Wireless Charging

Eames

This might be a daft question - does wireless charging have a range? Or does the device have to be in contact with the charging pad?

I've owned six different QI chargers. They all required contact, sometimes quite precisely aligned.

This might be a daft question - does wireless charging have a range? Or does the device have to be in contact with the charging pad?

I've owned six different QI chargers. They all required contact, sometimes quite precisely aligned.
Am I missing the point of this technology then? I can see in the office a wireless charger removes the tiny inconvenience of being wired to a socket but for most whom I suspect charge phones overnight in struggling to see the merits.

Am I missing the point of this technology then? I can see in the office a wireless charger removes the tiny inconvenience of being wired to a socket but for most whom I suspect charge phones overnight in struggling to see the merits.

I think as more manufacturers go the Sony route with 2 day batteries that the tech will fade away. I was hoping we'd see peripherals using it by now so you could drop your phone and any bluetooth gear / other low power devices (car keys) on a charging pad without any messing.

I always assumed wireless charging was the future. Not just for phones, but for everything.

So in 10 years (or whatever) new appliances won't have power cords. Everything will be powered wirelessly.

So whereas the current wireless chargers aren't much of an advantage, it's just the beginning of the technology.

Or is that too far fetched of an idea?

Edit: apologies. Strayed off topic

Edited by Stevo985

I think the point where I can sit on my sofa and wirelessly charge my stuff via WiFi is the point I get interested in the technology.

Anything until that point it's simply not functional enough to be useful.

It doesn't have to be in contact. It has to be pretty close though to get enough EMF over the space.

Plugging and unplugging a device once or more a day is a pain and leads to ports being broken and replacement chargers etc. Not to mention it's a bit fiddly getting it in the hole.

I have a QI charger on my desk at work. Instead of the phone just laying there, it's laying there being charged all the time. The point is, it's charging without you having to doing anything but put it down.

Â