Giants News

kkr

Pretty amazing indeed!

In other awesome news from this week:

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Eli Manning / QB / New York Giants

The Giants trailed the Cowboys 20-15 with 7:42 left in the third quarter. Manning stepped up when he had to with the NFC East lead on the line — three minutes and 12 seconds after the Cowboys pulled ahead by five, Manning's 47-yard TD pass to WR Mario Manningham put the Giants on top, but only briefly. Manning had to lead the Giants back again after they fell behind 34-22 with 5:41 left to play. He responded by completing 5-of-7 passes on an 80-yard drive, capping it off with a TD pass to TE Jake Ballard with 3:14 to play. The Giants' defense forced a three-and-out on the next possession, and Manning completed 3-of-4 passes for 47 yards on a 58-yard TD drive that gave the Giants the 37-34 lead they would keep. In all, he completed 27-of-47 passes for 400 yards, two TDs and one interception.

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

Jason Pierre-Paul / DE / New York Giants

It has been a breakout season for Pierre-Paul, and he had his best game yet in Week 14. The second-year player recorded a team-high eight tackles, including two sacks. His first sack put the Giants on the board in the first quarter — he sacked Tony Romo in the endzone for a safety, and the Giants scored a field goal on the ensuing possession. Pierre-Paul forced a fumble, too, stripping the ball from RB Felix Jones late in the second quarter. It was recovered by Giants S Deon Grant, and New York took over at the Cowboys' 14-yard line, converting the turnover into another three points. Pierre-Paul saved perhaps his biggest play for last, though. With the Giants leading by three, the Cowboys set up for a field goal to tie the game with six seconds left, but Pierre-Paul blocked the 47-yard attempt, sealing the Giants' win.

PFW

Vote Eli and Brandon as FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the week

Vote the Giants as GMC Never Say Never Moment of the week

Ok good one but your QB.......

rex-grossman-screwed.jpg

4411e031797.jpg

Perhaps Laron Landry was put on IR for dressing too gay also?

laronlandry2.jpg

Or to avoid more of the follwing:

jacobs-truck-stick.gif

Brandon Banks is in on the team vibe also.

bankswalldance.jpg

It is annoying because we really do only need to be average on D to be a good team. Look at the Pack and the Pats, they're 13-3 and have 2 awful defenses!

Pats and Pack (and Saints, for that matter) don't have bad defenses.

They do give up yards, but Belichick has never really cared about conceding yards (the Patriots, even in the dynasty years, never had a top 10 defense by yards): it's conceding points that costs you games.

Patriots are (through Saturday night) 14th in points conceded, Packers are 16th, and the Saints are 17th (Giants, for the record, are 6th worst, better than only the Colts, Bucs, Vikings, Panthers, and Raiders).

The other issue being that those 3 teams are blowing out teams all the time due to high powered offenses and then giving up a lot of passing yards in garbage time as teams chase the game.

This game is on the receivers. I did miss some of the first half, but it seems like 2 of the 3 INTs were on them, as well as a dropped TD and other drops. The Oline hasn't been all that either.

I don't want the playoffs now. GB pissed me off but at least we fought. Now I just don't care. If we're in, or not, I really couldn't care less.

I want in just to stop either Dallas or Philli getting in basically. Never know what happens once you get there either.

Playoffs are here for us now though legitimately. Win the next game and we still have something to play for. Beating the Jets on Christmas eve would be great and then set up a huge new years day game against Dallas for the division.

Fire Fewell the end of the season and get Spags back if he is sacked. HC in waiting then you dont have to force TC out. If he misses the playoffs completely though.....

A comparison between the '09 and '11 Giants defenses, etc.

Mike in Long Beach : 9:50 pm

I touched on this in another thread. Our defense this year is way worse than the '09 defense. We've already allowed 197 more yards in 2011 with 3 games remaining.

Here are some of the top statistical performances from the '09 Giants defense:

9/27 against Tampa: 86 total yards allowed, 5 first downs, 0 points allowed

10/4 against KC: 212 total yards allowed, 15 first downs, 16 points

10/11 against Oakland: 124 total yards allowed, 3 turnovers generated, 7 first downs, 7 points (Rush defense gave up just 60 rushing yards on 25 carries)

12/21 against the Skins: Yard total is inflated by garbage time work against a prevent defense (302 total yards), but 3 turnovers generated in a 45-12 win

We won those 4 games by a combined 105 points. That defense was just as lost as this one against a quality opponent for sure, but at least for the most part, you could count on them to shut down the teams they were supposed to shut down.

The '11 Giants defense, however...

The lowest yardage total they've allowed is 246 to the Dolphins, which is higher than the 4 lowest yardage totals allowed by the '09 Giants. The Saints gutted us for 493 yards in 09, which seemed impossible to beat... that is until we played them again in '11 and allowed a record setting 577 yards.

That Giants defense was bad, but if you were scoreboard watching against the Giants and you saw we had a crap opponent coming up, as an opposing fan you had to worry.

With this years team? We all talk about how great the offense is and how they battle back late in the game to pull out exciting victories, and it's true, but many of these games shouldn't have even gotten to that point.

There were 3 quarters against the Patriots this year where I thought this defense had a chance to really turn into a quality unit. It has since regressed in ways I never could have envisioned. I posted a thread a couple weeks back, dumbfounded, asking what on Gods name is up with this D? I look up and down the line, the linebackers and the secondary and I see talent. Even the linebacker unit... Kiwi, Boley and Williams. World-beaters? No. Awful? I don't think so.

I guess it comes down to the pass rush. I'm not breaking any news when I say JPP is the only thing we have going for us. I'm not as down on Canty as some but he definitely had a crap game today.

It's time to give up the notion that the front 4 is going to get pressure and and our secondary won't have to play exemplary. This line is NOT getting pressure. Start blitzing. Make the quarterbacks uncomfortable. If you get beat, you get beat. The bottom line is it can't get any worse.

From BBI.

Been wondering myself which one was worse. As bad as it was on 09 we never let shit teams move the ball on us.

Seattle, Washington and Philli (no Vick and Maclin) all moved the ball on easily. I mean Tavaris Jackson, Charlie Whitehurst, Rex Grossman and Vince Young all looking like playmakers!

Fewell has to go. He is worse than the 09 defense and can't change his schemes to fit his players strengths.

The only way i see TC staying if we don't make the playoffs is if we get Spags back in as DC/HC in waiting then he can take over for him in a year when he will be let go/retire.

Time to get hot though, strange things happen once you make the playoffs. Our zone D is getting drilled, we just need to run press man and blitz more and accept the fact that we will giveup a few huge plays. Id rather that than just have teams consistently move the ball and us not stop anything anyway.

Over/Under on TDs for Plax the weekend? Im saying 3+ easily!

Â