Players Wage Increases

Villan4Life

Why is it we have rewarded at start of season pay increases and some even doubling the wages to at least 50% of the current first team squad.

Not sure what everyone was on but know that Benteke, Guzan, Weimann, Bennett, Lowton and Westwood all got new deals when some had 3/4 years left on contract.. 

Surely the 60/80k a week between them  all of whatever could have been used to get 2 really good, experienced player or younger players who have some high potential rather than being unknown?

Does any other club in premier league do this to their players after one half decent season?  i am  struggling to think of another, i doubt the teams around us do this to their newly signed players after an average season..

Thoughts?

Edited by limpid

I guess we increased wages for Benteke and Weimann to ensure they stayed at the club rather than risk losing the players that did much to keep us up last season Villan4Life.

In the case of the contracts of others I guess that may have happened because those they signed on first coming to the club were low on the basis that if they showed they were worth more they would get it.I doubt that those increases would be big cash as well as percentage wise.   

I doubt any of those players apart from maybe Benteke are on high wages now even after signing new deals. As with everything in football its about money, if we could afford to have higher wage bill like Newcastle or Everton then we wouldn't have to worry about relegation every season.

I doubt any of those players apart from maybe Benteke are on high wages now even after signing new deals. As with everything in football its about money, if we could afford to have higher wage bill like Newcastle or Everton then we wouldn't have to worry about relegation every season.

Why can't we?

Everton are no bigger than us and I'm sure we have a similar revenue to Newcastle.

The club's policy is to give unfancied or untested players a shot at the premier league. They are signed on very low wages and if they perform well, they are rewarded. This is important because if they play well in the premier league and we don't pay them well enough other teams will start circling and they'll want out.

Benteke and Guzan were massive in keeping us up and clearly quality players that we needed to tie down on better terms. Weimann's contract was expiring, same goes for Clark and Baker. Westwood and Lowton were on very very low wages for a premier league player, played pretty much every week last season and really improved in the last few months. 

Joe Bennett did not get a new contract. Obviously he did not perform well enough to earn one.

The club's policy is to give unfancied or untested players a shot at the premier league. They are signed on very low wages and if they perform well, they are rewarded. This is important because if they play well in the premier league and we don't pay them well enough other teams will start circling and they'll want out.

Benteke and Guzan were massive in keeping us up and clearly quality players that we needed to tie down on better terms. Weimann's contract was expiring, same goes for Clark and Baker. Westwood and Lowton were on very very low wages for a premier league player, played pretty much every week last season and really improved in the last few months. 

Joe Bennett did not get a new contract. Obviously he did not perform well enough to earn one.

Relieved to hear that.

• Like 1

Â