Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it is not opinions it's just pure bull to say that an unproven goalkeeper from Watford is superior than a proven national player from Denmark who's been called one of the best in the world by someone like Buffon. That just ain't right. It's like saying I'm better than Ronaldinho. It's simply just not true, not about opinions.

Completely different. Foster has played a full season in the Premiership and a full season in the Championship. That is enough to base an opinion on how good he is.

The latter part of the comment is unintelligent and absurd.

Do we really want a player who is attracting the attention of Bristol City!!

There is nothing anywhere to suggest Bristol City are interested in Naismith. The only reason the name is mentioned is because their manager happened to be at the same match as MON. He could have been looking at anybody or nobody.

I think it's pretty clear Grant that there will be a new keeper coming in. I like Tommy too, but it's looking like MON wants a new one.

I suppose the question is then...is that because Sorensen isnt good enough or Taylor isnt?

Alot of comments have come out about no players being forced out. Perhaps a younger player like Foster or Gordon would come in to provide competition and replace Sorensen over a period of time rather than the '1 in, Sorensen out' that so far seems to be the view.

I'm pretty sure that either Boruc or Gordon will replace Sorenson as No.1 immediately.

I suppose the question is then...is that because Sorensen isnt good enough or Taylor isnt?

Alot of comments have come out about no players being forced out. Perhaps a younger player like Foster or Gordon would come in to provide competition and replace Sorensen over a period of time rather than the '1 in, Sorensen out' that so far seems to be the view.

This is where Sorensen's status gets in the way. I don't think we're yet big enough to keep a current international goalkeeper on the bench, so the only option would be to sell Tommy. Realistically, as soon as we sign someone who is clearly designed to be a number one, Tommy is going to get itchy feet.

And it is not opinions it's just pure bull to say that an unproven goalkeeper from Watford is superior than a proven national player from Denmark who's been called one of the best in the world by someone like Buffon. That just ain't right. It's like saying I'm better than Ronaldinho. It's simply just not true, not about opinions.

Completely different. Foster has played a full season in the Premiership and a full season in the Championship. That is enough to base an opinion on how good he is.

The latter part of the comment is unintelligent and absurd.

Also, comparing outfield players with keepers is a totally different thing. Playing in the Championship, Premiership or in Scotland makes no difference, a keeper's job is the same no matter what and he would have to show the equal amount of smartness at every level and that does not go for a midfielder or a striker. Handling and saving the ball is one thing, but controlling the box (corners/set-pieces), saving penalties and kicking is how you get rated as a keeper and you could prove yourself at every level.

Also, comparing outfield players with keepers is a totally different thing. Playing in the Championship, Premiership or in Scotland makes no difference, a keeper's job is the same no matter what and he would have to show the equal amount of smartness at every level and that does not go for a midfielder or a striker. Handling and saving the ball is one thing, but controlling the box (corners/set-pieces), saving penalties and kicking is how you get rated as a keeper and you could prove yourself at every level.

I see where you are coming from but it's not quite as simple as that. There's the pressure of playing at the higher level. Turning up at Old Trafford in front of 76,000 people might turn a keeper into a bowl of jelly - a keeper who might ordinarily keep effortless clean sheets at a lower level. So in that sense, until the person has done it at the high level, you don't know how they'll react. That could have been Richard Wright's problem.

The difference in being good and great can sometimes be in the person's head, not in their gloves.

Does MON realise there are other leagues outside of scotland?

:winkold:

Most managers do this , use the market they are familiar with to bring in players they believe can do a job immediately. (Amittedly it hasn't quite turned out that way with Petrov for example.)

Craig Levein tried to bring down Scottish based players to Leicester (Sylla, Douglas, Kisnorbo and De Vries). The difference is Martin O'Neill is able to sign up the creme de la creme of Scottish football in guys like Petrov, Maloney and possibly Gordon / Boruc/ Naismith.

I've seen Naismith a few times in the flesh he is a nippy striker who can also play on the right hand side of midfield. Fast, tough with a confident finish but quite small. An excellent prospect but at the moment that's all he is in comparison to Villa's strikers. For me. this signing would be made as a star of the future rather than a significant signing from Martin O'Neill's transfer kitty. Definitely a signing worth making if there proves to be truth in it.

Yeah Bozzy, and Roddy Collins brought Irish league players to Carlisle and got them relegated quicksmart :) They then went on consecutive promotion campaigns :)

I see where you are coming from but it's not quite as simple as that. There's the pressure of playing at the higher level. Turning up at Old Trafford in front of 76,000 people might turn a keeper into a bowl of jelly - a keeper who might ordinarily keep effortless clean sheets at a lower level. So in that sense, until the person has done it at the high level, you don't know how they'll react. That could have been Richard Wright's problem.

The difference in being good and great can sometimes be in the person's head, not in their gloves.

Yeah of course you are right, but I think you got my point in my poorly executed rambling :) All in all, being a goalkeeper is a totally different sport than being an outfield player so to speak....

The problem I have is I just don't see there being enough quality players there, and if they seem outstanding, it's because they are shining in a very poor league.

*prepares to get slated by celtic fans*

Yeah of course you are right, but I think you got my point in my poorly executed rambling :) All in all, being a goalkeeper is a totally different sport than being an outfield player so to speak....

Yeah, I got your point and I agree with it. It is basically a different sport to them altogether.

These aren't quite Irish league players mate.

On the off chance that you actually didn't get my angle. If you pick a league familiar to you, and that league is fundamentally inferior to the one you are now employed in, there is only a small amount of players to pick from in it, and sooner or later you will no longer be improving your present squad. Arsenal took him on trial and let him go back up, now Bristol Rovers are after him...

The problem I have is I just don't see there being enough quality players there, and if they seem outstanding, it's because they are shining in a very poor league.

I think MON is canny enough to know about the outstanding ones and only target them. I mean Maloney looks a decent player, Perov has shown what he can do in patches (needs to be more consistent) and from what I have heard Boruc is a class goalie.

I think for Sutton and Agathe they were stop gaps.

I'm not a Celtic fan.

Craig Gordon has shone at international level and in the last year has attracted interest from Bayern Munich, Man Utd and Arsenal not to mention praise from Buffon.

Boruc has performed admirably in the Champions League and has had a great season in the SPL.

Naismith, I admit has not proved he is of Premiership class as he has only done it at SPL level.

However, I suspect that aside from the goalkeepers who are probably the two best currently playing in Britain. MON has bigger fish to fry over the summer. Remember with those bigger players O'Neill will have to take his time making his decision , attempting to convince them Villa Park is the place to be next season. I'm certain the early player rumours are nowhere near the extent of O'Neill's ambitions - people just need to be pateint.

What would we do with Foster? He ain't better than Sörensen and if he don't want to sit on Uniteds bench, then why would he sit on ours?

If we don't bid for Sneijder now I think he's off to Valencia. I think that Ajax will lower the fee so it fits Valencias if there's no higher bid.

I am a Sorenson fan but Foster is a far superior keeper and about 10 years younger so will only improve.

Totally bullsh*t. He's not better than Sörensen. Not in a million years.

An opinion is not bullsh*t so don't suggest otherwise. Perhaps you could intelligently respond as to why you believe this rather than respond in the manner you have done.

What?!?! :shock:

Sorenson isn't in Foster's league!

Have you seen the saves he's made for the past 2 seasons?....and the mistakes Sorenson's made!

At VP for the Watford game I was right behind the goal about 4 rows back in the Holte, and you could hear Foster screaming at his defence organising really well. I would have foster for 3m plus Sorenson, and hes far younger.

Have you seen the saves he's made for the past 2 seasons?....and the mistakes Sorenson's made!

The same could be said the other way round.

Having seen a lot more of Sorensen this season than Foster (obviously), I can think of one big mistake that Tommy has made resulting in a goal (Boro away), and can think of two for Foster just off the top of my head (Robinson's goal for Spurs, Vassell's goal for Man City). If I can think of those, I'm fairly sure there must be more.

Every goalkeeper makes mistakes.

These aren't quite Irish league players mate.

On the off chance that you actually didn't get my angle. If you pick a league familiar to you, and that league is fundamentally inferior to the one you are now employed in, there is only a small amount of players to pick from in it, and sooner or later you will no longer be improving your present squad. Arsenal took him on trial and let him go back up, now Bristol Rovers are after him...

Yes but O'Neill is picking from the small amount of players he suspects could cut it in the Premiership.

I agree with you on Naismith, the dury is out on whether he could cut it on the Premiership or not - especially ata club with Villa's ambitions.

Bristol City's interest is irrelevant, there is no way he'll be heading there.