Lord of the Rings: Online

islingtonclaret

Somehow I've only just discovered about LoTRO opening its doors to everyone. I almost saw it an full triumph as I am a Mac user, and they released this free for Macs too last month: except the download is SEVENTY, yes, SEVENTY Gb! So, I'm going to use it on Bootcamp.

Has anyone had a crack at this over the past 3-4 years? This will the first attempt I have at this MMORPG lark and I think Rings has the lore already written perfectly. The problem I have is that I find the gamer population and useability of these games to be really unhelpful and difficult to learn/cooporate with. If I'm going to sign up to the Elder Scrolls Online (which I expect I will) I'd best start somewhere.

I used to play and I have a couple of level-capped characters on there. It's a very, very solid MMO, and if you like your Tolkien you're going to be hooked pretty quickly. The environments are really beautiful and the story is great and sweeps you along the levels in a very enjoyable manner.

I've played a lot of MMO's and it has easily the best community i've come across. Hardly any idiots and most people seemed to be very friendly, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Regarding a learning curve, there's a great 'tutorial' starter area for new characters which covers all the basics you will need.

The only issue I had with it was the combat mechanics can be a very clunky and don't really flow. This might have been changed in the last year or so though. Also, it is free to play, but it's very restrictive unless you get a subscription (many questing areas locked etc).

Certainly a great place to have your first MMO experience though. Good luck.

What D1 said. I used to love this game, but stopped playing when my kin split, followed by my BB connection being unpredictable for a six week stretch.

Really friendly community.

Â