Cyprus (with a car)

AVFCDAN

I'll be on holiday in Cyprus from 20th to 27th May, staying in Protaras for 5 days then travelling to Limasol for the last 2. We're going to have a car for the duration so just wondering if there is anything worth seeking out? Particularly for more obscure places really  that the typical tourist bus wont go to.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'll be on holiday in Cyprus from 20th to 27th May, staying in Protaras for 5 days then travelling to Limasol for the last 2. We're going to have a car for the duration so just wondering if there is anything worth seeking out? Particularly for more obscure places really  that the typical tourist bus wont go to.

Thanks in advance

@tonyh29 did you get my PM I sent btw was a while back

Dan sure I am happy to help you out. You have chosen to great places.

Protaras is very nice some of the best beaches in Cyprus. Ensure you go fig tree bay for the beach its amazing. There are lots nice bars to see and ayia maps isnt far (Mays a nice time to go) there is also a good water park there.

Limassol is where my parents live. There is a mall there which is nice for a coffee. You must go to the new marina there its amazing. Really nice and modern lovely to walk around and plenty of nice places to eat. There is also a water park there called fasouri definitely go if your into it as the park wont be that busy in may.

Be warned limassol beaches are not the best. They are ok but not great so be warned.

Outside of those two places go do troodos mountains its nice up there.  I'd also recomend the blue lagoon boat tour. The sea at that lagoon is absolutely stunning. 

Mays a great time to go it gets really warm like 30-31c. Any other advice let me know.

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Protaras is very nice some of the best beaches in Cyprus. Ensure you go fig tree bay for the beach its amazing. There are lots nice bars to see and ayia maps isnt far (Mays a nice time to go) there is also a good water park there.

Limassol is where my parents live. There is a mall there which is nice for a coffee. You must go to the new marina there its amazing. Really nice and modern lovely to walk around and plenty of nice places to eat. There is also a water park there called fasouri definitely go if your into it as the park wont be that busy in may.

Be warned limassol beaches are not the best. They are ok but not great so be warned.

Outside of those two places go do troodos mountains its nice up there.  I'd also recomend the blue lagoon boat tour. The sea at that lagoon is absolutely stunning. 

Mays a great time to go it gets really warm like 30-31c. Any other advice let me know.

Thanks! That's a good start.

Do the mountains have places to stop and get food/have a drink or is it drive up, have a look around and then back down again?

Fig tree bay I have heard of so that's definitely on the cards. Sounds like boat tour could be a good option, I'm not sure if we will have time for water parks to be honest but good to know that's an option.

What about entertainment around Protaras,  we're not really looking for the madness of Ayia Napa so pubs and bars is what we are looking for really. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

yeah got it thanks , meant to reply to you but just got bogged down elsewhere  ...

We booked  villa in Larnaca as it seemed to tick a few boxes for us and exploring the island  .... hopefully it's a good choice

Used to go to Cyprus when I had a different job. Paphos always seemed nice for a day out, there were some old roman ruins, too at a place called something like Kourion, and a cafe up a hill looking down over Aphrodites love-bridge thing (all in addition to what Dem and Tony have said).

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

Thanks! That's a good start.

Do the mountains have places to stop and get food/have a drink or is it drive up, have a look around and then back down again?

Fig tree bay I have heard of so that's definitely on the cards. Sounds like boat tour could be a good option, I'm not sure if we will have time for water parks to be honest but good to know that's an option.

What about entertainment around Protaras,  we're not really looking for the madness of Ayia Napa so pubs and bars is what we are looking for really. 

Troodos mountains have food places the higher you get. You can really get some breath taking views as well. Be warned though it's bloody cold up there !

Protaras is great for bars . There are tonnes there mate. If villa get to the play off final there is loads of bars. It's easy to get around and very safe. They usually have karoke bars and performers in diffeent bands. There is some fantastic  restaurants there as well.

If you like smaller beaches there is also kounnos beach which is near Grecian bay hotel. Lovely beach.  But you would need to drive there. Fig tree bay though is definitely a must.

20 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah got it thanks , meant to reply to you but just got bogged down elsewhere  ...

We booked  villa in Larnaca as it seemed to tick a few boxes for us and exploring the island  .... hopefully it's a good choice

Good choice tone in terms of geographic.  Where is the villa? Is it bear finikoues or Mackenzie? (The main town centres of larnaca)

I'm suprised you have never been before considering your history!!

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Good choice tone in terms of geographic.  Where is the villa? Is it bear finikoues or Mackenzie? (The main town centres of larnaca)

I'm surprised you have never been before considering your history!!

nearly went there a few years back but opted for Malta instead as it was more convenient for the rest of the trip

I've got one eye on nipping over to Beirut whilst i'm there , I've been to Lebanon before but not Beirut so i'd be interested to see it  ..Mrs H didn't look too impressed when i tested the water to see if I could disappear for a day :)

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Is that the tour from Latchi around the Akamas Peninsular?  If so then totally agree, and Polis is nice enough for a pleasant day sitting in the beachside bars and restaurants.

Edited by Sid4ever
Spelling
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sid4ever said:

Is that the tour from Latchi around the Akamas Penisular?  If so then totally agree, and Polis is nice enough for a pleasant day sitting in the beachside bars and restaurants.

Yes thats the one. It's lovely day out. @AVFCDAN you are better off doing blue lagoon frim limassol as its close to paphos which isn't a long drive from there.

Â