Desert Island VillaTalk

Xela

35 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Record #5 - Dmitri Shostakovich,  Symphony No. 5, 3rd movement (WDR Sinfonienorchester, cond. .
Rudolf Barshai)

The Brilliant one?

Listened to Symphony No. 1 from that box last night.

Brilliant aren't always brilliant, but when they're brilliant, they're brilliant.

24 minutes ago, Xann said:

The Brilliant one?

Listened to Symphony No. 1 from that box last night.

Brilliant aren't always brilliant, but when they're brilliant, they're brilliant.

Exactly so. Bought the complete symphonies box set, new, for a fiver. In Superdrug. 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2018 at 22:05, mjmooney said:

Exactly so. Bought the complete symphonies box set, new, for a fiver. In Superdrug. 

I want the larger Vivaldi box and a couple of the historic Russian sets.

What else was there? Big Superdrug was it?

28 minutes ago, Xann said:

I want the larger Vivaldi box and a couple of the historic Russian sets.

What else was there? Big Superdrug was it?

Oh, it was years ago. A small branch in central Bradford. Never saw them sell CDs before or since, so no idea how it came about. I got a complete Wagner Ring Cycle (live recordings) for a similar price. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Thanks 1

The Vivaldi box is supposedly stunning. New recordings too - The Brilliant Mozart and Bach complete works boxes were compiled with a stroke of a pen, with recordings licensed from other labels.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Music:
Various ‎– Compendium International 2001 Bourges
Hanne Darboven - Requiem
Bernard Parmegiani ‎– L'Œuvre Musicale En 12 CD
Books:
Robert Musil - The Man Without Qualities
Herman Melville - Moby-Dick; or, The Whale
Tove Jansson - Moomins
Television:
Twin Peaks: From A to Z
Film:
Stan Brakhage - An Anthology
Mulholland Dr.
Fanny and Alexander the complete version
Entertainment:
Ice Skates

At first I thought I'd be on the island for the rest of my life, but when I realised it was just for a year I changed all my book choices to ones that I haven't read yet, and changed two of the albums to ones that I want to hear but haven't been able to. The films and television remain the same, except for the Brakage which I've only partially seen, originally that was going to be Kiki's Delivery service, but I can watch that again when I get back. Entertainment I wasn't sure, I've always been scared of the ice, so Ice Skates if I can learn how to use them should boost my confidence.

Â