Aston Villa Women

mikeyp102

Maybe not so much now because of recency bias, but we've already got someone who's seen as one of the top managers in women's football, she got Sheffield United to their highest ever position, she performed an absolute miracle in keeping small heath up, can't be emphasized enough how much of an achievement that was with the mess they were in, for some games they only had one sub available, because of that was being linked to Arsenal and Man Utd, and when she came to us it was seen as a big coup, then with us she established us in midtable, the following season led us to our highest ever finish, and took us further than we'ver been in the cups, and this was all whist playing brilliant attacking football football - I don't know why but some seem to have this strange idea that she plays typical old school British football, as if she's some sort of equivalent to Steve Bruce, we're nothing like that, the comparisons to Gerrard are nonsensical too, both in terms of achievement, and the style of play, she was nominated for manager of the numerous times and won it on two or three occassions, she was then nominated for manager of the season, if any of the top four had have changed manager in the summer then Ward would have been linked with that job, in fact if we end up having an half decent season, that will become a concern again.

And I know it might seem strange to talk of Ward being linked to Arsenal and Man Utd, her being a coup for us despite having only managed Sheffield United and small heath, and the possibility of her being in contention for other big jobs if she gets us back on track, but I think big mistake people make is comparing women's football to men's football, as there is a completely different dynamic, both on and off the pitch, with managers for example in mens football there are so much more options, for the simple fact in mens football there are more leagues, and clubs operating at a top level and over a longer period of time, with all that comes more top managers to choose from, both in and out of work, whereas with women's football there aren't nearly as many top clubs or top leagues, so there are way less options to choose from in terms of managers that have got experience at the kind of level we operate in, women's football is still very early in it's development, over time as it produces more players, more money is invested, and more of those players move into management then things will change, not saying it would be impossble to get a top manager of course, just that doing so is a different scenario to men's football, like in women's football there will be no equivalent to Emery who isn't already managing one of the top teams in Europe for example.

• Confused 1

On 03/11/2023 at 12:37, useless said:

Rachel Maltby has been named in the England U17 squad for the Euro Qualifiers,..

We've got a few in the current England U15 squad, including Freya Hirons, another we took from Leicester academy

Maltby started today in England's 6-0 win against Northern Ireland, last squad she was listed as a forward, this time she's been listed as a defender, so not sure of her position, maybe an attacking fullback that can play on the wing.

Hirons scored four and assisted another in England U15s 10-1 win against Wales

Good interview with Rachel Daly, she always speaks well, you can tell she cares and has a lot of heart

I'm still expecting us to have a good November, and am actually looking forward to the coming games

22 hours ago, villan95 said:

Not villa related but announced Hayes is leaving Chelsea end of the season to pursues opportunities outside the WSL

yep. pretty much confirmed by sources over here in the states that she is going to become the USWNT manager. Will apparently share Chelsea/USWNT duties until the end of season

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

yep. pretty much confirmed by sources over here in the states that she is going to become the USWNT manager. Will apparently share Chelsea/USWNT duties until the end of season

Imagine she beats England in a WC final or something 

Good to see Leat and McCloughlin get starts, which under normal circumstances would have been expected, but with this game taking on even more importance I did wonder if we might go with a strong a team as possible, would be nice to see Georgia Mullett get some game time off the bench too, and Dali obviously, I guess Magill must be injured, Poor's there with the squad but presumably still in rehab, not sure what's happened to Megan Shaw, I think she must be injured too, U21s did have a game today, some that might have been bench fillers will have played in that

Game is on VillaTV but need either a monthly or year subscription for that

They've made six changes to their starting eleven from the team they put out at the weekend , I don't know if that makes them weaker or not, our former player Isobel Goodwin going to be a threat, she was with our squad recently on day out, so still close with the players, other former players Sophie Haywood and Jodie Hutton on their bench.

It's hard to judge these Conti Cup games against Championship opposition, last season they were quite close, and Durham in our group managed to beat Man Utd, albeit on penalites, in our first season after promotion when the squad was much much weaker than it is now we put nine past Coventry United and seven past Sunderland.

We really should be winning, but could be a lot of nerves, first going to be important, hopefully we can get an early one

4-0 at halftime, Salmon with our fourth, she's playing really well too, should have scored another towards the end, we could have scored another four as a team. With the scoreline as it is hopefully gives us a chance to give Mullett some minutes second half, looking forward to seeing her play, won't get a better chance than this.

Leat saves a penalty from Jodie Hutton, which was last kick off the game, important save as well as would have been a massive shame not to get a cleansheet, I couldn't acually tell why the penalty had been given in the first place.

Good performance by us, should have scored many more first half, second half was a little quieter as we controlled the game and slowed things down, Georgia Mullet did well came close to scoring, showed some nice touches and good pressing, Dali and Hanson looked really good when they come on, as in probably the best two players on the pitch, was very impressed with McCloughlin.

Hopefully we can take some confidence from this now into the league

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our U21s beat Southampton 6-2 yesterday, Ruby Rae-Tucker, who made our first team bench a few times last season, made her first appearance since getting injured in pre-game warm up England at U17 Euros,

Rachel Malby started again for England U17s in their 8-0 win over Hungary, I think she's an attacking left-back, got seven assists and two goals in thirteen appearances for our 21s last season

Freya Hirons scored seven goals and got three assists in three games, four against Wales, one against Greece, and two against Norway in the final, as England U15s won their tournament, we had six players in the squad, another one of whom also scored in the final, she played for Poland in September, so must be dual qualified

Such an important game tomorrow, I'm actually quite nervoous about our chances, which is strange as at the start of the season whilst there are no guarantees I would have been quite confident of not just a win but a decent scoreline too, as on paper probably our easiest game of the season taking into account how much better our form away from Bescot is

But after our start and Bristol City getting a confidence boosting win last weekend, now suddenly the fixture doesn't look as 'easy', to be fair I watched the last twenty minutes of Bristol City's win over West Ham, and they didn't actually look very good, reminded me of watching us in our first season after promotion, if we play anywere near what we're capable of then we should win.

Hopefully the big win and good performance against Sheffield United will have helped our players confidence, if we can get Hanson, Dali, and Daly back on the pitch together that should be a big help too, presuming Hanson starts, then one of Salmon or Leon going to have to miss out, which will be a shame for them, as both were excellent against Sheffield United, maybe leaving Salmon on the bench and bringing her on against tired legs will be a tactic, Leon got three assists and won a penalty in the week so would be harsh to drop her.

Salmon gives us the lead at last, we haven't been brilliant, I think you can tell we're nervy, but we've been the better team. Edit: BBC giving it as an own goal.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Â