Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Shouldnt we aim higher then Koumas? Just considering the PR babble we have been fed, Koumas isnt what crawls into mind.

What PR babble exactly? Anybody expecting Henry and Ronaldinho was always going to be disappointed.

Villa fans told to expect star signings

GENERAL Charles Krulak today assured Villa fans that quality signings are on the way

Martin O'Neill will receive all the financial backing he craves this summer.

"I have said many, many times that Randy Lerner will support Martin O'Neill in the obtaining of quality players",

"We saw that back in January."

This does not tell me we are to sign Jason Koumas from the champ.

And if you think you got Jason Koumas, and the next step would be Ronaldinho, well then you cant know much about football.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope all this talk of Koumas is to fill papers. I really think Koumas is rather an average player.

On the contrary I know Reo-Coker took some flak from the Spammers fans but I think he is a better player, very much in the mould of the legendary Ian Taylor!

People have to realize that the top of the Championship is not that much different to where we have been the last few years.

Not that I'm against the signing of Koumas, but if that were true would it not be a good reason not to buy from there - we're trying to push on?

I don't think it's a stretch to say West Brom have the best squad in that division, this coming season or infact the one just gone. Who would you put them on a level with in the Premier league? I'd say easily a team like Man City or Wigan. Koumas is their best player by quite some distance IMO, so does that put him on the same level as a Barton or a Baines?

Maybe not, but do you see what I mean?

And if you think you got Jason Koumas, and the next step would be Ronaldinho, well then you cant know much about football.

Nobody thinks that. That's absurd.

If Koumas was our only signing this summer I'd be extremely concerned. But nobody is suggesting that.

Part of me thinks if he had a fancier sounding name, or played in the Croatian 2nd division, he'd a be a lot more popular. I'm probably just being paraniod.

Are you capable of discussing things EVER without inferring that other posters know less than you?

And the 'star signings' headline you quoted was a local rag pinching a General Krulak post from here, and distorting what he said. Still, you'd realise that if you bothered to read anything other people had written properly once in a while.

GENERAL Charles Krulak today assured Villa fans that quality signings are on the way

I can't see anything about the proposed Koumas transfer that doesn't fit in with what the General said.

He'd be a quality signing, hopefully one of many.

People have to realize that the top of the Championship is not that much different to where we have been the last few years.

Not that I'm against the signing of Koumas, but if that were true would it not be a good reason not to buy from there - we're trying to push on?

I don't think it's a stretch to say West Brom have the best squad in that division, this coming season or infact the one just gone. Who would you put them on a level with in the Premier league? I'd say easily a team like Man City or Wigan. Koumas is their best player by quite some distance IMO, so does that put him on the same level as a Barton or a Baines?

Maybe not, but do you see what I mean?

Thats a good assessment. Koumas is by far their best player and I think he would prove to be quality in a better side. He is not world class, but not every player we sign can be.

Koumas is not a 'quality' or 'star' signing IMO.

'Quality' signing yes, 'star' signing, maybe not, but then hopefully O'Neill is just intent on putting together a quality squad capable of competing for the top 5 or 6. I don't want star names just for the sake of it. If we get three players to add to what is a good squad already, I'll be happy enough.

If Koumas was our only signing this summer I'd be extremely concerned. But nobody is suggesting that.

Part of me thinks if he had a fancier sounding name, or played in the Croatian 2nd division, he'd a be a lot more popular. I'm probably just being paraniod.

Just as absurd as saying this;

What PR babble exactly? Anybody expecting Henry and Ronaldinho was always going to be disappointed.

I can't see anything about the proposed Koumas transfer that doesn't fit in with what the General said.

No he wouldnt. Looking at our squad at this current moment, how the hell can you call Koumas a QUALITY signing. Each to their own, Koumas does not point towards the information we have been given.

No he wouldnt. Looking at our squad at this current moment, how the hell can you call Koumas a QUALITY signing. Each to their own, Koumas does not point towards the information we have been given.

Why isn't he quality? He looks quality to me. And what's our squad got to with whether he's quality or not. He's better than McCann, Davis and Gardner at the very least.

So direct quotes from board members, assuming the General is as ive got not idea what is actual role is, does no count PR babble?

Just as absurd as saying this;

Nobody was expecting Henry or Ronaldinho. Were they?

It's all in the delivery TRL. Only one of those statements comes across as obnoxious.

So direct quotes from board members, assuming the General is as ive got not idea what is actual role is, does no count PR babble?

come on, play nice please. blandyThe general said money would be made available for quality signings. How on earth is that "PR babble"?

What has the General said then? "I think we will sign some quality players", maybe the manager and your opinion on what constitutes quality differs. Ever thought of that?