The (Still Not Fit For Purpose) EFL Directors Test

Sam-AVFC

With Derby volunteering as the next club to be run into the ground by a shadowy ownership consortium, I'm starting to wonder when on earth the EFL are going to review their current tests. 

For anyone who isn't aware, their new owner is a 29 year old that used to advise Chansiri at Sheff Wednesday. I think I read the money is thought to be from Indonesian investors. He was also thought to have bid for other clubs in the past. 

Looking at Derby you have to wonder where the value is for an investor. They don't own their stadium, have a fairly high wage bill and are right on the edge of FFP. Being cynical, I wonder if they've convinced Mel Morris to hand the stadium back, with it then being sold in a few yeas if they don't get promoted. 

I'd hoped the sad situation with Wigan might have added some urgency to reforms. I'm not sure if anything else was ever reported about the rumoured dodgy gambling on their relegation. 

Thankfully it will be very hard for them to do anything about existing owners so let's hope the jokes at the shite saddle them with a few hundred £mil more in debt before giving up the "project". 

On 08/04/2021 at 14:07, OutByEaster? said:

I can't help but feel that the EFL owner test is probably not a lot more complicated than someone from the EFL sticking their hand out and saying "What have you got for me?"

Isn't it literally just checking that you haven't got a criminal record, and a check of whether you've been barred from owning a company? Also something about proving you have enough funds in a bank account to complete the purchase.

Unless it has changed since Xia took us over, I think that's pretty much all that's required.

Thinking about it, it'll be interesting to see what would happen if Newcastle went down and the Saudi's that were blocked from a takeover in the Premier league were to push it through in the Championship. It'd create a panic amongst the 'big six' another Citeh potentially on the way.

Â