Selecting topic doesn’t take me to first new post

Seat68

Question

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Cache cleared and relogged out/in. Using Safari on ios. 

I am selecting a thread title in off topic and instead of taking me to the first new post, I am took to the top of the last page. 

It is working fine for me. Could you try a different browser?

Can anyone else confirm if they are seeing this?

Not sure if this is known, or affects more than just me... when I get a notification either at the bottom of the screen or from under the bell in the top right corner I click it but it only takes me to the top of the page where the quote or reaction was, not the actual post.

I’ve cleared history and cache (Safari, iPhone X) but issue still remains.

Edited by Genie
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I am selecting a thread title in off topic and instead of taking me to the first new post, I am took to the top of the last page. 

If I go to off topic and select a thread title it takes me to the first post of the thread.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Does it happen with other browsers? I can't reproduce it.

Right. Just tested. It did it on a Mac (High Sierra) with Safari, but not with Chrome.

It also did it on iPhone (latest OS13.6 ) with Safari AND also with google chrome.

So it's not simply the browser and it's not simply the apple OS. Curious.

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

Right. Just tested. It did it on a Mac (High Sierra) with Safari, but not with Chrome.

It also did it on iPhone (latest OS13.6 ) with Safari AND also with google chrome.

So it's not simply the browser and it's not simply the apple OS. Curious.

I've tried in in Linux with Chrome, on Chrome OS and Android with Chrome and it works fine.

Looks like Apple have changed something, but I don't know what, nor whether I can do anything to fix this. The link is correct and points to the page URL with "?do=getNewComment", which is the directive that jumps to the first unread post.

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

I've tried in in Linux with Chrome, on Chrome OS and Android with Chrome and it works fine.

Looks like Apple have changed something, but I don't know what, nor whether I can do anything to fix this. The link is correct and points to the page URL with "?do=getNewComment", which is the directive that jumps to the first unread post.

I've just clicked the notification of your post on my iPhone Safari and it was fine - pointing back to this thread and your post, not the top of this page. So it doesn't always do it in iphone/safari.

Dumb question - why does the link point to ?do=getNewComment, when it's not the first unread post that the notification was of, but of the reply to [my] post, which could have come after the first new post?

One other thing. If the notification is new -as in hasn't been clicked previously, then it works. If I then leave the page, and go back to the notification, it does the "top of the page" thing (safari/Mac). I tried Firefox/Mac and that seemed the same as Chrome/Mac  - it was OK.

41 minutes ago, blandy said:

I've just clicked the notification of your post on my iPhone Safari and it was fine - pointing back to this thread and your post, not the top of this page. So it doesn't always do it in iphone/safari.

Dumb question - why does the link point to ?do=getNewComment, when it's not the first unread post that the notification was of, but of the reply to [my] post, which could have come after the first new post?

That goes on the end of any thread URL to say go to the first unread post. It makes no difference which thread you are viewing. On your computer, hover of the various links and you'll see.

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

edit so to be clear - following the link rightly goes to your post. embedding the link (wrongly) renders the top post in the browser..

Yes, this has always been true as far as I can remember. 

No change here, every notification goes to top of the page where the quote/reaction occurred.

Just tried Firefox on my iPhone and it’s the same so not limited to Safari it seems.

Edited by Genie
21 minutes ago, Genie said:

No change here, every notification goes to top of the page where the quote/reaction occurred.

Just tried Firefox on my iPhone and it’s the same so not limited to Safari it seems.

No, but it does appear limited to Apple's Webkit (browser engine). Hopefully someone affected can confirm that by trying on a non-Apple device. Blandy has confirmed the links are okay, so the site is serving the correct code. Therefore the problem is almost certainly client side.

15 minutes ago, limpid said:

No, but it does appear limited to Apple's Webkit (browser engine). Hopefully someone affected can confirm that by trying on a non-Apple device. Blandy has confirmed the links are okay, so the site is serving the correct code. Therefore the problem is almost certainly client side.

Sure, I’ll check on windows laptop in a bit 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Sure, I’ll check on windows laptop in a bit 

Funnily enough I clicked the popup notification that you’d like this post and I came directly to the post (not the top of the page). 
All my old notifications go to top of the page, the notification that limpid quoted me and the other that he liked my post go directly to the post. Weird.

Edited by Genie