the fastest premier league goal for villa?

Jimzk5

Crikey, I'd almost forgotten just how good we were going forward. Fantastic first goal. Some of our defending looked as dodgy as today's team, mind. That was Big Ron for you - lots of goals at each end but usually more for us.

Except Paul McGrath won PFA player of the season.

Our defending was sound. More than sound. We were a very attack orientated side sure (understatement) and that had its pitfalls, but the talent was there.

Dwight Yorke' at Coventry has to be the quickest - I'll always remember this cuz it was my wedding day.

I got the master of ceremony to keep me informed (as my wife was expecting my full attention to be on our wedding day :( ) So when he came to me so early I thought he was winding me up I had no alterative but to enter conversation with him much to my wifes discussed.

'Can't you leave that bloody club alone for just one day'

Start as you mean to go on that was always my motto :)

• Like 1

Except Paul McGrath won PFA player of the season.

Our defending was sound. More than sound. We were a very attack orientated side sure (understatement) and that had its pitfalls, but the talent was there.

I was referring specifically to the incidents in the video clip you posted, where Wednesday really should have scored. Have a look at 1:27, 1:46 and 4:57 for example, where they sliced through our defence in a way that made me feel queasily as if I was back at the Chelsea match on 23 Dec 2012.

Funny, I thought it would have been uncontroversial that under Atkinson our attacking style of football made us vulnerable at the back, McGrath's brilliance notwithstanding, but we scored lots of goals so it didn't matter.

I was referring specifically to the incidents in the video clip you posted, where Wednesday really should have scored. Have a look at 1:27, 1:46 and 4:57 for example, where they sliced through our defence in a way that made me feel queasily as if I was back at the Chelsea match on 23 Dec 2012.

Funny, I thought it would have been uncontroversial that under Atkinson our attacking style of football made us vulnerable at the back, McGrath's brilliance notwithstanding, but we scored lots of goals so it didn't matter.

Wednesday at the time had some magnificent footballers too, it's worth baring that in mind watching that particular clip.

Yes, we played a very expansive brand of football and that at times left us open to the counter. My comment was more aimed towards the assertion that our defence then and now are even remotely comparable. It's silly.

Anyway, that was my first ever game. That was the first goal I saw us score from the Holte end.... Happy days.

Â