Getting to Villa Park

Czechlad

How long does it approximately take to get from Birmingham airport to Villa Park?

I am looking at a flight that gets into Birmingham at 12:10 on september 23rd. I would be flying with flybe from Prague so not a very long flight. Kickoff for our match that day is at 15:00 so I would have a little less than 3 hours to get from the airport to VP. Although I would need to get a hotel probably somewhere downtown to drop off my bags, and then jump on the tube to VP. 

Is this do-able or am I cutting it way too close? 

its about 10 to 15 mins by train from B'Ham international (the airport )to New Street , depends where your hotel is in relation to New Street 

Then  a short train ride out to Aston or jump a cab from your hotel 

I reckon you'll be fine but it t will depend on the punctuality of the airline 

I'd say it'd be close, but definitely do able. As tony says the train from International to New Street is quick, and regular. It would just depend how long it takes you to get off the plane and through passport control etc.

Then it would depend how close your hotel is to new street. Again as Tony suggested, a cab may be a better option than getting back to the train station.

That being said, if you were on a train from new street to Witton by 2:30 from New Street you'll make kickoff fairly comfortably. Don't go looking for a tube though, might take you a while ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Czechlad said:

How long does it approximately take to get from Birmingham airport to Villa Park?

I am looking at a flight that gets into Birmingham at 12:10 on september 23rd. I would be flying with flybe from Prague so not a very long flight. Kickoff for our match that day is at 15:00 so I would have a little less than 3 hours to get from the airport to VP. Although I would need to get a hotel probably somewhere downtown to drop off my bags, and then jump on the tube to VP. 

Is this do-able or am I cutting it way too close? 

Check that it won't be moved for sky mate. 

I think they have only scheduled to September 9th so far in Championship.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Any idea when I could find that out? My fiancee is getting restless with us not booking our flights and accommodations yet. 

I'd book at the premiere inn at Marston green, a short taxi ride from BHX, don't use the Novotel on site, absolute rip off (~£80 a night). I'd suggest meeting up with some people from here in Brum and make your way to VP with them Czechlad, far more enjoyable than blindly catching trains lol. Hope you have a cracking day anyway pal. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Any idea when I could find that out? My fiancee is getting restless with us not booking our flights and accommodations yet. 

I'm not sure when they announce the next batch of live fixtures mate but just keep googling live championship games on sky. 

iirc didn't last seasons Forest home game get moved to the 5.30pm game?

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Forest at home as well as Derby home to Blues so there's a chance the old bill will demand a time change, the Sheffield derby that day will more than likely be moved to the early slot as well, leaving the evening slot to us or the shit I'd imagine.

14 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I think sky have to give so many weeks notice so you should know by August - I wouldn't book yet if I were you just in case the game is moved although if they moved it to 5-30 you would be laughing - as for 3 o clock you should still be comfortable but I'd book a hotel like travelogde close to new st and fairly cheap and then get a cab to the ground if pushed for time - if everything runs on time though you should be fine .

trains to new st are about every 10 or 15 minutes and it's about 12 minute journey - drop your bags into hotel and you should have plenty of time to get to villa park for 2-30

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Forest at home as well as Derby home to Blues so there's a chance the old bill will demand a time change, the Sheffield derby that day will more than likely be moved to the early slot as well, leaving the evening slot to us or the shit I'd imagine.

I don't see why derby at home to blues would make the police want to change our kick off time but there is a fair chance one would be moved for tv in any case as both Midlands derbies .

rowett v redknapp could tempt sky to pick that one .

Sky early slot is premier league now on Sat so I'd fancy the Sheffield Derby to be noon on Sunday .

Edited by Eastie

2 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Yeah could even be Friday night game. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I'm not sure when they announce the next batch of live fixtures mate but just keep googling live championship games on sky. 

Sunday afternoon I think it was .

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

I do remember the Forest match last season got moved because I actually had tickets for that one as well. 

Does sky typically just move the kickoff to later because that would work well for me, but if it's a full day or so, then I wouldn't be able to attend. I fly to Dublin on the 24th. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

I do remember the Forest match last season got moved because I actually had tickets for that one as well. 

Does sky typically just move the kickoff to later because that would work well for me, but if it's a full day or so, then I wouldn't be able to attend. I fly to Dublin on the 24th. 

Definitely would wait for TV games to be announced before booking - it could be fri , sat or sun. 

Last season forest home was moved to Sunday 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don't see why derby at home to blues would make the police want to change our kick off time but there is a fair chance one would be moved for tv in any case as both Midlands derbies .

Sky early slot is premier league now on Sat so I'd fancy the Sheffield Derby to be noon on Sunday .

iirc didn't sky also show live 5.30pm championship games simultaneously whilst BT sport showed the Saturday premier league 5.30pm?

Just now, Eastie said:

Definitely would wait for TV games to be announced before booking - it could be fri , sat or sun. 

Stupid Sky. I hate having to wait another month to book my travels. 

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I think it's the fact Derby is about a 15 minute train journey so you'll have a bunch of Burberry sock wearers turning up at new street around the same time as our lot. 

Agree that the Rowett v Bagpuss match will be moved to the later kick off.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

iirc didn't sky also show live 5.30pm championship games simultaneously whilst BT sport showed the Saturday premier league 5.30pm?

Yes - Sky have the lunchtime premiership slot on Saturdays , Bt the evening one .

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Hard to say pal, it's one of Fri-Sat-Sun as things stand.

7 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

I think it's the fact Derby is about a 15 minute train journey so you'll have a bunch of Burberry sock wearers turning up at new street around the same time as our lot. 

Agree that the Rowett v Bagpuss match will be moved to the later kick off.

Is that on HS2 ;) it was 40 minutes direct from new street to Derby last time I went last season .

• Like 2

Â