Interrailing next month

theunderstudy

Hi all. Next month as of the 9th June, I'll be starting on an interrailing tour of mid/West Europe.

I'm starting in Berlin -> Prague -> Vienna -> Bratislava -> Ljubljana -> Milan -> Nice -> Paris

Youth hostelling and all in the respective cities all booked and whatnot.

But just thought I'd ask for peoples recommendations for interrailing travel, their experiences, how much kit/travelling stuff they took and the best things to do in said cities without spending too much. 

Cheers!

You are following a similar route to me, although I started in Paris and ended in Barcelona.

One thing I would recommend for something different is to visit the High Tatras mountain range in north Slovakia near the Polish border.  Maybe do it instead of Bratislava.  Go to this hostel http://www.gingermonkey.eu/  You will not regret it.

I'd also strongly advise adding Budapest to your itinerary.  Fantastic city.

Edited by Wainy316

Cheers Wainy/Steve some good choices. Unfortunately I'm going with 4 others so unfortunately the Tatras look unlikely although Lake Bled could well be an option!!

stay on the train at Bratislava and just keep going ..it's a hole

I'd echo Budapest it's arguably better than anywhere you are visiting on your list

and the best things to do in said cities without spending too much.

Berlin : you can walk most of it for yourself , lot of the old buildings have a historical interest board out the front .. Checkpoint Charlie is undergoing renovation but the old pictures are very interesting

if you want to go inside the Bundestag you have to book in advance now

Museum area is interesting (if you like your culture ) .. Nefertiti's bust (snigger) is there

look out for Schweinshaxe on the menu in Germany .. It's Pork Knuckle with all the crackling and is the food of the God's IMO and a big factor of my expanding waistline ...it's a big meal and not for girls :)

you can join a beer tour whereby you peddle around Berlin whilst draft beer is server from the table

Beer%20Bike%20-%20Berlin.jpg

Prague : mainly I was in the bars but Klementinum and Charles bridge are the tourists must see's .. oh and some astrological clock that everyone goes and looks at !!

Vienna : the Americans all get of the coach and head for the Starbuck's next to the opera house but the opera house tour is worthwhile ... they sell cheap standing tickets on the day of a performance so if you fancy seeing something look for the queue's forming and join it .. Near by is the Sacher Hotel home of the world famous Sacher Torte .. expensive but has to be done

Bratislava : assuming you survive the Neanderthal locals and the corrupt police then Bratislava castle is the place to go .. you can look out into Austria and Hungary from the tower

Ljubljana : Lake Bled is the place to go .. Ljubljana itself you won't need long to see the castle is Ok and the old town has a good vibe of bars and restaurants but hardly earth shattering

Milan & Nice I've not been to surprisingly :)

Paris : I really like Notre Dame and spend a good few hours walking around inside it , the Louvre is huge , the Mona Lisa disappointing ... boat trip along the Seine will give you a good view of Paris

it's bloody expensive for a beer though , you could pay around 15 euros in the tourist areas

God I sound a bit dull ... I do drink beer by night I promise you

Edited by tonyh29

Most places have been covered well but thought I'd add in on MILAN and NICE...

MILAN - Not loads to do, see the Duomo, pretty impressive. San Siro tour was pretty cool too.

For drinking - head towards the Navigili (canals) south of the centre, loads of cool little bars, most weekends they do a free buffet (obv providing you buy the beer). Near there I think is a piazza where all the locals take beers and drink, there is a shop right on it. God laugh.

NICE - Beautiful city, loads of cool little bars in the Old town near the sea. Have a stumble around and you'll find somewhere good to drink.

Worth taking a trip up to the top of the hill, great views of the cote azur or whatever it is.

ALSO, if you're going from Milan to Nice, the train goes through Monte Carlo, it's worth getting off and having a look around. I did the same thing, it's not that big of a place.

I'm starting in Berlin -> Prague -> Vienna -> Bratislava -> Ljubljana -> Milan -> Nice -> Paris

How long will you stay in Ljubljana? Bratislava and Ljubljana are both small, you can see most of the interesting things in a day.

You can do day trips to the coast (Izola, Piran, Portoroz... ), Postojna cave, lake Bled and Bohinj etc. have a look here, there are some nice places to see, it all depends what you want to do :)

let me know if you need any info on Slovenia

Most places have been covered well but thought I'd add in on MILAN and NICE...

MILAN - Not loads to do, see the Duomo, pretty impressive. San Siro tour was pretty cool too.

For drinking - head towards the Navigili (canals) south of the centre, loads of cool little bars, most weekends they do a free buffet (obv providing you buy the beer). Near there I think is a piazza where all the locals take beers and drink, there is a shop right on it. God laugh.

NICE - Beautiful city, loads of cool little bars in the Old town near the sea. Have a stumble around and you'll find somewhere good to drink.

Worth taking a trip up to the top of the hill, great views of the cote azur or whatever it is.

ALSO, if you're going from Milan to Nice, the train goes through Monte Carlo, it's worth getting off and having a look around. I did the same thing, it's not that big of a place.

Cheers for this! Looking forward to Nice. We're going to Monaco on one of the days we're in Nice.

How long will you stay in Ljubljana? Bratislava and Ljubljana are both small, you can see most of the interesting things in a day.

You can do day trips to the coast (Izola, Piran, Portoroz... ), Postojna cave, lake Bled and Bohinj etc. have a look here, there are some nice places to see, it all depends what you want to do :)

let me know if you need any info on Slovenia

In Ljubljana and Bratislava 1 day and night respectively! Thanks for the tips too, Lake Bled seems a real possibility.

MILAN - 

For drinking - head towards the Navigili (canals) south of the centre, loads of cool little bars, most weekends they do a free buffet (obv providing you buy the beer). 

Most weekends?  More or less every bar every night does 'aperitvo'. Free food for all customers.

It's pretty vital too because otherwise the place is pretty expensive.  I remember beer being decenlty priced in the shops though.

Â