Kettering Town and that whole 'big football has gone crazy' debate

chrisp65

so on the day Mr G Bale agreed to work for £45k per day, 140 year old Kettering Town are being wound up in pursuit of about £30k

I know there's no real correlation between the two, but still, it's a funny old world.

that's part of the problem isn't it

The mahority of clubs are in private ownership and in reality, are a sole trader business for somebody to do what they like with. It's not a normal business though, if I don't like a change made to Asda pies I'll by my pies from Waitrose, but I can't change my football club. For that reason you have to feel sorry for any fans of Kettering. I'll be honest I don't know that much about them or their fan base. I suspect there will be a small crowd of people for whom going to Kettering games has been what they do for 50 or 60 years.

Equally, it could be an opportunity to get control of the club for a bit of fan ownership if a deal can be done.

It can be a new beginning with community ownership, but that takes lots of people to buy into the deal.

The mahority of clubs are in private ownership and in reality, are a sole trader business for somebody to do what they like with. It's not a normal business though, if I don't like a change made to Asda pies I'll by my pies from Waitrose, but I can't change my football club. For that reason you have to feel sorry for any fans of Kettering. I'll be honest I don't know that much about them or their fan base. I suspect there will be a small crowd of people for whom going to Kettering games has been what they do for 50 or 60 years.

Equally, it could be an opportunity to get control of the club for a bit of fan ownership if a deal can be done.

It can be a new beginning with community ownership, but that takes lots of people to buy into the deal.

I've got every sympathy with the fans. Most if not all of the ire should be directed at Ladak. For example, I wonder if they would be in the position if his poor decisions hadn't cost them television coverage they deserved after drawing Fulham in the cup.

They're so low in the pyramid now that they wont be much worse off starting a phoenix club. At least they wouldn't have to go through the inevitable slide that the financial hardship would have brought. It might not be the same as they've lost the 100+ years of history but I wish them well.

On a related point, my local team Nuneaton Borough went bust in 2008.  A phoenix club (Nuneaton Town) were started almost immediately and began the next season in the Southern League Midland division one, which is the 8th tier of the football pyramid and two divisions below where they were.   

After six games of the 2013/14 season they sit joint top of the Conference. They might be playing league football next season.   Going bust is not the end of the world. 

Edited by The_Rev

I've got every sympathy with the fans. Most if not all of the ire should be directed at Ladak. For example, I wonder if they would be in the position if his poor decisions hadn't cost them television coverage they deserved after drawing Fulham in the cup.

They're so low in the pyramid now that they wont be much worse off starting a phoenix club. At least they wouldn't have to go through the inevitable slide that the financial hardship would have brought. It might not be the same as they've lost the 100+ years of history but I wish them well.

What happened?

I don't think anything happened.  Kettering assumed their game would be on TV but the television companies decided to go with Manchester United vs Spurs and Liverpool vs Everton instead. 

Â