XBOX Live on Sky Broadband

smetrov

Virgin are fleecing me with there prices im paying almost £70pm for TV/Calls/Broadband.

I have a comparable quote for sky for £45 - My son is worried about his xbox live - as with virgin its not through the phone line - though the quoted speed is 10-17 MB .....

Anyone using sky unlimited broadband for xbox live - he plays FIFA/COD/GTA ?

If you are in the fortunate position to be able to have either then just tell virgin your sky quote and they will match it. I did exactly the same. Virgin bb is fast but I used sky for 2 years on Xbox live no problem.

• Like 1

If you are in the fortunate position to be able to have either then just tell virgin your sky quote and they will match it. I did exactly the same. Virgin bb is fast but I used sky for 2 years on Xbox live no problem.

Ive done that every year for around 10 years - but it hasn't worked this time. What they are saying is what they are offering is superior to sky - as the BB is up to 30MB. I m not disputing that - but close on £800 per year (TV\Calls\BB) Is OTT ........ My arguement is while it may be better its not £25pm better...

Also the bloke got quite aggressive with me, saying the bundle deal was saving me loads over the individual prices  - and that I was on a very good package. When I said the cost was going up by £8pm - he said it wasn't as £2.50 was a discount that i would no longer receive....and only £5.50 was a price increase........! - Go figure....

Edited by smetrov

I was on 7mb before moving to infinity. Never had a problem with xbox live. My mate also used sky at sub 10mb and his was fine too.

Edited by Daniel

Also worth noting that Virgin are putting their prices up, meaning you are in your rights to cancel - call them up and tell them you're leaving due to the price hike/Sky is cheaper, they'll bring the price down.

Do they really have this in their contracts? It's nothing to do with rights.

Also worth noting that Virgin are putting their prices up, meaning you are in your rights to cancel - call them up and tell them you're leaving due to the price hike/Sky is cheaper, they'll bring the price down.

I am not tied in - so nothing to do with contracts. But in the past virgin have given me a new deal @ say £37pm for 12 months - only to announce a price increase within that 12 months !

Truth is most people don’t require the higher speeds that super-fast BB provides – it’s just all posturing by the providers.

You can happily stream movies and play online for around 10mbps.

Admittedly if you stream live sport via Sky Go for instance, the superfast speeds will make a difference. But most people will watch via their TV anyway rather than stream online.

I had a look the other day and I thought BT provided the best deals for BB, phone, etc

I am not tied in - so nothing to do with contracts. But in the past virgin have given me a new deal @ say £37pm for 12 months - only to announce a price increase within that 12 months !

If the contract says they can do that then it would be your fault for not reading it properly. Most phone contracts allow rate increases.

If the contract says they can do that then it would be your fault for not reading it properly. Most phone contracts allow rate increases.

Yeah it wouldn't be these big corporates trying to mislead the consumer would it.

BT have always had a minimum 1 year contract for phone lines.If there was a price rise during that period, your price went up. It's nothing new. That's why I questioned the post that said that you had the right to get out of Virgin's contract because they increased the price. I'm surprised that Virgin would grant that right and if they do, it's to their credit. I still don't know whether they do.

BT have always had a minimum 1 year contract for phone lines.If there was a price rise during that period, your price went up. It's nothing new. That's why I questioned the post that said that you had the right to get out of Virgin's contract because they increased the price. I'm surprised that Virgin would grant that right and if they do, it's to their credit. I still don't know whether they do.

I am past the 1 year so only have to give 30 days notice - to be fair there haven't been any price increases in that 12 months.

Been with virgin for years - gotta say the broadband is excellent - TV has improved last couple of years - since they stopped withdrawing chanels to try and get you to upgrade. The constant downside of virgin is the very confusing and underhand billing - I always remember one conversation when I wanted to portsmouth v villa one many years ago

VM"You will need to suscribe to sky sports for one month at a cost of £20"

ME: " but i only want it for one month - that will cost me £20"

VM "thats correct sir"

ME "so you will cancel it after 1 month - and I never ever pay more than £20"

VM "absolutley - quite correct"

The bill came through - Sky Sports £90 !

Something about partial month, month in advance, which would be credited back in a months time .....eventually I got my money back....

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#changing

As J3 states, you may cancel your contract if:

"We and/or Virgin Media Payments: a) increase our charges under this agreement"

The terms of this clause being that you may: 

"Cancel those services affected without penalty by giving us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) at least 30 days' notice. Such notice must be given within 30 days of the increase in charges or changes to the services or this agreement being notified to you. If you were not notified of these changes in advance, you must give notice of cancellation of the services affected to us and/or Virgin Media Payments (as applicable) within 30 days of receipt of your first bill following such increase in charges. If you do not give notice of cancellation within the specified period, you will be deemed to have accepted the increase in charges and/or the changes to the services and this agreement."

So basically, being as they notified customers last month of the price hike, you have around a week left (if you received a letter regarding the price hike) roughly to cancel the service. If you did not receive a letter regarding the price hike and you see the price go up on the next bill, you can cancel the service within 30 days from the date you receive said bill.

Edited by samjp26

That is pretty good of them. Orange used to have a similar clause in their contracts back in the day. It's only of benefit to those in the subsidy lock in though, anyone can give 30 days notice after that.

Â