Interrailing

Milfner

Right then, as you've probably all guessed by now I'm going interrailing round Europe (predominantly the Eastern area) and just looking for tips etc.

Flying to Berlin on the 31st July and coming back from Croatia (Zadar to be specific) on the 23rd August. 

Planning to go to Berlin (obviously), Prague, Budapest, Ljubjana/Lake Bled, Zagreb (thought this could be Belgrade and Sarajevo if it's doable) and then hit the Croatian coast for the last week or so. 

So yeah, anything/where I should/shouldn't go? How big should the backpack I'm taking be? Good hostels? Etc etc

Cheers guys! 

whats the plan - party or attaractions and museums etc.?

Attractions (with some drinking) and then when in Croatia we're planning on sitting on beaches etc 

I've always fancied a train journey across Europe, staying in a different country every night or two. 

Who did you book your train tickets through or are you doing it as you go?

This site is good for train journeys and planning etc:

http://www.seat61.com/

Berlin is awesome, i went on one of this tours last year, same in Prague, their zoo is really nice. Budapest was bigger than i expected. But its nice, dont forget to taste some goulash there :)

Ljubljana is great but you'll see all the interesting stuff in a day, day tours to lake Bled, lake Bohinj or Postojna caves are great.

Switch Zagreb for Sarajevo and Belgrade if possible. Sarajevo is different to all other places you mentioned, they call it Jerusalem of Europe :). I can give you contact for a local guide there, i was on his tour last summer.

Go to Dubrovnik and Sibenik (Croatia, Dalmatia), Bol on island Brac and Zrce on island Pag are party places for summer.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Berlin - Cats Pyjamas hostel was 16 Euro a night, and was a fantastic hostel right next to Hermannplatz and its U-bahn stop. Highly recommended for me. Obviously Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag, Berlin Wall, etc are all must sees, and it rocketed into my 2nd favourite city in the world after Roma. Gareth recommended a good currywurst place, Konoppke's Imbiss. 

Praha - We stayed at the Hostel Mango, decently priced, and as we found out, right near Karluv Most (Charles Bridge) and therefore a short walk into the old town square. They do free tours (with tipping optional at the end) in the city, one at 11am one at 2pm, in the old town square near the astrological clock. Recommended too as it gives you a good feel about the place and what its about. Obviously plenty of beer to consume when you're there too, remember CZK to EUR is about 25:1 and 28:1 in GBP if you get a good rate. Try and mentally translate to pounds what you're getting, as it can seem really cheap and it ain't.

Slovenia as Slovenian asserts, you'll do Ljubljana in a day. Hostel we stayed there was called Villa Veselova. They do lots of expeds out to Bled, and the caves, and all the Slovenian hotspots. One drawback it was not right near the city centre but Ljub is so small that doesn't matter. Beautiful little jewel of a city IMO, loved it there, so nice to look at, obviously the clash of Slavic, Italian and Germanic styles there from it's history.

The rest I can't help with I'm afraid, but at least you'll be going to Hrvatska after they become EU members so travel there will be fine I'm sure.

Take one bag if you can, have a padlock on it, and though it sounds so ghey, take a bumbag. Mine had my interrail ticket, pen to fill it in, my keys to my bag and my lockbox,my EHIC and my passport. All are ideal to carry around with you. DO good research on the hostels beforehand, take another bigger padlock for the hostels with lockers as its better safe than sorry. Towel recommended, as are a few washing tablets so you can take minimal clothes. PLug adapter as well, for charging camera/phone, most hostels seem to have WiFi these days. Oh towel is a must, microfibre ones are ace and dry well.

I bloody well enjoyed it, spent less time in some places than I'd like but otherwise smashed it. Have a ball!

• Like 1

Go to HVAR when you're in Croatia, you can get there from Split. One of the best islands I've been too.

When you're in Zadar, check out the Sea Organ.

• Like 1

Â