Daydream Nation - Man City Away Report

blandy

First things first - anyone reading this before the match "highlights" come on the telly - don't bother staying up for Match of The Day - get some kip instead.

That said, I suppose I'd better make a few jottings to explain why, and what went on, or didn't.

I must admit that until arriving in Manchester, or shortly before, I was under the (false) impression that it was a 2 pm kick off. Checking my ticket I was a bit surprised to find out it was actually a 4pm game. That's the problem, really (not my general numb-brainedness) you just can't settle into any kind of routine. TV has done for us match going fans. Perhaps today was a bit of revenge. Up yours, Sky!.

Before that though, I should mention that arriving at 11:15 for a 4 pm kick off does at least allow for plenty of pre-match refreshment time. And so it was that Bicks and myself, and later Scott and his mate from Leicester were able to chatter and sup in the centre of Manchester, before getting the bus up to the COMS.

By now, feeling more than a bit peckish after all that beer, we scoffed down some hearty northern pies, pasties and hot-dogs and took our seats. The ground was far from full, and far from noisy. In fact it was soporific and unexpectant. Yawning gaps in the stands, yawning fans in the occupied seats.

45 minutes of football took place, in which almost precisely nothing happened. Scott Carson made a good save, City cleared a couple of shots off, or not far off, the line. But it was dull, sterile, tedious and uninspiring. Both sets of fans, normally pretty noisy, were barely able to rouse so much as a murmur.

Half time. Relief.

But within minutes of the restart, the promising Alan Johnson, for City, ran past Nigel Reo-Coker, kept on going, and finished very well.

Rain. You could see the clouds gathering before the rain came, big, black, monolithic beasts, hanging in the Sky. I guess they got bored, too, and decided to dump their contents as a sign of their discontent, or maybe they just do that anyway.

With the worsening weather, there was some increase, though not much, in the atmosphere, and some increase, though not much, in the tempo of the game.

Carew was replaced by Maloney, with wee Shaun going wide and Gabby into the middle. Later Bouma, who had been decent, was replaced by Petrov, and Reo-Coker, who had been poor, was replaced by Gardner. Barry went to left back.

It didn't really make much difference.

As we pushed further and further forwards to try, rather rubbishly, to get an equaliser, City had some half chances on the break, and they almost got a second, but Barry running back, cleared off the line after their man had gone round Carson.

To be honest, I'm struggling to write this. The antisceptic, nature of the game and the day has just about done for me. The trains ran on time, nothing to moan about, but I do feel the players, and manager will regret that they didn't give it the full gun, as BFR might say. One step forward, one step back.

Some marks

Scott Carson - 7. One good save, some good distribution, too.

Olly - 6. OK

Bouma 7. He was good and unlucky to be subbed, I felt. (Craig Gardner 5)

Martin Laursen 6 - OK

Zat Knight - 6. OK, too.

Gabby - 6

Nigel Reo-Coker 4. Disappointing. he's either very good or poor. Nowhere in between, it seems. (Petrov 6)

Gareth Barry-7 our best player, again, but he needed his team mates to give a bit more, today.

Ashley Young - 5. Not so effective today.

Big John - 5. Mostly harmless. (Shaun 5 - didn't get enough ball)

Luke - 5. Likewise. Worked tirelessly though, which is something he hasn't always done.

But within minutes of the restart, the promising Alan Johnson, for City, ran past Nigel Reo-Coker, kept on going, and finished very well.

good to see he's now fully recovered from his kidnapping ordeal Pete! :winkold: :)

That Michael Johnson's not a bad player for Citeh either. :)

Who's this Alan Johnson character that you mention?

that bird has already flown mate! :winkold: :

good to see he's now fully recovered from his kidnapping ordeal Pete! :winkold: :)

Yeah, yeah! I 'fess up, sorry. :oops:

Well at least you had some pies.

I often dream of those pies for when I make it over for a match again. I also need to check the beer/ale thread again to read about what your lot are drinking.

And pasties, what are those?

And, lastly, for some reason I thought the first half was more lively than the second? Couldn't believe we didn't have the finishing touch on any of what went on?

Â