Alfredo Di Stefano

maqroll

Mr Real Madrid.  It's a shame his prime was before the television era because I truly wish I had the opportunity to see more of one of the game's genuinely great players. 

• Like 3

I remember not even knowing who he was until the day Beckham was unveiled and obviously have only ever seen clips but what a legend, the best ever is impossible to call but he's definitely in that conversation. Second only to Mr Bernabeu as the ultimate Real hero.

RIP

I'd imagine he is above Bernabeu with the fans despite the name of the stadium.  The guy scored in (and won) five European cup finals! 

• Like 1

For another time the rev! But yes you're probably right in that sense.

He's not talked about like Messi, Pele, Ronaldo because we never watched him every week, there tonnes of footage of Pele but in Di Stefano's time there was no tele or there was it wasn't in every home showing his matches. It's easy for our generation to say Messi/Ronaldo are greats (rightly so) because most of us have seen them played literally hundreds and hundreds of times.

To be fair when we talk about the best ever its normally Messi, Pele or Maradona. Rarely have I seen his name come up although he is one of the greats...

Television era, innit?  Pele was the first global superstar because of televised world cups.  Like Elvis and The Beatles, a lot of it was down to the era he was at his peak in.

Very true I think he's held in higher regard at Real than Puskus but Puskus joined Real at the age of 31 and still scored 156 goals in 180 games for Real and when you compare their international records. Puskus 84 goals in 85 games. You can see footage of the 1960 european cup final where Puskus scored 4 and Di Stefano 3 and theres the footage of the Hungaran side thrashing England at Wembley. Both players should be ranked with the greatest of all time...

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Â