Audiobooks

Xela

I would say that sitting listening to an audiobook in your car, rather than the same old crap on the radio, is a much better and satisfying use your time and infinitely more pleasurable.

I agree with this, but it rarely happens, as car journeys are reserved for music. 

And there's the rub!

Most people seem to be stuck playing the same tracks they liked when their music taste was set in stone, in their youth.

I just wish they would try something new but it ain't going to happen. :angry: 

Paul Carrack's Living Years and the death of little Nell, are both sentimental, but at least you can have a good laugh at the latter.  :D

That may be true in my case, but it includes tens of thousands of tracks (none of which is The Living Years). 

Hers a question...If you have listened to the audiobook do you claim to have read the book?

Only if it's unabridged. 

You were automatically excluded because I know you have a massive archive at Château Mooney. 

Including, no doubt, nose flute music, Mongolian throat-singing and maybe even some Stockhausen.  ;)

I would say that sitting listening to an audiobook in your car, rather than the same old crap on the radio, is a much better and satisfying use your time and infinitely more pleasurable.

I agree with this, but it rarely happens, as car journeys are reserved for music. 

And there's the rub!

Most people seem to be stuck playing the same tracks they liked when their music taste was set in stone, in their youth.

I just wish they would try something new but it ain't going to happen. :angry: 

Paul Carrack's Living Years and the death of little Nell, are both sentimental, but at least you can have a good laugh at the latter.  :D

That may be true in my case, but it includes tens of thousands of tracks (none of which is The Living Years). 

Hers a question...If you have listened to the audiobook do you claim to have read the book?

Only if it's unabridged. 

You were automatically excluded because I know you have a massive archive at Château Mooney. 

Including, no doubt, nose flute music, Mongolian throat-singing and maybe even some Stockhausen.  ;)

Not quite, but probably almost as varied. 

Alan patridge audio book is brilliant!

It is! The way it is delivered by Coogan in his full Partridge persona adds to the whole experience. I've got both the book and audiobook. I will probably never read the book again but will listen to the audiobook countless more times.

I quite enjoy them, but what annoys me is the vast amount of audiobooks that are abridged.

Agreed. Pointless. I never buy an abridged audiobook. Luckily it seems to have been eradicated for new releases. Its the equivalent of going to the cinema but them not showing the first thirty minutes.

Audiobooks don't count.

Poppycock!  :P

If its unabridged, yes. 

• 9 years later...
On 19/01/2014 at 21:32, useless said:

The only audiobook I ever heard was Ten Days in a Madhouse by Nellie Bly from the librivox website I thought that was quite good the girl reading put a lot of effort into it, doing all the voices and everything. The others I tried listening to though weren't quite as good. I have to read because sometimes I need to go over a things a few times before I understand, especially in non-fiction.

Was going to say this but I've already said it.

Â