Kuala Lumpur & Borneo

GeorgeVilla82

I'm just about to book at trip to Malaysia for next Easter, 3 nights in KL and then flying to Borneo to spend some time with the orang-utans and a few days on the beach.

Any recommendations about places to go, things to see/ do/ eat or general tips?

I'm going to Borneo next year, the same time as you actually.

I've gone for Sarawak, which is the western half of the Malyasian part of the Island.

Some places you might like to research:

Kinabatangan River

Dannum Valley

Mount Kinabalu

Semengok / Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary

Headhunters trail

Turtle Island.

Depends what kind of thing you're after?

There's also the Indonesian part of the island, Kalimantan, I believe.

Also, if you like Diving than the Sipadan Islands are supposed to be amazing. 

Edited by Shillzz

If you go to Borneo, then you basically need to be on a tour, as far as I can see. They don't have much infrastructure etc, so you really need to know what you're doing.

This is the one I've gone for. It doesn't do a lot of the more famous attractions, but it sounds pretty cool.

http://www.intrepidtravel.com/uk/malaysia/wild-sarawak-49381

Edited by Shillzz

KL is pretty straightforward, you're going to want to see all the major attractions like Bukit Bintang and of course KLCC and pretty much the entire city centre. Try sampling a lot of the street food and the likes, the Malaysians pride themselves in their food.

Have never been to Borneo, but have been to Peninsular Malaysia (ie "Malaya") countless times. All I can say is EAT EAT EAT! :D the street fare they have on offer in the cities there is **** fantastic.

If I were you I would take a short 1-hour trip from KL down to Malacca to see the old Portuguese/Dutch forts and guns, if you like that sort of thing.

Edited by legov

Fantastic, thanks all. Shillzz - good tips, definitely want to do some diving if we can.

I'm really into good food and cooking, so will be eating a lot of street food. Also planning to see the Batu caves and Petronas Towers, as every visitor to KL does, I suppose. Flying with Malaysian Airlines on the new A380, which is also quite exciting (for me, anyway!)

Tonyh - keep me posted after your trip with any recommendations.

Beach Club Cafe in KL - its an experience! Good way to spend an evening.... perhaps not if you are going with your mrs!

I stopped in Kota Kinabalu and did a bit of walking around Mt Kinabalu - lovely part of the world! Also booked a boat to take us out to a few of the smaller islands for the day: Sapi, Manukan and Mamutik

Flying with Malaysian Airlines on the new A380, which is also quite exciting (for me, anyway!)

Same for me , done the 380 a few times already though so not quite as exciting for me :)

I may have mentioned it in another thread but I went to a resort called Pankor Laut in Malaysia ... Remote island accessible via an hour long boat trip from the main land ... Saw my first ever whale shark there and though I didn't Dive back in those days I know they do run diving trips ... Could be worth a quick google to see if its any good for you

Land in KL and have 24 hrs there

Then head on down to Bali (Kuta) for a day and then 3 days boat trip to Komodo followed by another day in Kuta

Them fly to Sri Lanka ... 5 days there touring about , safari etc

Then fly to Bangladesh and have 24 hrs in Dhaka before catching a flight to Paro in Bhutan

5 days trekking / sightseeing in Bhutan and then home via Kathmandu where i pickup a Qatar airline flight home via Doha

Got 12 hrs in Kathmandu , will be my 3rd time there but a chance to redo some of my photos as they were on film the first time I went !!

You found a stash of money for a trip this year or is it all going on the house ?

Sounds like a great trip  :)

Not sure yet... lot of money is going into the property but may have a bit left for a break but won't know my budget until after the dust has settled when I move in, which should be in the next four weeks. 

That trip sounds fantastic. Will definitely look at Pangkor Laut, it was on the radar already. We've both got our PADI certificates, and learnt to dive in the Maldvies where we saw a whale shark and manta rays - absolutely unforgettable, so would love to see them again.

Xela - will pass on details of the Beach Club Cafe to the other half, as a reward for being dragged around street markets. The 'George' in 'GeorgeVilla82 is short for Georgina :-)

Fantastic, thanks all. Shillzz - good tips, definitely want to do some diving if we can.

I'm really into good food and cooking, so will be eating a lot of street food. Also planning to see the Batu caves and Petronas Towers, as every visitor to KL does, I suppose. Flying with Malaysian Airlines on the new A380, which is also quite exciting (for me, anyway!)

I'm slightly annoyed at myself for not booking to go to the Sipadan Archipelago. 

However, I should get enough diving done in the Andaman and Great Barrier Barrier reef to make up for it. ;)

That trip sounds fantastic. Will definitely look at Pangkor Laut, it was on the radar already. We've both got our PADI certificates, and learnt to dive in the Maldvies where we saw a whale shark and manta rays - absolutely unforgettable, so would love to see them again.

Xela - will pass on details of the Beach Club Cafe to the other half, as a reward for being dragged around street markets. The 'George' in 'GeorgeVilla82 is short for Georgina :-)

Beach Club Cafe is just a normal bar/club which seems to be packed most nights (live music etc). Plenty of couples/groups in there but it is also appealing for the single gent as well. Something for everyone :-)

Â