Week 5 - Tebow time?

Tegis

Martellus Bennett on Ahmad Bradshaw: "Bradshaw’s like a pit bull dog. He’s an aggressive guy. He’s a tough little bastard."

After Martellus Bennett hurt his knee, Ahmad Bradshaw rubbed it for him in the huddle. How was it? "He's no masseuse. I wouldn't pay for it"

Bennett's reaction to Bradshaw's on field massage? "This is getting a little weird," he said.

I think the score flattered the Broncos. Pats went up then took their foot off the gas. We improved, but as soon as McGahee made the schoolboy error and turned up-field before catching the ball I knew we'd blown it. I'm still struggling to accurately put us into a power ranking. A bit like Villa but with a HOFer in the side, we could beat or lose to anyone on our day at the moment.

Yeah that was pleasing. Plus I do like the Saints. Good to see the Queefs lose too. All in all, damage limitation in the AFC West this week. A trip to SD next week. Divisional games are the only 'easy' games we get this season !!

Divisional games are the only 'easy' games we get this season !!

I see 8 possible wins from here if the D improves, and that's stretching it quite a lot. Plus we are very up and down, even during games.

I think this will be my last dispatch from the Replacement Officials Front: I had a conversation with Jim Core, the NAIA ref, World Geography teacher and public school activities director from Meridian, Idaho, and came away thinking: The NFL's lucky the first three weeks of this season weren't more of a debacle.

Core was a late replacement for the referee on the crew due to officiate the Giants-Cowboys game on opening night. Because the ref on the league's top-rated crew in the preseason had been injured, the league tabbed Core to pull double-duty on the first weekend, doing the Giants-Cowboys game with a new crew and the Raiders-Chargers Monday night with his own crew. "I didn't even meet the guys on my crew for the Giants game until that day in the hotel in New Jersey,'' he said. The league got away with one there.

Officials often say chemistry among the crew, and the relationship between the ref and six other field officials, is vital. And this crew did a creditable job that night. You barely noticed they were borderline amateurs. "What surprised me about that night,'' said Core, "is I'd been told there would be a difference between the intensity of the preseason and the regular season, and I didn't really notice one. The game really wasn't faster.''

After the game, Core said he remembers Roger Goodell coming in to congratulate the officials on a job well done. He doesn't remember exactly what Goodell said because, as Core said, "I was in the back, doing my own little happy dance."

Three other observations from Core: He didn't like how hard and how intensely Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano worked the crew during the Giants-Bucs game in Week 2 and called the crashing of the Victory Formation "something you'd see at a high school level.'' Core's crew had the Chargers twice, and he said Philip Rivers "was pretty much a jerk'' (though he wouldn't give specifics) and said one player after the Falcons-Chargers game in Week 3 said, "You guys are horrible." And he praised the class of Giants coach Tom Coughlin, saying he "treated us as total professionals."

AFC standings (playoff tiebreaker order)

1. Texans: 5-0 (1st South)

2. Ravens: 4-1 (1st North)

3. Chargers: 3-2 (1st West)

4. Patriots: 3-2 (1st East)

===

5. Bengals: 3-2 (2nd North)

6. Steelers: 2-2 (3rd North)

===

7. Colts: 2-2 (2nd South)

8. Broncos: 2-3 (2nd West)

9. Jets: 2-3 (2nd East)

10. Dolphins: 2-3 (3rd East)

11. Bills: 2-3 (4th East)

12. Raiders: 1-3 (3rd West)

13. Jaguars: 1-4 (3rd South)

14. Titans: 1-4 (4th South)

15. Chiefs: 1-4 (4th West)

16. Browns: 0-5 (4th North)

Tiebreakers

E2. Jets over Dolphins, Bills: 2-0 h2h vs. 0-1 vs. 0-1

E3. Dolphins over Bills: 0-1 AFCE vs. 0-2

S3. Jaguars over Titans: 1-1 AFCS vs. 0-1

3. Chargers over Patriots: 3-0 AFC vs. 3-1

6. Steelers over Colts: 1-2 AFC vs. 0-1

13. Jaguars over Chiefs: 1-2 AFC vs. 0-3

14. Titans over Chiefs: 1-3 SoV vs. 1-4

NFC standings

1. Falcons: 5-0 (1st South)

2. Vikings: 4-1 (1st North)

3. Cardinals: 4-1 (1st West)

4. Eagles: 3-2 (1st East)

===

5. 49ers: 4-1 (2nd West)

6. Bears: 4-1 (2nd North

===

7. Rams: 3-2 (3rd West)

8. Seahawks: 3-2 (4th West)

9. Giants: 3-2 (2nd East)

10. Cowboys: 2-2 (3rd East)

11. Packers: 2-3 (3rd North)

12. Redskins: 2-3 (4th East)

13. Lions: 1-3 (4th North)

14. Bucs: 1-3 (2nd South)

15. Panthers: 1-4 (3rd South)

16. Saints: 1-4 (4th South)

Tiebreakers

E1. Eagles over Giants: 1-0 h2h

N1. Vikings over Bears: 1-0 NFCN vs. 0-1

W1. Cardinals over 49ers: 11-9 SoV vs. 7-12

S3. Panthers over Saints: 1-0 h2h

W3. Rams over Seahawks: 1-0 h2h

2. Vikings over Cardinals: 2-0 NFC vs. 2-1

5. 49ers over Bears: 1-0 common vs. 0-1 (common opp: Packers)

6. Rams over Giants: 3-2 NFC vs. 2-2

7. Seahawks over Giants: 3-2 NFC vs. 2-2

11. Packers over Redskins: 5-5 SoV vs. 2-7

13. Lions over Bucs: 1-2 NFC vs. 1-3

At this point, I'd say that the Giants need to go at least 3-1 against the NFCW to make the playoffs, unless they win the division.

Â