Bloodborne

Ginko

Orphan of Kos is great fun, bloody difficult but really enjoyable. In fact the DLC has been by far the most enjoyable content of the game for me, the main game was starting to get a bit tedious but this has really drawn me in again.

And done. Overall I enjoyed it, I found large chunks of the game post-Cathedral Ward a tad tedious and started to lose interest, but Cainhurst (shame it wasn't longer) and the DLC really brought it back for me.

I don't get why it's basically designed to be played with a guide, that's just not how I like to play games. I looked up the Emissary fight after I beat because I beat it first time and felt like I must've missed something, and in doing so discovered how to access Ebriatas, by doing something you can't do anywhere else in the game.. that coupled with how you find Rom made me decide to just break the immersion and start looking stuff up. And ultimately I'm glad I did because it turns out some of the best content in the game is completely missable, entire areas (Cainhurst, Upper Cathedral, Nightmare Frontier, not to mention the entire DLC - thanks @Chindie for the heads up) are missable, and as far as I can tell 8 whole bosses. And that's before you get into the fact that the entire story is basically hidden as well, a lot of the NPC interaction is missable/timed, and most of the weapons are basically only available in NG+ because you get them so late in the game and they're stat restricted. I just don't get it.

The camera can be frustrating but you kinda get used to it, the whole game can be a bit buggy sometimes but again you kinda get used to it, but I'll never stop being annoyed at being hit through walls/floors etc. I also kinda wish there was a food item or some sort of out-of-combat health regen, using vials to top off 5% of your HP can feel wasteful, and going through two loading screens to port to the HD and back for a free regen is tedious, in the end i just gave up and went into fights without being full.

Credit where credit's due though there is some really enjoyable content, the combat is generally well done and there's tonnes of variation, and way the game continually challenges you, forces you to hone your skills, learn new ones, and ultimately turns you into an unrecognisably better player is a great gaming journey. After killing Kos I felt like I was at my gaming peak, I just wanted to shout 'what else?! put something in front of me and I'll beat it'. And of course two minutes later I got my arse handed to me by the two shark headed guys in the next room over.

Favourite bosses: Orphan of Kos, Blood Starved Beast, Ludwig, Lady Maria, Shadows of Yharnam.
Least favourite: Cleric Beast, Micolash.

Not sure what to do now, don't think I enjoyed the main game enough to play through the lot again, but I wouldn't mind trying some of the weapons and playing through the DLC again. DS3 is on sale at the minute as well but I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy the slower playstyle.

Miyazaki, the creative lead on most of the Soulsborne series, enjoys the idea of games that have to be discovered, interpreted etc. So you can miss whole parts of the games on a single playthrough and they are usually impossible to 100% on a single playthrough, and usually include some hidden quests and plotlines that require very specific actions to complete (Bloodborne has an entire ending that is very easily missed, and that's one of the less obscure in the series). 

It's refreshing on some levels, and things like the Souls series have developed whole communities around the uncovering of the lore, which in that series is pretty much told entirely through the world and environment and flavour text. But can be frustrating at times - missing whole sections of a game that might take 30, 40hrs because you missed a minor thing.

Yeah I get that, but it kinda feels like the equivalent of a Rockstar easter egg hunt only hidden behind it is all of New Austin (probably a bad example seen as NA was criminally underused in RDR2). I like a good puzzle or riddle or mystery, I'm all for some exploration, some hidden parkour spots, but it just didn't feel very intuitive in Bloodborne. And for me the middle section of the game could've really done with a decent narrative to pull you through, but I'll admit style-wise the game's not really my thing anyway though and I'm mostly here for the challenge.

Like I said after the Ebriatas breakthrough (cough) I decided to look up at least the boss locations to make sure I got them all as I wasn't sure I'd bother with a second playthrough. So I haven't missed anything, but I'd have preferred to find them on my own, and I can say for certain I'd have missed Ebriatas, Amygdala, Moon Presence, Logarius, and maybe Laurence - I knew he was there but had to look up how to fight him.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bloodborne PSX was a ton of fun.

I can't say too much about it because the creator changed a lot. Some of the changes were to keep it PS1 accurate, while other changes were the creators own creative liberty at play.

That said I am thankful for the changes because if this was a 1:1 recreation just in PS1 visuals I'd have finished it in 30 minutes. Instead because of the changes, the new areas and more it took about 4 hours to see everything. 

I fully advise that people download this if you have a chance. 

Link to the download if anyone is interested; BloodbornePSX by LWMedia (itch.io)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Max plays a randomised Bloodborne mod.

The mod randomises items, enemies, bosses per phase, gem and rune effects... This leads to some very, very, bizarre things - Shadows of Yharnam boss fight turns into Amygdala, the Queen and a Watchdog triple threat fight, Amelia is replaced with Ludwig's first phase, Cleric Beast becomes Blood-starved Beast, Kos phase 2 replaces BSB (which is a complete bastard in that arena), witches of Hemwick becomes a Chalice boss plus Lawrence...

Very fun watch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had a hankering to go back to Bloodborne. I've never platinumed it, I got burnt on one of the Chalice dungeons were you have greatly reduced health and enemies are buffed iirc - and then you have to fight Amygdala. Which is complete horseshit.

I did it finally though. So the platinum might be on.

• Like 2

On 18/12/2023 at 00:11, Chindie said:

I had a hankering to go back to Bloodborne. I've never platinumed it, I got burnt on one of the Chalice dungeons were you have greatly reduced health and enemies are buffed iirc - and then you have to fight Amygdala. Which is complete horseshit.

I did it finally though. So the platinum might be on.

I’ve been getting the same hankering recently however we’re in the process of moving house and have no internet so I can’t re-install it 🙁

The chalice dungeons are all a bit of a blur for me now, I only really remember the watchdog (actually one of my favourite bosses despite the hate it seems to get) and Amygdala, however I don’t remember the Queen herself being overly difficult so it’s probably worth persevering. 

I just looked up that dungeon and I have vague memories of the boss after the one you’re on being a bit of a pain in the arse actually, which probably isn’t what you want to hear.

Not sure what build you’re using but the Pthumerian Descendant is weak to arcane apparently?

Â