Flaky site

blandy

Question

The site is playing up - posting posts multiple times with just one "OK". I know there's been problems all day on and off.

Also after posting into a topic it doesn't load the page.

Also profile screwed up - error -200 on trying to fix profile pic via various upload methods

Note: cleared browser's cache and cookies and tested using safari & firefox on 2 different Mac OS computers

Screen shot 2015-12-23 at 19.26.02.jp2

19 answers to this question

I've not had an error from the site since about 16:00. If you've had them since, and if it's only you, then I don't think this is related to the problems earlier. (Sorry)

PS. The site doesn't handle jp2 files as images so I can't see your screenshot.

11 hours ago, limpid said:

I've not had an error from the site since about 16:00. If you've had them since, and if it's only you, then I don't think this is related to the problems earlier. (Sorry)

PS. The site doesn't handle jp2 files as images so I can't see your screenshot.

It wasn't only me. I spent ages tidying duplicate posts from others. Re the jp2, I tried to upload a jpeg as an edit and got an error message, so I sent it by email.

Is it still happening? I don't understand how people were making duplicate posts. I guess they got a blank page and pressed refresh thereby submitting it again. If so there's nothing that can stop this if the page load fails.

I can't get a scope for the problem if you've already tidied it up. This is why we need people to report problems. How many posters do you think it affected and were others posting okay at the same time (eg. sarcastic responses)?

Not happening today. Multiple people made dupe posts, including me. My experience was sometimes page didn't load and so re  doing made the dupe, but also definitely just a standard, normal entry appeared twice. Looking at other people's posts I suspect the same happened for them. Yes there were sarcastic responses.

I'm unconvinced that reporting say 30 duplicate posts would have helped and it would also have been more work at a time when the site was already being flaky and causing problems.

I guess 10+ posters affected 

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

I'm unconvinced that reporting say 30 duplicate posts would have helped and it would also have been more work at a time when the site was already being flaky and causing problems.

I agree, but there were no reports at all. I don't expect a report for every dupe, but a report of one of them so that we can tidy up is enough.

Weird that it affected so few posters. There was a real problem on the site but only a few seem to have had dupes. Odd. It can't be fixed permanently without more to go on.

Mine happened when I tried to post and got a complicated error message - couldn't copy it, and there was no way I was going to write it down until and unless it turned out to be a serious jobstopper. I assumed it was a problem with my phone rather than the site. Anyway, I tried again - same message. So I copied my post, came out of Tapatalk, went back in, pasted and sent - then saw that all three attempts had in fact worked, so I edited the last two with 'duplicate post'. Problem didn't recur.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

I agree, but there were no reports at all. I don't expect a report for every dupe, but a report of one of them so that we can tidy up is enough.

Weird that it affected so few posters. There was a real problem on the site but only a few seem to have had dupes. Odd. It can't be fixed permanently without more to go on.

Sure, understood. Re the more to go on, that's why I did what I could to provide info.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Mine happened when I tried to post and got a complicated error message - couldn't copy it, and there was no way I was going to write it down until and unless it turned out to be a serious jobstopper. I assumed it was a problem with my phone rather than the site. Anyway, I tried again - same message. So I copied my post, came out of Tapatalk, went back in, pasted and sent - then saw that all three attempts had in fact worked, so I edited the last two with 'duplicate post'. Problem didn't recur.

Please report these kind of things. Just once on one or the other duplicate.

Also, screenshotting is ridiculously easy on most phones.

On 24/12/2015 at 14:09, blandy said:

Screenshotting is. I'm not sure attaching the screenshot is quite as simple, though

On Android they just appear in Google Photos ready for sharing or downloading. I assumed it was as simple on iOS :) 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, limpid said:

On Android they just appear in Google Photos ready for sharing or downloading. I assumed it was as simple on iOS :) 

I've just learnt something about the site. It's a piece of cake if the photo or screenshot is smaller than 2 MB, which I guess screenshots  will be. It wasn't the OS I was wondering about, but the mobile version of the site/ tapatalk.

image.png

Please report these kind of things. Just once on one or the other duplicate.

Also, screenshotting is ridiculously easy on most phones.

Yeah, it is. I forgot about that, sorry.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, blandy said:

I've just learnt something about the site. It's a piece of cake if the photo or screenshot is smaller than 2 MB, which I guess screenshots  will be. It wasn't the OS I was wondering about, but the mobile version of the site/ tapatalk.

There hasn't been a mobile version of the site for a long time. There is just the site and it dynamically changes the content based on the width of the user's screen. I don't know what you mean about it being different.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

There is just the site and it dynamically changes the content based on the width of the user's screen. I don't know what you mean about it being different.

Like in the picture - I have no idea how to post a screenshot using the Tapatalk version of the site.

IMG_2525.jpg