New Laptop Problem

West

Hi guys,

I've just purchased a new Packard Bell TE11 (ok packard bell is rubbish and all that) but it was cheap and a decent spec for my needs.

Now to my surprise I switched it on and was confronted with the message;

'Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation.'

This message appears in a boot loop and there seems no way past it.

To make matters worse there is no recovery CD included.

Any ideas?

(Please no get linux/ubuntu, windows is rubbish posts)

There are ways around it with bootable USB sticks  but if it gives you this from the start I'd return it sharpish. Not worth the headache. There are gazillions of options out there

This was purchased from Dabs Outlet through ebay. 

Their customer service is woeful, to return the item they are saying I need to pay for the delivery costs but they will only refund upto 7.95 + VAT. They have suggested using parcelmonkey.com for the collection which offers cheap prices through city link however the reviews for this are awful. 

Royal Mail are charging £24.50 for recorded delivery which I would much rather prefer to use.

What are my rights, how do I go about getting this issue resolved without me incurring unnecessary costs?

Edited by West

SoGA obliges the seller to bear the cost of postage, if they're required to repair or replace the goods. There's no set limit for the cost of returning the goods, but ultimately it'll come down to the vague notion of what's reasonable. You can't use an expensive sameday courier and spend £200 returning an item that cost a fiver and expect to be recompensed.

Was it initially sent to you via recorded delivery?

SoGA obliges the seller to bear the cost of postage, if they're required to repair or replace the goods. There's no set limit for the cost of returning the goods, but ultimately it'll come down to the vague notion of what's reasonable. You can't use an expensive sameday courier and spend £200 returning an item that cost a fiver and expect to be recompensed.

Was it initially sent to you via recorded delivery?

It was sent via Royal Mail but in the end I had to collect it from their depot myself. Not sure if it was recorded...

Â