Baseball

ianrobo1

Can someone who knows the rules of baseball pretty well answer a question for me?

I noticed this happen from both Yankees and Angels last night where the pitcher just threw a very soft pitch not aiming at the batsman where the catcher stood a yard left out of his area to catch, and this went on for 4 pitches then the batsman just strolled to first base, what the hell is all that about?

It's called an intentional walk and is done for strategic purposes. For example, if the batter that follows is weaker than the one at the plate, the manager might decide to intentionally walk the batter to get to the next hitter. There's a whole load of variables and considerations that go into the decision, which I'm too lazy to explain now, but I'm sure Levi can provide a more detailed explanation, hyperlinks, etc.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just don't like Philadelphia, don't you...

Philadelphians and New Englanders get along pretty well, what with the common enemy and all that.

I liked Allen Iverson.. that's about as much of Philly-love you'll get from me. :lol:

A generalisation, I know, but I've heard alot of bad stories about the people of Philly, especially at Eagles games, attacking and spitting on opposition support and such. Must be horrible, with no segregation and all.

(the rowdiest part of the Vet)

(note the stewards watching bored as the visiting fans get berated and have bottles thrown at them)

(there is no equivalent to the 700 level at the new Philly stadia, for the record).

taking one for the team at Fenway (getting ejected from the ground for pouring your beer on Yankee fans) deserves a standing ovation

Just hypothesizing, but:

* women tend to have a slightly lower alcohol tolerance than men (and given that the prices for beer at most stadia encourage large portions (it's not uncommon to see, say, $6 for 12 oz. vs. $7 for 20 oz., and a $10 quart is not unheard of))

* you're more apt to see the ushers/stewards and cops get involved earlier if it's men fighting, perhaps because it means that they might have to call over a female steward/cop

Just hypothesizing, but:

* women tend to have a slightly lower alcohol tolerance than men (and given that the prices for beer at most stadia encourage large portions (it's not uncommon to see, say, $6 for 12 oz. vs. $7 for 20 oz., and a $10 quart is not unheard of))

* you're more apt to see the ushers/stewards and cops get involved earlier if it's men fighting, perhaps because it means that they might have to call over a female steward/cop

You forgot the most important reason: Women think they can get away with it because ... they're women! This is true with most things in life controlled by men (eg, security at sporting events).

Ended 10-1 in the end.

CC has been phenomenal so far this post season.

Add A-Rod's newfound post-season brilliance and a generally very sound line up and bullpen, and the Bombers are looking very strong for the World Series. If on top of that, Teixera and Swisher can get their bats going again and AJ Burnett's effectiveness continues to outweigh his lack of control we'll be unstoppable.

Ended 10-1 in the end.

CC has been phenomenal so far this post season.

Add A-Rod's newfound post-season brilliance and a generally very sound line up and bullpen, and the Bombers are looking very strong for the World Series. If on top of that, Teixera and Swisher can get their bats going again and AJ Burnett's effectiveness continues to outweigh his lack of control we'll be unstoppable.

And if Rivera keeps using a shiny ball, you'll win it all..... :winkold:

Phillies return to the World Series. They made the Dodgers look like they shouldn't even be in post-season. I'm annoyed, 5am for this? Thankyou Los Angeles, you're making it a nightmare World Series for Mets fans. I hate baseball.

Â