp/practice because there is no real hitting going on and basically you're just looking to see if the WIL is in position (filling the hole) when the RB goes by.

The play of the day was made by Steve Smiith, who made a spectacular catch on a deep, underthrown pass by Manning. Aaron Ross had perfect coverage but Smith snuck inside, lept to make a simultaneous catch w/ Ross, then wrestled it away as they went to the ground. Both officials signaled first down as the crowd went crazy.

A very interesting note: Mathias Kiwinuka was running 1 on 1 pass rush drills with the defensive linemen (no other LBs participated). He looked incredible getting off the point of attack and around the end. This is interesting because it really shows that Kiwi will be playing the hybrid position he was playing last season. Kiwanuka nearly intercepted a pass on an out to Boss in the flat at the end of the practice during the 2 minute drill, giving out a yell of disgust for dropping it.

Kenny Phillips and Dom Hixon are still shining. There was an exceptionally pretty play by Phillips on Steve Smith, as he closed on a 15 yard in, tip drilling the ball up into the air, where it was intercepted by Butler. Hixon caught everything thrown to him again, and was used on the bubble screen twice that would have been nice gainers.

After a few rough sessions, Sinorice Moss finally had a pretty good practice. He caught a number of short passes and one solid mid/deep out from Carr. He still, however, doesn't seem to be able to locate the deep ball, and missed a couple that maybe should have been caurght. Frankly, I think Moss is done.

This early in camp, it's still hard to really tell about the O'line and D'line because they're not really hitting. Zak DeOssie, however, clocked Rueben Droughns in the hole on a play that elicited 'oohs' and 'aahs' from the crowd. .

The weather has been good the past two days, not too hot.

No injuries apparent during practice

link

Info on Giants pre season games and the network they are on -

Week 1

Aug 8th Friday 12:30 pm

NFL Network

Giants @ Lions

Week 2

Aug 18th Monday 8 pm

ESPN National TV

Browns @ Giants

Week 3

Aug 24th Sunday 4 pm

NFL Network

Giants @ Jets

Week 4

August 29th Friday 7pm

NFL Network

Pats @ Giants

Week 1 and 2 i will be in Spain but im hoping Sky Sports might carry the games as the apartment im staying in has Sky! :)

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Receiver Plaxico Burress did some light running on Sunday night for the first time since the New York Giants opened training camp at the University at Albany more than a week ago.

Burress, who has been bothered by a problem with his right ankle that's not related to the one he had a year ago, has missed all 14 practices.

Burress, who caught the game-winning touchdown pass in the final minute of Super Bowl XLII, was examined by team doctors on Sunday.

The veteran receiver led the Giants in receptions while catching a career-best 12 touchdown passes. He refused to practice during a minicamp in June to protest the team's refusal to give him a new contact. He was fined $25,000.

Drew Rosenhaus, his agent, had contract talks with the Giants last week. Burress has three years left on a contract that will pay him $3.25 million this season.

Also on Sunday night, middle linebacker Antonio Pierce missed his first camp practice with a sore shoulder, adding to a long Giants injury list.

Receiver David Tyree (knee) and linebacker Gerris Wilkinson (knee), have yet to practice, while rookie receiver Mario Manningham (quad) and OT Shane Olivea (back) missed both practices Sunday.

Receiver Steve Smith (groin), defensive ends Justin Tuck (foot) and Osi Umenyiora (hip), receiver Amani Toomer (leg), linebacker Danny Clark (hernia), cornerback Sam Madison (hernia) and safety Craig Dahl (knee) were limited to one practice.

Starting guard Chris Snee missed a goal line drill late in the evening with a sore shoulder.

link

Info on Giants pre season games and the network they are on -

Week 1

Aug 8th Friday 12:30 pm

NFL Network

Giants @ Lions

This game is actually Thursday night so im hoping to pick up a stream somewhere. Not sure which network has it etc.

Giants Fighting Early Symptoms of Injury Bug

With the New York Giants first pre-season game only two days away, the team is getting in gear and ready for their first foray into defending their Super Bowl Championship title. However, as is always an ominous possibility, the Giants are facing some concerns on th injury front. While there are no major injuries at the moment, the Giants are still working with near daily sidelined players.

At the moment, as Hazem documented throughout the day, the Giants discovered that Chris Snee's injury (shoulder soreness) is nothing serious and should only hold him back for a short time. As also reported by Hazem, Chris Snee, Plaxico Burress, Steve Smith, David Tyree and Mario Manningham will be out against Detroit on Thursday night.

However, of the reported players sitting out of the pre-season opener, rookie WR Mario Manningham is currently raising the most red flags. While nothing is official, it appears that he could be riding the pine for a substantial period of time. The NY Post reported today that Manningham is having some bleeding in his strained quad muscle. Rotoworld was even speculating the possibility of Manningham being placed on IR.

In addition to Manningham's injury, newly acquired OL Shane Olivea is having significant pain in his back. He will be undergoing tests tomorrow to gain a better understanding of his potential injury.

On a positive note, LB Gerris Wilkinson healed a bit more quickly than expected as he was taken off of the PUP list today and rejoined his comrades on the practice field.

Burress Contract Note:

According to Mike Garafolo, despite Drew Rosenhaus' appearance at camp today, the ongoing negotiations between the Giants and Burress have produced "nothing imminent." Burress has shown a dedication to the Giants and to playing this year, much to the delight of the team and fans, but this unresolved matter provides enough to draw mild concern.

Weakside Update:

Also of interest from Garafolo was news that former Texan, Saint, Raider and Jaguar, Danny Clark, is emerging as a serious candidate for the WILL LB spot. The front-runner label had been pinned to Gerris Wilkinson, but if that bum knee acts up again, the choice could go down to Clark or Kehl (who continues to raise eyebrows in camp).

Stay tuned to Giants 101 for more information about camp and Thursday's pre-season game.

link

• 2 weeks later...

Few bits of news -

We have released 6th round pick Robert Henderson and free agent acquisition Shane Olivia after both were placed on injured reserve. Also Eli Manning is now a cover boy -

6612-manning-vogue.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gutted about Osi and even more so that Strahan decided to stay retired! It would have been unbelievably awesome for him to have come back but he has earned his retirement so no problems with his decision.

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - The Giants players have elected five team captains for the 2008 season, including three who holdovers from last year.

The captains are quarterback Eli Manning and wide receiver Amani Toomer from the offense, middle linebacker Antonio Pierce and tackle Fred Robbins from the defense and punter Jeff Feagles representing the special teams.

Manning, Pierce and Feagles were also captains in 2007. Toomer has replaced Shaun O’Hara on offense, while Robbins replaces the retired Michael Strahan on defense.

link

'America's Game' featuring champion Giants debuts Sept. 3

NFL Network

Tyree's "worst practice in the history of practices"

Why Manning preferred to be down by four points instead of three

Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning and Michael Strahan tell the story of the 2007 Giants' magical road to the Super Bowl

Emmy Award-winning actor James Gandolfini narrates

What did Giants head coach Tom Coughlin add to his philosophy prior to the 2007 season? Why did Michael Strahan come back to play his final season and what did Eli Manning do to win new-found respect among his teammates? These questions and many more are answered during the newest episode of the Emmy Award-winning America's Game: The Super Bowl Champions exclusively on NFL Network.

The 2007 New York Giants will be profiled on America's Game on Wednesday, Sept. 3 at 9 p.m. ET on NFL Network. This episode includes exclusive video and sound of the Giants team meetings, practices, road trips and inside the locker room on the road to Super Bowl XLII.

The story of the 2007 Giants is told through the eyes of Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning and Michael Strahan, who provide an intimate portrait of how they became Super Bowl champions. The show is narrated by Emmy Award-winning actor James Gandolfini.

America's Game, which won the Emmy Award for best sports series, tells the stories behind the story of Super Bowl champions. Each episode is a 60-minute documentary (available in high definition) featuring key members of the winning team telling behind-the-scenes accounts from their championship season. With classic NFL Films action combined with news clips and photos, highlights from team radio broadcasts, footage from inside team meeting rooms, sideline audio and other exclusive features, America's Game provides an epic and intimate portrait of championship teams, in one groundbreaking series.

Below is a sampling of what's notable and quotable from America's Game: 2007 New York Giants:

Tyree's catch:

Manning on a practice during Super Bowl week: "David Tyree had the worst practice in the history of practices at any level. I've never seen anything like it."

Manning on the historic catch: "I looked downfield just for somebody. I can't say I saw David Tyree, I saw a white jersey in the middle of the field. I said, 'I have to try to make something happen.'"

Strahan following the catch: "That right there let me know we are going to win this game. For something that magical to happen in a season that's been so magical, we can not lose."

Manning's final drive:

The Giants were down 14-10 with 2:42 left on the clock in the fourth quarter and the Giants offense took over for one last drive. Manning assessed the situation: "This is the position you want to be in. This is it. You've got a chance to win the Super Bowl. The ball is in our hands. A two-minute drive at the end of the game. As crazy as it sounds, you would rather be down four points because three points you get conservative and settle for a field goal. Down four, there is no other option, its touchdown or nothing."

"Heart Attack Team"

On the field goal in overtime to beat the Green Bay Packers 23-20 after two were already missed earlier, Manning talked about how the Giants never won easily all year long: "He's (Lawrence Tynes) got to make it this time. It's the same philosophy, we like to make things tough on ourselves. We don't like winning in regulation on a short field goal. We like to win in overtime on a 48-yard field goal."

Strahan on the close games and comebacks: "Our personality was the personality of a team that can give you a heart attack, because we cannot win easy."

Quick quotes ...

"If this was going to be my last year, I am going to have some fun…I also had to slip in the caring part," Coughlin on the media calling for him to be fired prior to the 2007 season and changing his demanding coaching style.

"This is the perfect ending. I still can't believe it. ... It's unbelievable," Michael Strahan on the Giants' season.

"I am a better athlete. In basketball, it's not even a question. He still hasn't forgiven me for dunking on him the last time we played," Manning on comparisons with his older brother Peyton.

"I came back because I love to play," Strahan on why he came back to play one more season.

NFL Network airs seven days a week, 24 hours a day on a year-round basis and is the only television network fully dedicated to the NFL and the sport of football. For more information, log on to www.nfl.com/nflnetwork. NFL.com is the exclusive Internet home of NFL videos and NFL Network.

link

If you havent seen any America's game films then i strongly recommend you do, they are great insights into championship teams and how they went about achieving what they did.

Check out the videos on the right of that link above, the first two are snippets from the Americas game episode for the Giants and the first one is pure comedy from Strahan!

***This just in***

Plax has agreed to a new deal that locks him down for 5 years and will pay him $35m with $11m coming to him this year!

Glad its sorted, now all we have is Jacobs who is a free agent in the summer and wont sign a deal until the seasons out, Pierce looking for a longer deal on more money and Osi the same!

Everyone wants to get paid!

Â