Dortmund

Wainy316

What is it like as a city?

Heading over for a game in Feb and wondering if I should just go for the match and use somewhere like Köln or Düsseldorf as a base or is the city of Dortmund itself worth spending time in?

Can't find much info online and my German mates seemed a bit meh about it.

Koln and Dusseldorf are very close like you said and well worth using as a base. Koln is beautiful as is Dusseldorf but we found the latter had the better night life.

I think the highlights in Dortmund are the German Cookery Book Museum. In all seriousness though its not a particualry interesting city. Some nice small pubs etc but nothing special. 

Any more questions let me know. I've done exactly the same trip and stayed a night in a 3 cities.

Edited by sexbelowsound

I go and watch Schalke a few times a year and we usually stay in Dusseldorf, but we prefer Cologne. Cologne is more expensive an option, but you can get some good deals and travel around is cheap. In terms of nightlife, Dusseldorf is very central and there is one main strip, but in terms of beers Cologne has its own type of lager (Kolsch) and lots of the bars do their own type so thats a good night out on a beer tour of the city. Either way you will be sorted for evening activities after the football, although I do hope Dortmund lose ;)

Which game weekend are you going on? 

Oh. Be warey of drinking the black beer that the barmaids bring around in half pints. 

I ended up looking like Mesut Ozil the next morning!

Cautionary tale for anyone !

• Like 1

Cheers lads [emoji106]

I'll prob go for one of them two then, looks like Düsseldorf and Koln are both at home too so depending on timings might be able to get 2 games in.

although I do hope Dortmund lose [emoji6]

Which game weekend are you going on? 

I hope they lose too, I'll be in the away end with Hannover [emoji4]

It's the weekend of 13th/14th Feb.

On 12/12/2015 at 14:45, Wainy316 said:

Cheers lads emoji106.png

I'll prob go for one of them two then, looks like Düsseldorf and Koln are both at home too so depending on timings might be able to get 2 games in.

I hope they lose too, I'll be in the away end with Hannover emoji4.png

It's a shame you're not going the previous weekend when it is Koeln Karneval!

I'd recommend Koeln over Duesseldorf (lived on the outskirts of the latter for 9 months a few years ago).

• 1 month later...

Got this next week, not actually staying in Dortmund.

Friday night Dusseldorf then off to Dortmund the following day to meet the Hannover lot for pre match beers.

Following the game we will travel to Aachen for a night there, sounds like a cool old student city and has the spot where Germany, Holland and Belgium meet.  On Sunday we'll be going to watch Alemannia Aachen play then back to Dusseldorf for a 9pm flight out.  Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

On 12 December 2015 at 14:45, Wainy316 said:

Cheers lads emoji106.png

I hope they lose too, I'll be in the away end with Hannover emoji4.png

and who are the away team ?

33 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Erm Hannover, did I miss something?

it was a play on " I'll be in the away end with Hangover "   ...

this is why Jimmy Carr is on TV and I'm not I guess

• 2 weeks later...
Â