America Trip Advice

steve1986

Hey all,

I am going to America for 3 weeks in August, I was wondering if people could give me some hints and tips on things they have done and enjoyed.

I am going to Las Vegas (including a night at the Grand Caynon)

San Diego 

LA

San Francisco

New York

Thanks everyone, hopefully the football back here won't depress me whilst I am away...and I will of course keep an eye out for Randy 

Yeah the Pacific Coast highway is great, though last time I did it some of it was closed and we had to take the shit-scariest detour I've ever been on.  We stayed overnight in Cambria and Monterrey if I remember right to break it up.  San Diego I got heatstroke at Sea World and puked down my clothes and had to spend the entire journey back to LA in my underpants.  San Fran is my favourite, Alcatraz is a must and a trip to Yosemite is worth a (long) day out.  LA was a bit of a dump and took ages to get anywhere.

For LA, I'd pick an area ahead of time and just stay there, because the city sprawls on forever and transport sucks. Go to Santa Monica, you'll have the beach, and plenty of nightlife.

Second that for Santa Monica, one of my favourite places, great bars, great shopping and as LA doesnt really have a city centre its maybe the best option. The best western gateway is walking distance to downtown SM, good for buses into LA, fairly affordable too.

Â