Wireless Hub Problems

Xann

Got a Thomson 585v8, fairly nondescript but it's been solid.

Telly's wired in via Cat 6, 1 very occasionally 2 wireless computers and a Kindle have all got along together fine.

Until about 3 months ago. Box keeps crashing, usually when the telly's streaming.

Been thinking of calling Plusnet, but last time it happened the other half's Samsung SIII bleeped as the rove software detected the rebooting hub.

The timing of the problems and the arrival of the phone in the house are close enough to cause suspicion.

Anyone had similar problems?

Yes, almost exactly the same.  We were having the new house rewired so took the opportunity to have Cat 5 put in.  Everything was fine for a while before the router kept dropping off.  We've now had all the other sockets disconnected while we try to find out what the problem is.

Ok, would be interested to know what you find out.

The SIII phone ain't about this weekend. Might stream a film to the telly when I'm in the bath, see if it crashes by bed time.

Ok, would be interested to know what you find out.

The SIII phone ain't about this weekend. Might stream a film to the telly when I'm in the bath, see if it crashes by bed time.

Manx Telecom are blaming the people who put the network in, the network people are blaming Manx Telecom.  I can get wifi in one room at the moment.

You got an old place, thick walls?

Tried Netstumbler or something similar to find dead spots?

My router didn't crash the whole weekend without the Samsung in the house.

Not conclusive, didn't stream that much but the phone is still in the frame.

• 4 weeks later...

Not directly related, but I've had similar problems with different hardware (MacBook Air and Talktalk Huawei router), where as soon as the mac connected the whole wireless network would crash.

tldr - Mac wireless drivers were (and still are) the problem. Solved by buying a decent router.

Sometimes different chipsets don't play nice with each other.

As an addendum, getting the new router massively improved reliability and speeds for everyone.

tldr - Mac wireless drivers were (and still are) the problem. Solved by buying a decent router.

So rather than getting the defective, expensive software fixed, you spent even more money on something else to hide the problem?

I'll never understand Apple users.

• Like 1

How dare you limpid! I'm not the apple user. At all. **** EVAR! It was someone who brought in her own machine. Which didn't have an ethernet port. Seriously, if you're going to make a laptop workout ethernet, at least make sure the wireless is rock solid.

Anyway, you suggesting I write new driver software?

Key thing though is the old router was flaky and this issue was the final nail in its coffin.

How dare you limpid! I'm not the apple user. At all. **** EVAR! It was someone who brought in her own machine. Which didn't have an ethernet port. Seriously, if you're going to make a laptop workout ethernet, at least make sure the wireless is rock solid.

Anyway, you suggesting I write new driver software?

Key thing though is the old router was flaky and this issue was the final nail in its coffin.

:)

No, I'm suggesting that people who buy expensive stuff don't fix it by spending more money on other stuff instead of taking the expensive stuff back and demanding it be made to work.

If the router needed replacing anyway, why mention the Mac? :mrgreen:

Like a vegetarian or somebody who has read the books to Game of Thrones, if a Mac user has the chance to tell you about it, they will. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Â