Broadband Deals

Stevo985

Anybody know of any good broadband only deals out there at the moment?

I've taken the decision to ditch sky and just use free view, so I no longer need a TV/phone/internet bundle.

I've used U switch which suggest Virgin offer the best high speed deals. About £40 a month for "upto" 152MB and about 30 quid for upto 100MB

Anyone know of any better ones?

Virgin are absolutely useless if you have a fault.

Other than that it depends on your postcode. I'd love to switch to BT but no fibre to my road. 18mb? No thanks. So stuck with Virgin.

To be fair, their customer service department is brilliant. It's their call out system that's a mess. It's all automated, so if there's a reporterd area wide issue, however minor, they won't come out to your home until it's sorted. Even if your issue is unrelated to the area wide problem. Took me 10 days without internet, 4 automatically cancelled call outs and several heated phone conversations (and 3 days off work) to get a really simple issue sorted.

The engineer was a diamond, but the whole ordeal was a farce. They gave me £50 off. Pft...

Thanks.

I've looked at BT.

Same sort of price for their fastest Broadband but half the speed so I'd be tempted to stick with Virgin if I went for one of the two.

I live about a mile from some of the Virgin Media offices so I'll just send the boys round if they give me any grief ;)

• 1 month later...

I am moving from an area with virgin broadband to an area without.

The options are Sky (I'd rather not give Murdoch the phone hacker any money), BT (My dad has had serious problems with their broadband) or Plusnet.

Does anyone have any experience of Plusnet's service? The review websites seem to hammer all broadband providers, I guess people are more inclined to write a bad review than a good one

PS (sorry donnie)

I moved from Virgin fibre to BT copper and have noticed no change whatsoever in connection speed. 

Am I right in saying that speed becomes totally irrelevant if you are using a wireless router anyway as you are gimped to the speed of the router? 

Â