Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Luke Moore, here's an idea that has just come to me (usual caveat in force), what if a deal which was , say, Luke Moore plus 9M for Darren Bent.

How would people react to that?

To be perfectly honest I think I'd take it. But I'd KNOW we're giving Charlton a player who will definitely succeed in the Premiership when he gets a proper chance. Hell he's succeeded already and that's with cameo appearances. But there aren't too many Bent's in the league (oh gawd there's a joke there somewhere :)).

I think, again usual caveat, that Bent will go for slightly more (no pun intended) than 10m due to the fact that a couple of clubs will want him

I would think that Liverpool would be his most likely destination given the fact that

a) they have a good relationship with Charlton - see Scott Carson loan

B) Liverpool clearly need a striker as Crouch and Kuyt will not win you much

c) all evidence points to the fact that they ARE in the market for a striker

d) they are top 4, and no other top 4 team have such a dearth of striking quality

I think they are in for a striker, but Benitez's comments today about not just doing nearly what the others doing and not just nearly investing as much mean to me that they are aiming even higher than Bent. I think Plop are actually looking at the likes of David Villa dn E'to for example.

Luke moore and 7m and I'd still be gutted. I think lukes a 3m player and bent a 10m player love the both of them, would love to have both of them in the same squad. Damn! thats HARD!

It is hard, and I'd be gutted to lose Moore REGARDLESS of the scenario, but as I've said - there aren't too many Darren Bent's around and if you have the chance to sign one then you do it without thought or sentiment.

Bringing Craig Bellamy in would be the expected thing in my opinion, let's hope MON does the opposite....

[pedant]

We can't do the opposite, he's not ours to sell :P

[/pedant]

I wouldn't mind Robbie Keane, but I doubt we'd get him due to the form he finished the season in.

I'd like to think that if Luke went to the Championship, he would score loads.

But his brother didn't. Stephan was rated by a lot of people and he has struggled big time at QPR.

In my opinion Luke is a better player than his brother. But sometimes the fact that young players are our "own" clouds our judgement to how good they are.

Bellamy, despite his personal antics, is a very intelligent player. He knows when to take an opportunity on himself and when to lay off the ball to a player who is in a better goalscoring opportunity, example, against Barcelona! I would welcome that injection into the club, as with MON's man mngt skills he'll put this guy on the right track.

But sometimes the fact that young players are our "own" clouds our judgement to how good they are.

Very true for the rest of the squad who have become our "own" also i.e. Angel. It's hard to let go sometimes and whether we know they should go, we just don't want them to.

I think MON will get things right, out with the trash and in with decent players, top quality or not, who have signed up to play for the cause not just for their pocket money!