Bermuda

maqroll

Anyone been? I've got a hotel picked out that will suit my needs. I plan on doing mostly nothing (lying on the beach, poolside, reading, etc.) But I do want to rent a scooter and see the island as well.

Any decent daytime sights worth checking out?

Also, I'm assuming any nightlife happens in Hamilton. Any good bars/restaurants you'd recommend? 

Any other tips appreciated  :)

Bermuda is one I've looked at a few times but never actually pushed the button ... ( October Half term the water is a little cold for the kiddies )

from my brief research though there is something called Harbour (or  Harbor to you :P) nights every Wednesday that looks like good fun  , street party sort of thing + markets and music

Bermuda is one I've looked at a few times but never actually pushed the button ... ( October Half term the water is a little cold for the kiddies )

from my brief research though there is something called Harbour (or  Harbor to you :P) nights every Wednesday that looks like good fun  , street party sort of thing + markets and music

I went there in an October, and the water was fine. Stayed at Grotto Bay. Lovely.

I went there in an October, and the water was fine. Stayed at Grotto Bay. Lovely.

That's the resort I was looking at as it had a fair bit for the kids to do  ... did you go swimming / snorkelling in the cave  ?

good to know about the water temp as I was seeing conflicting opinions  :thumb: 

I did Waterski-ing and swimming and snorkelling. You could walk down to the little bay of a morning, when the water was still and crystal clear and look at the shoals of little fish fish swimming about, and then suddenly they would leap out of the water in panic as a shoal of slightly bigger fish chased them to eat them, then in turn, the surface would be broken by a shoal of bigger fish still, leaping after them. There was a floating wooden thingummy moored out in the bay a bit, and you could swim out to it and sit on it.

Don't remember swimming in any caves, but it was a good while ago. I do remember the swimming pool bar and strawberry daquiris. :)

Also remember the white sand, seaweed, MacDonalds!, Dolphin fish sandwiches, the wooden houses peopkle have and the Massive cruise liner in the dock when we went to hamilton. 

There's not as massive amount (or wasn't) of City style nightclubs, and it wasn't as lively as say Barbados, but it was a very nice place to go. And there is stuff to do, especially if you like (don't snigger) watersports and beach life. you can hire bikes n' that as well and pedal about and look at stuff.

Oh yeah, we did a cruise round the islands one evening and then stopped at a fancy restaurant on a hillside overlooking a bay and had our tea outside (a.k.a." Dinner al-fresco") watching  the sun go down, then got on the boat and went back home.

I might have some of the leaflets n' that still I'll have a look when I get home.

• Like 2

No, can't find any trace of the leaflets. Totally failed. Though I did find some old cricket JPL programmes, postcards and letters from a girl I used to know, a guide to the Northern Norwegian Arctic islands, some photos of Iceland and all kinds of other kelter. :(

• Like 1

Thats where im staying actually!

Im dragging myself out of bec at 5 AM tomorrow, so ill have the entire afternoon to hit the beach and pool, etc., same on monday. Sadly rain is forecast for tues and wed, really kind of a bummer, but whatevs.

any cant miss activities or nightlife spots, blandy?

Thats where im staying actually!

Im dragging myself out of bec at 5 AM tomorrow, so ill have the entire afternoon to hit the beach and pool, etc., same on monday. Sadly rain is forecast for tues and wed, really kind of a bummer, but whatevs.

any cant miss activities or nightlife spots, blandy?

Not really, maqroll. We always found something to do, whether it was staying at Grotto Bay. or going to Hamilton, or going for a wander and stopping somewhere. I would recommend the boat trip and restaurant thing, that was really good. You can sort it out from the reception place.

We stopped there on the way back from Florida, which we left because of a massive hurricane being due, so it was kind of short notice and not really planned so much. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

I've still got a t shirt I bought there, and some photos, but like I said earlier it was a good while ago, now, so recommendations would be dated anyway.

Oh and although it's a British Island, it's basically Americanised in a lot of ways, with loads of honeymooning Americans there. I'm sure you'll find a bar with sports telly, no problem.

Edit - now I've looked at the internet, I do remember the caves (doh!). They were good.

Yeah, i saw those they look cool. The hotel abuts a cave i believe, and you can swim to it. I wonder how warm the water is there in feb, the temps dont seem to get much highr than 70F.

Waiting for my flight home now...dreading the 8F temperature. I enjoyed my stay for the most part. My primary mission was achieved. Off season now, so its pretty barren, which made the nightlife a bit lacking. Sticker shock on just about everything too. But very nice place.

• Like 1

Very strange sounding accent in Bermuda. Sounds like a mix of American, English, Caribbean patois and Afrikaans.

Learned that the place was never inhabited before the Spanish dicovered it. Imagine that.

Â